Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the OEM DVD player in the headrests and now the driver side screen turns itself on and glitches. We can't turn it off by holding the power button. The only thing that turns it off is turning the car completely off and starting the car again. It might work or it might not, it is a sporadic issue. I am hesitate to take it to any Chevrolet dealer around me because when I do with other problems it takes them 3 days to even look at it then another week or so to "get a part" and another couple day to repair. I don't have time to leave my car there for 1.5 to 2 weeks. When I ask for a loaner they act as if I am asking for their right arm and leg. I have been to 4 dealers around my area and still haven't found one that is competent. Anyway any ideas to why the screen is acting this way? An electric short?

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have the OEM DVD player in the headrests and now the driver side screen turns itself on and glitches. We can't turn it off by holding the power button. The only thing that turns it off is turning the car completely off and starting the car again. It might work or it might not, it is a sporadic issue. I am hesitate to take it to any Chevrolet dealer around me because when I do with other problems it takes them 3 days to even look at it then another week or so to "get a part" and another couple day to repair. I don't have time to leave my car there for 1.5 to 2 weeks. When I ask for a loaner they act as if I am asking for their right arm and leg. I have been to 4 dealers around my area and still haven't found one that is competent. Anyway any ideas to why the screen is acting this way? An electric short?
I had a similar issue with mine no big repair they will order new dvd headrest and replace both wiring is already done so just pull out headrest and unplug. took maybe an hour or less to to the job. they will have to diagnose and order new ones but they will not keep the car for this took maybe 2 weeks to get new headrests they told me they have to replace as a pair. so look on the bright side you will have brand new DVD players.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we took our car to the dealer on Saturday and they didn't know how to diagnose it or even if the DVDs were OEM accessories. They had it from 7am - 3pm only to tell me to come back and get it. They told me to bring it back in 2 weeks during the week because they needed to call GM directly. They haven't seen one of these systems before. Are you kidding me? We live in a large city and these technicians are certified by GM, but I am figuring out the 3 Chevy dealers I have been to lately are only "certified" to do oil changes and tire rotations. Very frustrated with the level of service with GM dealers so far and we have been a GM family for over 50 years. Hopefully they can diagnose it and get it fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had factory headrest dvd players put in our 2019 Traverse. Our issue is the players shut off when a door opens or when vehicle goes in shutdown mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had factory headrest dvd players put in our 2019 Traverse. Our issue is the players shut off when a door opens or when vehicle goes in shutdown mode.
That is interesting you say this because I’ve added aftermarket DVD player/screens that clip to headrests. They only tie into the car is via the 12v power plug up front and ours does the same thing when we open a door, even with the car running. I thought it was a glitch in the units. I’m starting to think there is some surge (or a power draw that causes the dvd to power off when a door opens, because they can’t draw enough current to stay on).

I know this doesn’t solve the issue, but I don’t think it’s the DVD players, but the current draw on the circuit.

One thing I have done and have not tested yet is changing out the bulbs under the front doors (puddle lights) to LEDs. I need to see if the DVD players cut out now, when opening a door.
(2018 Traverse Premier)

·
Registered
2 Posts
before we had factory dvd installed we had a different dvd setup installed and it did the same thing. that is why we switched to factory setup thinking it wouldn't do it. when we took it back to dealer to look at they said GM was aware of the issue (before we even purchased them. it would have been nice to have been informed of this) and would be looking to fix it sometime. it was not of major concern to them. this was over a year ago and we have not heard anything back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts