Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how you can bypass the DVD shutting off from the radio display when you put it in drive? Wife wants to watch the same DVD that the kids are watching.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks like something I could use. Does anyone have this installed in their Traverse? I have the dual DVD headrests, but didn't see that particular setup addressed specifically in the installation instructions on the site.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have it installed in mine. The wife likes it a lot. I have the DVD in the roof so I don;t know if it works on the headrest DVD. As long as you have the navigation unit in the dash and it is playing the DVD then I would think it would work. The lockpick just plugs in the back of it. I was easy to install. The hardest part was finding where to plug in so it could run the rear view camera. They say it is under the passenger seat but that is not true. You have to run a cable to the back liftgate and find the cable coming out of it there. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
26 Posts
wtyer said:
I have it installed in mine. The wife likes it a lot. I have the DVD in the roof so I don;t know if it works on the headrest DVD. As long as you have the navigation unit in the dash and it is playing the DVD then I would think it would work. The lockpick just plugs in the back of it. I was easy to install. The hardest part was finding where to plug in so it could run the rear view camera. They say it is under the passenger seat but that is not true. You have to run a cable to the back liftgate and find the cable coming out of it there. Hope this helps some.
Thanks for the info wtyer. Does your nav unit have two disc slots in the front of the unit and one behind the screen? My nav unit only has one disc slot in the front and one behind the screen. I tried putting a DVD in the CD slot on the front, but I wasn't given a DVD play option. I found the control box for the dual DVD screens located under the center console towards the front on the passenger side, but I haven't gone farther than that. The DVD headrests are two seperate players with DVD slots on top of the headrests. I'd be a happy camper if I could put a DVD in either headrest and watch it on the nav screen too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hate to say it but I don't think you will be able to watch a DVD on your Nav screen. I have the same slots you do. One up top to put in CD/DVD's in and the one behind the screen for the map DVD. I think the headrest players are a dealer installed option so your Nav doesn't have anything to do with them. I also don't know if all Nav systems will play DVD's or if that option is disabled if you don't get the rear entertainment package from the factory.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, the headrest DVDs are a dealer installed option that I had added in with the purchase price. I'm wondering if our Nav hardware is the same, just different software. Right now, the DVDs and Nav aren't connected in anyway. I'll do a little more research, but my general belief is that any configuration is possible...just gotta have the right tools.

·
Registered
551 Posts
MemphisMan said:
Yes, the headrest DVDs are a dealer installed option that I had added in with the purchase price. I'm wondering if our Nav hardware is the same, just different software. Right now, the DVDs and Nav aren't connected in anyway. I'll do a little more research, but my general belief is that any configuration is possible...just gotta have the right tools.
Did you find anything on this? I too have the dual dvd headrest, and the nav with only one slot. The wife would love to be able to watch a dvd up front, or best of both worlds would be if all three screens could talk to each other and play the same thing thru the speakers.

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
All,

I would guess that any number of people have tried to get their Nav screens to play DVDs, and of course "only for the passenger".

However, for very good and obvious reasons, no car builder in their right mind would allow that option, (or even a relatively simple, behind the dash cable swap, etc). Some may have had DVD's play if in park, but that is even too easy to defeat.

Quite a few people have indeed figured out how to replace the OEM equipment with whatever to do whatever.

If (when really...) those same people get in an accident, a sharp attorney could quickly impound the vehicle for evidence - and have a very strong case for distracted driving, etc.

If it is proven that the vehicle was re-wired by the current owner, then distracted driving (like with cellphones) can quickly become much more serious with "Prior intent to commit [insert felony here]..."

Be carefull with what you wish for

All IMHO,

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
tdk said:
All,

I would guess that any number of people have tried to get their Nav screens to play DVDs, and of course "only for the passenger".

However, for very good and obvious reasons, no car builder in their right mind would allow that option, (or even a relatively simple, behind the dash cable swap, etc). Some may have had DVD's play if in park, but that is even too easy to defeat.

Quite a few people have indeed figured out how to replace the OEM equipment with whatever to do whatever.

If (when really...) those same people get in an accident, a sharp attorney could quickly impound the vehicle for evidence - and have a very strong case for distracted driving, etc.

If it is proven that the vehicle was re-wired by the current owner, then distracted driving (like with cellphones) can quickly become much more serious with "Prior intent to commit [insert felony here]..."

All IMHO,

TDK,

I totally agree with your comments.

·
Registered
551 Posts
tdk said:
All,

All IMHO,
True, but no more of a distraction then doing anything else in the car... eating, drinking, yelling at the kids, reading the paper, talking on the phone, texting, bottom line many things can distract you. Some of you should have bought mini vans. Why people feel the need to be the father figure, or the common sense god is beyond me.

Thanks for your input... I never realized the WIFE watching a dvd in the front could be a distraction. How come listening to the radio is not a distraciton? How can I look at my nav screen to see an upcoming road, or change a station? These too could kill me. So could a rainy day, or a patch of ice, or a fallen tree.... you get my point.

And I love how you say "if (when really) these same people get in an acident" basically implying that they WILL get in acident is a moronic thing to say. Same people that told me they will look for my obituary because I dont wear my sealtbelt, implying the gods will curse me and I will get in acident soley because I dont wear my seatbelt. :banghead:

·
Registered
112 Posts
No one said the gods will curse you and you will get into an accident because you dont wear a seatbelt. They said your an idiot for not wearing one.

Figures your the one who also thinks playing a movie while driving is OK.

You could obviously use a "common sense god". Your severely laking in that category!

Thank god no one takes anything you say seriously!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Gibby said:
I know right. ::)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
Did you find anything on this? I too have the dual dvd headrest, and the nav with only one slot. The wife would love to be able to watch a dvd up front, or best of both worlds would be if all three screens could talk to each other and play the same thing thru the speakers.

Thanks
I haven't been able to do the research due to greater priorities. I'll post anything I find out and appreciate you doing the same. I agree that the best of both worlds would be nice. I also agree that having this ability for the front isn't any more dangerous than speeding, tailgating, or not using your turn signal. However, I do understand why GM would not have this enabled. I'd also speculate that GM would not have spent too much time, money, and effort to ensure this couldn't be bypassed. At the end of the day, we're dealing with software, hardware, and connections and that means it's possible. Now it's just up to us to figure out if it's worth our time, money, and effort to bypass it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Whilst I don't personally agree with your attempts to bypass the DVD cut-out, you may want to head over to the Acadia Forum and check out http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=5235.0

Somewhere in that thread, someone identifies a way of using the dome over-ride switch to operate a relay which interrupts the vss signal to the radio, thereby causing it to think the vehicle is stationary. That's a lot simpler and cheaper than a lockpic.

·
Registered
551 Posts
MartinC said:
Whilst I don't personally agree with your attempts to bypass the DVD cut-out, you may want to head over to the Acadia Forum and check out http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=5235.0

Somewhere in that thread, someone identifies a way of using the dome over-ride switch to operate a relay which interrupts the vss signal to the radio, thereby causing it to think the vehicle is stationary. That's a lot simpler and cheaper than a lockpic.
I read the entire post, very informative... thank you! You are the man finding informative threads on other boards :blob: Seems this was mainly regarding disabling the lock out on the nav to be able to enter addresses while moving (which to make things clear to TDK and bobchevy this is a distraction) and not so much about playing a DVD while driving.

Two ways to go about this, both of which have been nicely drawn out in pictures for anyone interested. You can simply tap into the dome light and override that way, or others have installed a separate switch to override when they want to and switch back when not needed. Both work, however for me I will just buy the lock pick as it will cover both the DVD and the bypass for entering addresses. I don’t really want to drill or add switches to my car!

That seems to be a very informative forum, all nice people. The AMAZING thing is..... five pages and no one insults anyone, no one calls anyone an idiot, or adds their opinion about something for no reason. According to some people here I am the moron and the one with issues, however all I am doing is moding my car, something I have done on all my cars. Done nothing but try to add input and solutions and have attacked NO ONE unless I was attacked first. Why can’t we all get along.... If someone does something to their car that I do not agree with, why say anything, that is their choice!

I have to confirm my nav will play a DVD, I have the nav withouth the rear dvd as I have dual headrests. Once I confirm that I will order the lockpick and update everyone on how it works in case anyone is interested. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Gibby said:
No one said the gods will curse you and you will get into an accident because you dont wear a seatbelt. They said your an idiot for not wearing one.

Figures your the one who also thinks playing a movie while driving is OK.

You could obviously use a "common sense god". Your severely laking in that category!

Let me see if I understand Mr. Crash ( Tiestosteele) correctly.
He will not wear his seat belt ...... Mrs Crash wants a DVD to play in the front seat. OK, Now we're zippin' down the freeway, no belt and watching the movies. :help:

Then ....... Mr Crash ( with conviction ) calls others ( auto salesmen and forum members ) morons.

Ok, yea, now I understand, you're right again Tiestosteele ....... LOL ! :happy:

·
Registered
551 Posts
That didn't make any sense nor was it funny. And please learn how to use the quote function.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
That didn't make any sense nor was it funny. And please learn how to use the quote function.
Tiestostele .... No, my comments were not funny, nor were they meant to be funny. I've had one irresponsible individual kill a member of my family, my posts were a futile attempt on my part to show you the other side of the equation .... the "receiving side" of the irresponsible actions of a "moronic" driver behind the wheel and what those irresponsible actions do to those left behind to grieve.

I hope you reconsider your actions/procedures behind the wheel.

Enough said.

Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tiestosteele said:
I never realized the WIFE watching a dvd in the front could be a distraction.
lol.. A wife watching a DVD on a long road trip could never be a distraction to a driver.. In some situations, it may actually be a benefit to the driver letting him focus more clearly on the road.

C'mon man...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts