Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a LTZ that has the double sunroof (skyscape I think is what they call it). I looked at it at night, so my question is: Are the sliding covers for the glass mesh or are they solid? I should have paid a little more attention to that but I was busy looking at all of the other bells and whistles! ;D

TIA!

·
Registered
31 Posts
There aren't any big holes in the sunroof shades. I mean, they're not full of obvious holes like a football jersey. But I still can easily see up through them on my 2LT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I even went to our local dealership last night to try to see for myself. Lo and behold none of them had a sunroof!

Does the mesh block out the sun pretty well if it is real sunny? I am really thinking I may not want the sunroof, esp come summer in Texas!

·
Registered
201 Posts
So far it seems to block the sun well, but I am in southern Michigan and the sun right now is not that intense. One thing to remember is on 2LT and higher the remote start works with the climate control to heat or cool the vehicle to if it has been sitting.
As a side note it has been very nice not having to remember to turn the defrost on when we leave the car

·
Registered
72 Posts

From the top, that's my Sage Greean 2000 Jeep cherokee peeking in. [/color]

Middle seat/rear fixed sunroom with power shade closed[/color]

Rear sunshade partially open. This is an overcast day.[/color]

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
guess you cant rest stuff on your roof rack... (like a cargo bag)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I didn't like the idea of black mesh screens when I bought it preferring the traditional solid panel...seems flimsy and not capable of blocking enough sunlight or heat.

A few 90+ days with the sun directly overhead proved it is effective at blocking heat and light giving a nice subdued light within the cabin.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just returned from a trip across Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico in bright sun and 100 degree temp. The black mesh sunscreen worked very well at blocking sun and heat. I was concerned when I first bought the car that they would not work that well but have been pleasantly surprised. I love my duel sunroof and would not have a car without them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Billkt said:
The black mesh sunscreen worked very well at blocking sun and heat. I was concerned when I first bought the car that they would not work that well but have been pleasantly surprised. I love my duel sunroof and would not have a car without them.
100% agree :thumb: I'm also concerned when I bought my Traverse, but now I can confidently say that the black mesh sunscreen works well

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the dual sun roof panels also.

I`ve wondered how much protection will be offered in the event of a serious accident with that simple screen. Hoping to God that an accident never happens of course.

The screens seem to filter out the sun adequately.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I`ve wondered how much protection will be offered in the event of a serious accident with that simple screen. Hoping to God that an accident never happens of course.
What are you expecting them to protect you against? Something different than the headliner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have the dual sun roof and the mesh shade works good (i'm from a very sunny country).
Let's say it blocks 85-90% of the sun.
What I don't like is that the front sunroof has no wind deflector and it is quite noisy and inefficient to open the window when you drive 40 mph and faster.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Green Traverse,

I`ve owned other GM vehicles with a sun roof.

They had a more substantial retractable shade, which, in the event of an accident, would possibly help restrain the occupants from being ejected

when closed.

Also, those shades may have helped to keep the passengers in and protected in the event of a roll-over.

At the very least, broken glass may have been prevented from showering the occupants with glass, causing injury to the eye or worse.

Anyhow, I say just enjoy your sunroof, open or closed.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Harel said:
I also have the dual sun roof and the mesh shade works good (i'm from a very sunny country).
Let's say it blocks 85-90% of the sun.
What I don't like is that the front sunroof has no wind deflector and it is quite noisy and inefficient to open the window when you drive 40 mph and faster.
That narrow metal rail with the holes that pops up when the sunroof is retracted is the wind deflector; albeit not a very good one. You can see the difference by pulling it down when going 60 with the roof open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 5% (limo) tint put on both my sunroofs. It seems to help with the heat and cuts down on it being so bright during the day.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
There is physically no space in the roof to store a solid cover retracted for both sunroofs. GM was too cheap to go with a solid accordion type (window blind" arrangement This rollup "window shade" arrangement seems to work as far as cutting out the sunlight and heat........BUT.....let's see how the material and rollup mechanism holds up after tears of light and temperature fluctuations.......hope they don't shred or fail to rollup, be a pain to replace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts