Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their single exhaust system changed to a dual system?
I have a 1LT with the single pipe, and am thinking real hard about putting the dual system in. I'd like to know if anybody has had their dealer make the switch, or taken it someplace else to get it done. AND of course, what would be the price tag on such a mod.
I realize I may have to buy a new rear bumper with the cutouts, or maybe just have the "new" exhaust tips turned down (like in the old days) and keep my existing bumper.
I may be dreaming, but I think the extra 7 HP would have to make a difference in mileage? I'm not too interested in any sound improvements, but any increase in power and/or efficiency might be worth the cost.
Any thoughts on my theory?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Well for 7 HP not really worth it. You could probably get more HP with a high flow cat and changing out the two stock mufflers.

Yes you have two... Even though we have single exhaust it has two mufflers on near the front and one at the back.

Some people have switched over theirs to duals with just the factory exhaust change over.

The only other way is to have a custom system built as there is hardly no aftermarket exhaust systems even made for the Traverse yet.

I would start with a K&N air filter first.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think I remember a member cutting out another "hole" on the left side and had a custom exhaust put on? If you wanted it you could try cutting another cut out, or buy a dual bumper used for not too much. However I dont know if it is worth it if you only want improved gas mileage and HP. I personally think it makes the Traverse look much better with dual exhaust.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I must agree with all the comments thus far... It's probably not worth all the trouble and expense for 7 Horsepower. If it was a V8 it would be worth it just to get better sound, but I don't think a six has quite the same potential.
Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
71 Posts
jamesmyboy,

Got to agree with others here on not spending the money to split the exhaust at the tail and possibly spending the money for a new bumper just to pick up 7 hp.

Bang for the buck for this V6 would be to have an exhaust shop eliminate the spagetti reverse bends at the front of the Lambda and eliminate the resonator/s at the tail and just have turn down tips showing (like the old MOPARS did). That approach should improve mileage and performance. Proof would only be confirmed by first dynoing a b/4 then an after on this.

I'm driving an '09 Saturn. I have the 288 hp version with duals, turn down tips. I was hunting for some nice stainless turndowns to add to these but on a suggestion of an exhaust shop, I just sanded the existing tips with 150 grit then gragually worked up to 600 grit. They polished up OK (they're aluminized piping). Sorry the vehicle's dirty when I took the pic of tips.

Unless you do the above...save your money. Here's a pic of my tips and some pics of the 180 bends the exhaust takes before it's routed to the mufflers .

Jim
In God We Trust!

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed...
I'll save that money for something else ;) - Probably for gas if the predictions of 3.50 per gallon are right!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
jamesmyboy said:
If it was a V8 it would be worth it just to get better sound, but I don't think a six has quite the same potential.
Here is where most people's thoughts can be wrong. If you have the correct exhaust shop do your work, then you can still get very good sound out of a V6, even one as small as ours. I will have to agree though, the money may not be worth it to the average person, just looking to add a couple extra ponies. I will aslo agree that getting rid of that nasty U -bend ( like the Grand Prix's had but worse ) should do wonders for flow, and performance, for not so much money. Just ask around about getting that part taken care of.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
jamesmyboy said:
Agreed...
I'll save that money for something else ;) - Probably for gas if the predictions of 3.50 per gallon are right!
On that note- gas just hit $3.26 for regular here in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I thought gas prices were supposed to go down in the winter, especially after Thanksgiving :angryfire:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts