Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Traverse LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been having trouble with EVAP error codes (P0442, P0455, P0496). I replaced the gas cap, but the error came back a few weeks later. So I replaced the vapor canister purge valve (under the hood). A few months later the error codes came back so I replaced the purge valve again.

A few months later when the same codes came back, I decided to replace everything EVAP related, including: gas cap, vapor canister purge valve, vapor canister (carbon filter), and the vapor canister vent valve with solenoid. The last two required me to drop the gas tank.

Dropping the gas tank is not as bad as it sounds. I continued driving until the low gas warning came on, so it would only have one or two gallons in the tank. I used a floor jack with a little plywood to support the tank while I unbolted the straps and disconnected plugs and hoses.

The repair went smoothly and I added 5 gallons of gas to the tank after everything was back together. Unfortunately, I can’t get it to start!!! The engine turns over but will not fire, and now I am getting fuel pressure error codes (P018C, P023F, P069E).

Initially, I thought the fuel pump just needed some time to fill the lines and get some pressure. With enough cranking, I eventually get the engine to fire for a few seconds, but it dies almost immediately. I’ve also tried turning the key to the on position a few times before starting in the hopes that the fuel pump will pressure the line but I can’t tell if it’s working. Unfortunately, the beeping from the dash is too loud to hear the fuel pump!

I’ve double checked the hose and electrical connections to the gas tank and purge valve. I also checked the fuses and reset the error codes, but I’m stuck. I thought about adding another 5 gallons to the tank but if I need to drop the tank again for any reason, that would just be more gas to siphon out to reduce weight and mess.

I don’t think it’s likely that I have developed a fuel system problem while replacing the EVAP parts, but perhaps I need to reset something to get the fuel pump to work again. Is there a safety lockout switch intended to stop the fuel pump in an accident?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

EVAP error codes
P0442 EVAP small leak detected
P0455 - System Gross Leak Evaporative Emission
P0496 EVAP Flow During Non-Purge Condition

Fuel system error codes (after replacing the gas tank)
P018C fuel pressure B circuit low
P023F fuel pump secondary circuit open
P069E fuel pump control module requested mil illumination

I am also getting error code P0621 (generator lamp/L terminal circuit), but I don’t think that is related. I think it’s just an early warning to replace the alternator.

·
Registered
2013 Traverse LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What should a fuel pump sound like? I can hear a high pitched whine for a few seconds after turning the key on, but it’s hard to tell where it’s coming from.

·
Registered
2013 Traverse LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added another 5 gal to the tank to be certain the fuel pump was getting gas. I also added some fuel injector cleaner to the tank just in case. The fuel gauge shows half a tank so the harness is connected. It will turn over but it still won’t fire!!!

I also tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes in the hopes that it might reset something, but still no luck!

My OBDII reader was showing a few psi earlier today but 0 psi now. I did not test this live sensor read function before starting this repair so I’m not sure if the reader is working properly. Does anyone else use the BlueDriver?

I would love a few suggestions of things I could try before replacing the fuel pump. Does anyone know if there is a reset switch for the fuel pump!

FYI: I have a 2013 Traverse LT with 121k miles.

·
Registered
2013 Traverse LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve confirmed that the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box, in the interior fuse box under the glove box, and the 2 in the battery box are all good.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
theres a connector under the drivers seat area-- under car... someone asked about it the other day.
but it causes the symptoms youre experiencing.
Check it. Makes sure its seated all the way.

heres the thread. with a picture of plug

·
Registered
2013 Traverse LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion rbarrios! The x305 looks good to me. It is fully inserted and all of the pins look good. I even added a little dielectric grease on each pin for a better connection. I also move the wire harness retaining clip forward to avoid future stress on the cable.

I wanted to adjust the female pins to be tighter on the male pins, but that would require me to remove the pins. I don’t think I can extract the pins without a special tool or without destroying the connector.

I think this connector is in good shape, but I might consider replacing it if I could buy a new one. Does anyone know a part number more specific than x305? Does the dealership carry this connector?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Electrical wiring Bumper

Eyewear Gadget Electrical wiring Finger Motor vehicle

Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Machine

·
Registered
2013 Traverse LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish there was a better way to search for parts. Websites and retailers start with make, model, trim, year, etc. then funnel down to known part numbers that fit a specific vehicle. In reality, most parts are used across multiple vehicles. I suspect that the list of compatible parts would be even bigger if there was a way to match by spec rather than part number. I think there is an publication that cross references parts across make, model, trim, and year that is a bible for junk yards and custom hot rod builders, but I don't know the name. If you remember, please let me know!!!

So I've found a x305 connector and mating connectors that look like the right fit, but they are not listed for my 2013 Traverse. I haven't found one for the 2013, so perhaps the database is just incomplete.
RockAuto ACDELCO PT1176 $35.79 Chevy Traverse 2009-2012
RockAuto ACDELCO PT1123 $43.79 Chevy Impala 2006-2012
RockAuto ACDELCO PT1070 $32.79 Chevy Venture 2003-2005

I also found these on Amazon, but there is no vehicle info on Amazon.
Amazon ACDelco GM Original Equipment PT1176 8-Way Female Natural Colored Multi-Purpose Pigtail, $40.39
Amazon ACDelco GM Original Equipment PT1123 12-Way Male Gray Multi-Purpose Pigtail, $46.91
Amazon ACDelco GM Original Equipment PT1070 8-Way Male Black Multi-Purpose Pigtail, $37.78

After taking a close look at my x305 connector, I am tempted to replace the low pressure fuel pump before this connector. Is it possible that the low pressure fuel pump could have died some time ago but the high pressure fuel pump continued to work because the fuel lines were already primed with fuel?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2013 Traverse LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suspect the Traverse can continue to run after the low pressure fuel pump dies because GMFIII didn't complain about his Traverse stalling when the x305 connector was disconnected (2014 Chevy Traverse Help). He noticed that the fuel gauge wasn't working, but didn't mention being stranded on the side of the road.

Not only does my x305 connector look like it's in good condition, but my fuel gauge is working properly.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
ahh, sucks it wasnt as easy as this plug.
Is it possible that when you dropped the tank- a connector may have been pulled on- damaging the wire inside or pulling it out of one of its pins crimps?

·
Registered
2013 Traverse LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

I purchased a fuel pump and began dropping the fuel tank this afternoon. When I disconnected the fuel lines, one sprayed me with gas and the other was dry. Again, it didn’t make sense that I needed to replace the fuel pump, but I continued to disconnect the hoses and cables from the tank.

I’m ashamed to admit that when I got to the back of the tank, I noticed that I forgot to reconnect the cable to the FSCM after the first time I dropped the tank!!!!!

Lessons learned:
1) Double, triple, and quadruple check that everything is reconnected!!!
2) Wear goggles when disconnecting fuel lines. Even with eye glasses, I was very lucky that it didn’t get in my eyes!!!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Nut

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
glad it was an 'easy' fix. too bad it make you scratch and curse for several days

Reactions: c&wsinbad
1 - 11 of 11 Posts