Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I notice about my 09 transmission is not any rough shifting but rather how the engine...I think the term is lugs when driving at lower speeds; that is the engine seems like it is at too low an rpm but accelerating more isnt an option as the speed would be too much. Does anyone else experience this? So around town I much prefer driving our simple 4 cylinder 5 speed and use the Lambda on the HWY.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
This is the draw back from having 6 speed. You simply have more gears so the low gears are lower then the other car.

The biggest advantage of the 6 speed is gas millage. Plus once you get through all of them the Traverse really gets moving.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My only suggestion would be to put the shifter in L and set it to 4 and leave it there every time you drive in town. Maybe put it into 5 if you're doing 50 on rare occasions. There are, of course, trade-offs while doing this, fuel mileage being the biggest. This is the only method I can think of to help unless GM decides to let the "lower" Lambdas have that 2.8 liter turbo available in the Caddy SRX. Forced-induction is the great solver of many problems. Unfortunately, it can (and will) create a few, too.

I didn't think I would like the 3.6/6-speed combo either. I've had to change the way I drive for this car, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jajogega said:
I'm not sure if the same applies to you but I just had a transmission calibration update done and it seems more responsive around town. It looks like the bulletin isn't out yet but the dealers have access to this update.

Here's my post on the Acadia forum.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=6571.msg91590#msg91590
Thanks for the link but for whatever reason it seems to only apply to 2010 Lambdas and others ie not 2009 ???.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
copperbeech said:
What I notice about my 09 transmission is not any rough shifting but rather how the engine...I think the term is lugs when driving at lower speeds; that is the engine seems like it is at too low an rpm but accelerating more isnt an option as the speed would be too much. Does anyone else experience this? So around town I much prefer driving our simple 4 cylinder 5 speed and use the Lambda on the HWY.
I agree with you on the transmission shifting. I have NOT had the tranny recalibtated, have asked questions about those who did, but did not get definitive answers as to the improvements .... OR not.

Even though the 6 speed is supposed to be good for mileage, mine still varies between 16 and 20 ....never over 20 no matter what I do. That is disappointing to me.

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
Copper - I also had an update of the programming for the TCM (transmission control module). Before that, my car would have to hunt sometimes to find the right gear to be in. I don't know if what I got done is the same update that they did for jajogega, but my 09 Traverse at 8,000 miles on the ticker is silky smooth, peppy, and predictable on the highway AND around town. If you can't say the same for yours, don't park it, drive it back to the dealer and make them fix it.

I have to drive at least six or seven miles on surface streets in any direction to get to an Interstate. My Traverse makes those miles a pleasure.

These cars cost too much $$ to be for part-time use only. It doesn't have to be that way.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
andylibby said:
Copper - I also had an update of the programming for the TCM (transmission control module). Before that, my car would have to hunt sometimes to find the right gear to be in. I don't know if what I got done is the same update that they did for jajogega, but my 09 Traverse at 8,000 miles on the ticker is silky smooth, peppy, and predictable on the highway AND around town. If you can't say the same for yours, don't park it, drive it back to the dealer and make them fix it.

I have to drive at least six or seven miles on surface streets in any direction to get to an Interstate. My Traverse makes those miles a pleasure.

These cars cost too much $$ to be for part-time use only. It doesn't have to be that way.
Andylibby,

Are you saying, since the reprogramming, that the tranny upshifts LATER or SOONER? Sooner seems to be the problem on mine now, it's in 3rd or 4th too soon, causing it to lug and feeling like it should be in 2nd gear with a higher RPM.

Thanks for any thoughts on this....

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
Bob - I suppose the answer is that it shifts later. It doesn't appear to be trying to get to the highest possible gear for a given speed as soon as possible. In truth, it just drives the way we all expect a GM auto transmission to.

I was very worried that getting the reprogramming would kill my mileage. I thought at first it had done exactly that as I got the update done right before the holidays. My mileage dropped to about 15 mpg. It turns out that the drop was due to my exclusively local driving with no highway miles at all --- I didn't go to the office or anywhere but around our little town for over two weeks over Christmas. Now that my driving habits are back to normal, I'm averaging a little over 19 mph in mixed driving with FWD and that's acceptable to me.

I might add that I drive normally -- not too heavy-footed and not overly cautious about mileage. If I need to gun it to get into traffic, I do it and it doesn't seem to kill my overall average. I've had several trips where I've driven strictly highway miles for a good while and, when I've thought to do so, I've reset the mpgs as I set out. I've gotten over 23 several times and once with an obvious tail wind I logged 25.5 mpg covering 100 miles at 70 mph.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't had a programming update but my '09 (bought late) is either programmed different than the OP's or I drive it differently. I never have a sense of lugging it around town. My acceleration is very rheostat-like with gas pedal position. In normal city driving it feels great to me. My only complaint is if I suddenly want to floor it, and haven't planned ahead by dropping into L, there is an unusually long lag to downshift and engage compared to other auto's I've had.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
andylibby said:
Bob - I suppose the answer is that it shifts later. It doesn't appear to be trying to get to the highest possible gear for a given speed as soon as possible. In truth, it just drives the way we all expect a GM auto transmission to.

I was very worried that getting the reprogramming would kill my mileage. I thought at first it had done exactly that as I got the update done right before the holidays. My mileage dropped to about 15 mpg. It turns out that the drop was due to my exclusively local driving with no highway miles at all --- I didn't go to the office or anywhere but around our little town for over two weeks over Christmas. Now that my driving habits are back to normal, I'm averaging a little over 19 mph in mixed driving with FWD and that's acceptable to me.

I might add that I drive normally -- not too heavy-footed and not overly cautious about mileage. If I need to gun it to get into traffic, I do it and it doesn't seem to kill my overall average. I've had several trips where I've driven strictly highway miles for a good while and, when I've thought to do so, I've reset the mpgs as I set out. I've gotten over 23 several times and once with an obvious tail wind I logged 25.5 mpg covering 100 miles at 70 mph.

Hope that helps.
Andylibby,

Yes, your comments help very much. Like you, mine is a FWD, but would like to see something over 20 mpg, once in a while.

Thanks for your reply.

Bob

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
andylibby said:
Copper - I also had an update of the programming for the TCM (transmission control module).

It was my understanding that 2010 had a TCM software update but it wasnt yet applicable for the 09s. Andy by chance do you have the TSB# or such for this tranny update?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Copper - I'd be happy to get you the number of the service that was performed in updating my transmission controller. Unfortunately, I'm not home just now. Give me a couple of days and I'll get you the numbers.

BTW, I took special note today of how my car drives at low speeds in order to describe it to you. One of our fellow forum members described his accellerator as feeling like a rheostat, i.e.: you push on it and there's a direct, proportional response. That's a very good description and it matches what I find with mine.

There's hope for you, my friend.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
andylibby said:
Copper - I'd be happy to get you the number of the service that was performed in updating my transmission controller. Unfortunately, I'm not home just now. Give me a couple of days and I'll get you the numbers.
I look forward to hearing from you Andy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I also had the update to my '09 transmission. That did wonders for the vehicle. It wasn't a big change, but was noticable in shifting, especially "around town", and in gas milage.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Narg said:
I also had the update to my '09 transmission. That did wonders for the vehicle. It wasn't a big change, but was noticable in shifting, especially "around town", and in gas milage.
Tell me, how is the trans shifting now different to you, now that you've had the modification done?

Bob

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Narg said:
I also had the update to my '09 transmission. That did wonders for the vehicle.
Narg when you have time can you check the specific ID of this update as listed on the receipt/work order? I wonder if it is the same as andylibby's?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a 2010 Traverse LS 2 weeks ago. Wife does most of the driving, so I have not noticed any transmission problems yet. I wonder if this update would be easy to look up for the Service department, to check if it was done on our vehicle before we took delivery (end of February)? Does anyone think you could check this over the phone?

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
prob part of the factory programming.

·
Registered
417 Posts
copperbeech said:
Narg when you have time can you check the specific ID of this update as listed on the receipt/work order? I wonder if it is the same as andylibby's?
Sorry cobberbeech, I've been away from the forums for a while. I couldn't find the receipt for the work, but any shop will most likely reprogram the tranny if you just ask (maybe strongly).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts