Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several owners of the Traverse out here in Portland, have an issue that if you come up to a red light and you are on a slight uphill - the time it takes to move your foot from the brake to the fuel pedal, the Traverse starts to roll backwards. Remember in Driver's Training Class they told you not to use two feet when driving an automatic? Well, it is a must while driving the Traverse. Does others notice this or know of a fix? If it were a stickshift - I would have had to replace the clutch by now.

Regards........

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
this is normal on the Traverse, acadia, outlook, enclave.

I believe it has to do with fuel saving, low line pressure in the trans, and the 6 speed.

The traverse does not have hill assist- like the Equinox does.

The owners fix- is to simply use 2 feet on hills... this is easy to do- for people who know how to drive stick shift cars...

people who have never driven stick--- may find it hard....
but- youll have to remember to use 2 feet on hills.

people have become accustomed to having the engine/trans- hold the car on some hills...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yes, as stated by rbarrios, the Traverse will roll ....... the first time I experienced this, well, it raised my heartbeat, for certain.

Bob

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This is someting I noticed right off the bat when we first got our Traverse last week. Although, I just figured it was due to the added weight of the vehicle, compared to the Grand Prix we traded in. **** the GXP I wouldn't hit the brakes at all on some hills, and the engine would just hold the car there. Dangerous though if people watch your tailights, and don't pay much attention to traffic, you could get rear ended. :banghead:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't live in a very hilly area, however I can't imagine having to use two feet unless the guy behind you is on your a$$! If you simply let off the brake and go right to the gas you may roll some, but shouldn't hit the guy behind you! Maybe in the moutains :eek:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Reiterating the fact when you take your foot of the brake that you should be ready for your vehicle to move... brakes are no longer applied. This is the expectation in a vehicle with manual transmission. Folks who are coming from a 3 or 4 speed automatic that is an older model vehicle may be used to the engine/trans holding the vehicle. This is a 2.5 ton vehicle... gravity does have an effect here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned a 2010 AWD Traverse since February of this year and find it annoying that this car rolls back when sitting on a slight grade at a stop or intersection. This seems to be a safety concern as we are accustomed to our automatic transmission cars holding in these instances. Has anyone contacted GM and if so, what is their response? Is there any field fix for this condition? I love this vehicle with this exception.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
There is no 'fix" for this condition, it is in the design of the vehicle.

Bob

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
your previous vehicles- also werent 6 speeds---
and they probably also were not capable of giving you 25-30 MPG on the highway... considering its a what 2.5 ton vehicle...
(I saw 25-30MPG highway- since theres quite a few of us here who have reported this nice mileage)

·
Registered
202 Posts
rbarrios said:
your previous vehicles- also werent 6 speeds---
Honestly though, this is unique to the lambda platform. My g8 has a 6 speed, and the inlaws 4-cyl terrain has a 6-speed, and neither have this issue.

I do agree though, that it's the "by design" low pressure in the 6 speed transmission calibration (TCM) of the lambda's that increases fuel efficiency for such a lug of a truck, yet the side effect is weak engine hold when on an incline.

Use two foot breaking and accelerating technique (until you get moving in the intended direction, then release the brake) as previously discussed to prevent any accidents when doing this. Works great for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hmmmm.... never even noticed. Our last few vehicles were manual transmissions, so I wasn't expecting anything different. It's not like it rolls 5 feet back or anything, like someone else said, unless the person behind you is sitting on your bumper, it's not going to be a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bsonia said:
I have owned a 2010 AWD Traverse since February of this year and find it annoying that this car rolls back when sitting on a slight grade at a stop or intersection. This seems to be a safety concern as we are accustomed to our automatic transmission cars holding in these instances. Has anyone contacted GM and if so, what is their response? Is there any field fix for this condition? I love this vehicle with this exception.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bsonia said:
my previous vehicle was a 6 speed Tundra and believe it or not it actually got me 17mpg in town and 22mpg on highjway and weighed a lot more than the Traverse and it never rolled back on a slight grade or even a hill. I mloved my Tundra but life changing circumstances brought the Traverse into play. Still love the Traverse anyway and it is a great vehicle to travel across the US with, which I have done several times since February. I guess I can say my Traverse "rock and rolls" :) :) :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in Pittsburgh which is nothing but steep hills, I have had several close calls with my Traverse rolling backwards.
I have used the two foot method and occasionally " burned rubber " when I stepped on the gas.
Does anyone know if you roll backwards into someone if it's their fault for being too close or are you too blame??

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am actually starting to like this 'feature'. The other day I was pulling into a narrow and steep driveway, and to park it better, it was cool to drive in, lift the gas pedal, I adjusted the steering as the vehicle rolled back, and pulled in again nice and straight. Just like a stick.

I thought it was cool - it actually made me smile. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Now when I drives other small cars, I am not used to press the brake hardly when waiting for the light.

silverfish said:
I am actually starting to like this 'feature'. The other day I was pulling into a narrow and steep driveway, and to park it better, it was cool to drive in, lift the gas pedal, I adjusted the steering as the vehicle rolled back, and pulled in again nice and straight. Just like a stick.

I thought it was cool - it actually made me smile. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts