Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I gently snap-removed the center trim around the radio, the radio itself (4-screws).

Then I removed the upper cubby-hole; (1) screw under the felt bottom pad and gently snapped up the sides.

Gently snap-removed the center console trim. Moved the tranny to low and sorta-removed (2-screws) the 12-volt cig-lighter outlet and empty tray, (moved tranny back to get the key out). Its tough to get free without removig cables.

So, the only 12-volt power wires I see is the cig-lighter and it is way down and dang tight to get at.

Are there others I don't reconnize?

Note, I installed the Sirius antenna under the top speaker grill along side the speaker itself. The Sirius portable unit fits in the lower tray alongside the cig-lighter - nice. I might plug its output into the front aux (easy) or go behind with a tiny pushbutton multi-pole switch (will act like the Aux-inserted/shunt, but no visible cable).

Now, I just need some power to connect a 12-volt to 5-volt convertor. Granted I could run wires to the fuse block, but that's another task - and I don't know where the closest fuse block is just yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
TDK,

Why are you doing this?

I guess I'm not following the Sirius installation with XM already on board.

·
Registered
551 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
TDK,

Why are you doing this?

I guess I'm not following the Sirius installation with XM already on board.
I was thinking the same thing? What is the advantage of doing this? You can add the sirius package to your xm radio and get the most popular sirius stations.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
maybe hes like me.... I like my sirius radio because it can record 45 min of music- it can alert you to preset favorite songs or artist... and I already have sirius setup for several years...

But this is how I did my sirius radios-- a little bit of velcro works to hold it in place....
Also I just ran the power wire to the rear power plug- and ended up using the AUDIO OUT/AUDIO in connector. The antenna I ran the wire and eventually placed it in the top left corner- wire tucked away- most of my passengers have never noticed the antenna sitting there... in the pic I left wire out so that you can see --- but its been tucked away.
As far as power... the Sirius unit I have has an Auto shut off feature- I think its after 45 min of no button pressing- it shuts off.... (if I dont manually shut it off).

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear all,

The reason I am not using the installed XM, (at some extra monthly cost), is that we have had a "Lifetime" Sirius membership with NO monthly fees ever, (we paid a $500 one-time fee shortely after Sirius started up and needed cash).

The primary reasons to have the satellite for us - were the very limited local FM - as well as the relativley vast distances to travel, (as in an hour or two at a time), without any FM radio reception, (that we care for anyway).

The portable "head unit" and the "boom box" that we bought from Sirius initially have since been upgraded, (but the lifetime membership at no cost was maintained).

In the house, we use it within a "boom box" with a permanently-installed antenna.

We always travel together out of town by car, (so there is no one home to listen at the boombox).

Therefore, we transfer the Sirius into the car's head unit bracket, (about 0.5" high x 4" wide), when we are both in the Traverse on a trip.

For us, the Traverse is only used for out of town trips, because she has an 08 Rabbit and I have a company pickup.

We seldom bother to listen to satellite on short in-town trips, and the FM is fine anyway for that.

It seems that this arrangement works for us !

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost done,

First pic is without aux (using FM output). Second pic is with aux output.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
at the angle your radio is at-- can you read the display ok?
On mine I have it a little lower- which sort of tilts it a bit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rbarrios,

I think the angle might be OK, but the next trip will tell.

I can enlarge the display (as you might know), and change the contrast etc, so it might be fine, (its not like its a required data point, just change the channel).

I still have to figure out the switching arrangement of the aux connection, (how it opens/shunts the normal audio and inputs the 3-wire - 2-channel aux. And most importantly, if its worth it to install a pushbutton switch, (to eliminate the cable in front).

Regards

·
Registered
551 Posts
Re: Easiest 12-volt power point behind the dash? Anything besides the cig-lighte

jflowers99 said:
Why not just convert the system? Beats uncliping and running..

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-connect-sirgm2l-p-6600.html
$130 bucks with the antena, but worth it if you ask me! Personally I just added the best of sirius package, however if I had a lifetime membership this would be the way to go. I dont like the FM cable having to run up to the radio, does not look clean. Plus it appears you can use your steering wheel controls, that is a nice feature. I guess if I already had the sirius radio it might be hard to justify the $130.

I wish after the merger they just want to siriusXM and it was the same in every car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jflowers99,

Yes, it would be easier to use either the SirGM2l as you noted or the original XM unit, as opposed to wiring a seperate Sirius head unit - no question.

However, with either of those choices we would have to pay the additional monthly fee for the second Sirius radio or the XM unit. In our case, as Ties reiterated to some degree, we already have a lifetime membership (with no monthly fees - for that one, specific head unit ID), so it is the unit that needs to be portable. This also makes another purchase of a less-portable head unit or convertor hard to justify.

The fundamental (cheap) objective for using a portable head unit - is to use only one Sirius radio (again in our case at no monthly cost). We do not need or want to have one Sirius or XM in the home and another in the car, because we only listen in either place, but never in both places at the same time.

Secondarily, with Direct TV, we also get XM in the house. So yes we could conceivably leave the Sirius in the car, (and attempt get the lifetime membership transferred to the SirGM2l convertor). However, we like the accessibility (with a remote as well) combined with sound proximity and quality better from the boombox. The 52" TV's screen-saver is also distracting and probably not energy-efficient compared to the boombox. There are also times the TV remains on without sound (like for a game show, where the babble is really not required).

For yet another satellite music method, we can simply login to the Sirius website with our membership and play the music via our home network with other applications. Again, the desktop computers are not as accessible and sound is not as close or the quality of the boombox. The wireless laptops are OK, but again the sound is sub-par and the bandwidth is reduced.

I may not have been clear that the pictured cable is not needed for the FM transmitter (to xmit the music to the car's FM radio at a programmed frequency. The FM is not the quality of direct connection, but again no cable needed.

The cable is only used to output the Sirius audio directly into the aux of the radio. This cable is only used if there is a strong-compeating FM station at the very same frequency.

I also have and can install a special cable/auto-switch that outputs the Sirius FM modulated signal directly into the radio's antenna input and shunts (blocks) the car's antenna input.

The steering wheel volume remains functional with the radio. I never cared for using the wheel controls to take the time to move up and down the pre-selected channels as opposed to going directly to the specific channel. Also, many times she changes the channels directly anyway.

The artist/song always displays on the Sirius head unit.

Sorry about being so wordy, but works for us anyway...

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
another thing about the nice little sirius radios is that- if youre listening to something you like-- and need to make a pit stop---
you simply hit the PAUSE button- and it pauses- and continues to records up to 45 min of show.
When you get back in- simply press play- and you dont miss anything of what you were listening to.

·
Registered
551 Posts
rbarrios said:
another thing about the nice little sirius radios is that- if youre listening to something you like-- and need to make a pit stop---
you simply hit the PAUSE button- and it pauses- and continues to records up to 45 min of show.
When you get back in- simply press play- and you dont miss anything of what you were listening to.
That is a very cool feature! I listen to a lot of talk radio and would like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts