Traverse Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start this thread as a place for others to comment on this concern (or non-concern) for their Gen 2s.
I own a 2019, and this being our first vehicle with direct injection; I have been reading up on this subject. Some take-aways:

So with the fuel being introduced downstream of the intake valves:
  • The valves run hotter than non DI engines,
  • There is no longer any vaporized gasoline flowing over the back side of the valves and valve seats to help keep these areas clean
  • The potential issue (over time) = carbon buildup in these critical areas
  • And in an extreme situations the carbon deposits will break away and become a source of pre-ignition and/or cylinder scoring
There are many cases of this being a significant problem with some of the earlier (now higher mileage) DI equipped engines. Seems the problem may be even worse with turbocharged engines, when due to cylinder/piston ring wear, the crankcase might become slightly pressurized, just enough to push excessive crankcase (oil) vapors into the intake manifold thru the PVC system, which in turn becomes an even greater source of contamination for the intake valves?

Seems many are pursuing catch cans (as a preventative measure) spliced into their PVC line to capture these crankcase vapors before they reach the intake.
Anyone have concerns, experiences, or thoughts on the matter for our GEN2s ?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts