Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 3rd switch I will be putting on my 2012 drivers door. The last time at the dealership they didn't put the panel back on right and wouldn't correct it and cost me over $100. Don't want to spend that kind of $$s so just purchased one but now hear something about programming. Comments regarding the programming would be appreciated before we take it apart. Thank you all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First I have heard anything about programming. I thought they were all plug and play. I just bought one for $15 from Amazon. I think it was from switchdoctor. It’s in the mail but it has good reviews and the price was decent.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's where I purchased my switch also. Did speak with a tech and he said he saw nothing about programming. Guess we'll see when we replace.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Lots of folks here have replaced the window switch on Gen 1's. I don't recall any ever reporting needing programming.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You should check you tube for videos on how to remove and clean your drivers side switches. Mine have, at times, stopped working, but a quick removal and cleaning of the contacts put them back into service without buying new ones.
The switch contacts tend to get a little gummy and a little rubbing alcohol and a q-tip cleans up the contacts good as new.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You should check you tube for videos on how to remove and clean your drivers side switches. Mine have, at times, stopped working, but a quick removal and cleaning of the contacts put them back into service without buying new ones.
The switch contacts tend to get a little gummy and a little rubbing alcohol and a q-tip cleans up the contacts good as new.
Alcohol is good, but I use;

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-5103-Quick-Dry-Electronic-Cleaner-11-Wt-Oz/16817418

Let dry before reassembly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Regarding electric circuits; An elec.circuit is nothing more than a circle of wire with a switch/es, ground, battery, motor,etc.

Only 3 things can go "wrong". An open, short to ground, or high resistance. Remove the motor, connect a meter to the power side of the circuit and the other lead to the negative side, If there is source voltage this eliminates 2 of the potential problems, an open and a short to ground. Its that simple.

In working with 12 volt systems, such as on vehicles, most problems are ground problems. Thats where to check first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts