Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that GM Navigation systems only work when you pay for an On-Star subscription. Does anyone know if this is true? I am hoping it isn't true because have the in-dash navigation system would be great but I don't want to pay for an On-Star subscription. Ideally, the navigation system, turn by turn, and voice command would all be built into the system itself. The only thing you should ever have to do is perhaps download more mapping data. Overall, it wouldn't change my mind on the care...I just wouldn't get the Nav system. I would use the one I already have which has a suction cup mount but the built in system would be much more tidy in the vehicle. If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The OnStar turn by turn requires "directions and connections" onstar subscription, but I don't think the Nav is tied to onstar. But since I don't have Nav in my acadia, I can't be positive. There are a handful of users on here from the other Lambda forums - guys, anyone have the nav that can answer Hoodlum's questions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
All Lambda's come with 1-year OnStar Directions and Connections service, which includes Turn-by-Turn navigation. You do not require OnStar with the in-dash Navigation, although with OnStar's recent announcement regarding downloadable directions, you might think twice. This new feature allows you to change or add to your route without putting the vehicle in park to program the nav. All you have to do is hit the button, give them the new destination and they will route it to your nav system without you having to stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. They should make the nav system and On-star totally independent of eachother. I currently have a Magellan GPS Unit, with turn by turn voice prompts, and it's great. The only problem is, you have to mount it to the window with a suction mount when you want to use it. I guess that's not so bad considering that you only use it when you travel anyway. I've heard that a lot of people find the manufcaturer Nav Systems to be a pain in the butt for reasons like this, and stopping to enter directions, and/or your music shutting off every time a voice prompt is announced. I am leaning towards not getting the Navigation System at all, and sticking with the one I have. Like I said, it wouldn't change my mind in getting the vehicle or anything...just more of a practical decision to make. Also, I think I would rather put the extra money toward a DVD system, upgraded music system, and/or the backup cam...I would get more use out of those.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The in-dash nav system is not reliant on Onstar. It has its own GPS antenna that is mounted under the passenger side corner of the dashboard in the other Lambdas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That certainly is an impressive tutorial. I'm not sure that I am quite as ambitious, but it is certainly something to consider trying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts