Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize the tahoe and the traverse are not in the same class really...but omg the tahoe kicks the traverse's butt in all but 1 category. The access to the 3rd row in the tahoe is evil compared to the traverse, so the tahoe loses there...but that's where it ends.

The dash and DIC were essentially identical in functionality in the tahoe...it had everything the traverse had. But the big win was the V8. It had the active fuel management V8 that drops to 4. I drove about 35 miles in rochester on one of the interstates, and I got 34.6 mpg...On the streets I got 18 mpg, which still beats the traverse by far. I get 14 mpg around town here with the traverse.

One nice thing on the DIC on the tahoe was that on the instantaneous fuel mileage screen, it displayed whether it was in V8 or V4 mode. that is really nice feature. It was interesting to watch it switch between 8 and 4. It did it alot more often than one would think, even on the side streets. My Grand Prix GXP has the AFM V8, but I can never tell when it's in 4 for sure except for the the lag when i stomp on the gas.

I just couldn't get over the mileage the tahoe got on the highway with that monster engine...granted Rochester is pretty flat.

- Joe

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
no way a tahoe is going to get 34 MPG.
Corvettes with V8 and much lighter-- is rated at 26 MPG (EPA).
Can some one reach 30 something in a corvette... sure being very careful.... and maybe using a stick.
But a Tahoe.... I dont know... very hard to believe.
Cruising downhill? maybe.... but im going to say that DIC was way off....

·
Registered
994 Posts
mihalich said:
I realize the tahoe and the traverse are not in the same class really.
And for sure they arent in the same price category as well?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's why I was so blown away. It occurred multiple times on the highway, I doubt the DIC was off. My GP GXP gets 32mpg when it drops to 4 on the freeway out here in california. yeah, the tahoe's start in the high 40's or 50's at least right, so it's way out of my league.

- Joe

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
ive read of some cars DIC MPG being off significantly after owners cmpared it to their hand calculation of MPG's.
Its possible- this may be the case...
other owners report the DIC is pretty accurare as compared to their own calcs...

I think the Traverse fills in a hole...
I mean I have a Trailblazer--- works fine for me.. except I sometimes really need more people capacity. other times I need the room in the back.
The Travy fits this perfectly.
I also wanted a tow hitch for cargo racks and bike racks-- and yup fills it too...
The tahoe--- well- would be ok-- but its just too big- exterior wise for my needs. And I will not be towing large items that would require a Tahoe.
The Traverse fits the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We traded in our old and trusty '97 Tahoe for the Traverse. It served us well over the 12 years and we did look at the new Tahoe first.

The new one has become bloated in exterior size but, because of the seating arrangements, seems smaller inside. We do not want or need the third row but found it almost impossible to find one without those seats. And we refuse to pay for some equipment we would have to remove and find storage space for. The other fault is the second row seating did not fold flat to give a clear flat floor (unlike the Traverse and our old Tahoe). In fact, the floor area in the Traverse is about the same, if not greater, than our old Tahoe.

Our test drive in the new Tahoe indicated it still felt like a truck which, OK, it is. The Traverse feels more like a car which we prefer. The AFM indicator on the test drive hardly ever switched to 4cyl mode. That may have been due to the engine not getting fully warm but the sales guy did admit that we should not expect much better - unlike the indicator on our Impala SS which regularly shows 4cyl mode cruising at 70mph.

So, in conclusion, I think the behemoth Tahoe class of vehicle has had its day.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was torn between the two.

Tahoe
+ V8
+ body on frame
+ towing
+ ride is higher and more able on rough roads (problem in my area)
- price (BIG PROBLEM!!!!)
- lower MPG, at least with the way I drive.
- is smaller inside than the Traverse

Traverse
+ LOWER PRICE!
+ Newer design
+ better MPG, which I've proven to myself at least
+ larger interior
+ easy to navigate interior
+ very nice looking
+ wife can drive easier (she's a small car type, so the Traverse was a big difference for her)
- V6
- Totally different ride
- 1/2 towing ability of Tahoe

Today, I'd still prefer a Tahoe. What killed it for me was the price difference in similar dressed models. The Traverse was almost 8 grand less for my setup of options and features. There was no way I could swallow the price difference. I bought the Traverse. I came from driving Chevy full size pickups for a long time, so the change in the ride to a unibody from body-on-frame was and still is kinda hard for me to accept. That said, the Traverse is still a fantastic ride, especially for long trips.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...all reasons why I too bought the traverse.

On the way home from the airport, doing 65/70 in the traverse, I stepped on the gas to get out to the left lane to pass somebody. The traverse kicked down, RPM shot up, and I went nowhere and almost got slammed from someone behind me. This engine has some serious dead/weak spots. Those are the times I miss the trailblazer straight 6, and yes, the Tahoe V8. That Tahoe moved when i hit the gas no matter how fast I was going.

On the other hand, who needs the Active Fuel Management. I'm holding out for the 230 mpg Volt...lol. I can't even imagine that kind of mileage.

-Joe

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm still not sure the "dead spots" are more due to the 6 speed transmission. There are times that it just does not want to downshift, or downshifts at the wrong time loosing torque rather than gaining torque. I'd call the rash of 6 speed tranny's on the market today pure sales candy and not really useful. Some argue it's for gas savings, but when GM puts a 6 speed manual in sporty cars, but forces the driver to skip gears in order to "save gas" you gotta wonder.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Tahoe is a NICE car but those third row seats are killer. In my opinion if people were honest with themselves about what they need in a car the Traverse would completely invalidate the Tahoe.

288hp v6 vs 320hp v8 - but the Tahoe is heavier.
Traverse larger inside
Traverse can tow~5000 lbs
Traverse has more unique features like a double pane sunroof.
Traverse is significantly less expensive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I went from an 05 Avalanche, to an 07 Yukon, to an 09 Traverse.

I like the Traverse best of all! :blob:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts