Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if GM finally installed middle seat head rests adjusters on it 2011 models? I have adult children and I simply will not buy a Traverse until GM gets its act together on this issue. If they don't, I will wait and see what the new Explorer offers since it will be out this fall. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I went on a factory tour at the end of June, and they were building 2011. The headrests are exactly the same as 2010, meaning they are NOT adjustable.

Someone on this site, or the Acadia site did make them adjustable. Apparently they have long bars, and there is a retaining clip that you can pop out which will allow the headrest to move up and down. I don't know if this person got the headrests to lock in a higher position though.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Ok, went out to play around with the headrests.

Look a the pictures.

Removing the 2nd row headrests takes a couple of minutes. There is a retaining clip on both posts of the head rest. I then removed the headrest and noticed that they have notches in them for one height setting about 1.5" higher than default. This is really nice for those of us with car seats that need to get the tether to the back of the seat. You can have your 2nd row headrest permanently like this.

While I was sitting in the 2nd row, I was starring at the front row head rests. I took out the passenger one, and noticed how long the posts are on those. I slid that one in the second row seat. PERFECT FIT!

So if you really want height adjustable rear head rests, you need to order an extra set of front head rests. On GMpartsdirect, it is listed for $93 each.

You can still fold the 2nd row seats flat without the headrests hitting the front captains chairs

The only item that I can't figure out yet, is that socket that the posts slide into. The sockets on the 2nd row seat came out with a good tug. The ones on the front seat didn't. I'm wondering if you can order the front row sockets to put them in the 2nd row. The front row sockets have the button on them to allow you to remove lock the headrest into position.

If you use the 2nd row sockets as they are, its a friction fit. It is pretty tight though.

The first pic is of the 2nd row headrest.

The second pic is of the first row headrest installed in the second row.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
1. 1st row headrest, you can see how many more adjustments there are.

2. 2nd row socket removed

3. 2nd row head rest re-installed in second row, but using the additional setting. Yes there is 1 additional setting you can access, which raises the head rest about 1.5" from the factory shipped setting.

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
twinster2 said:
Does anyone know if GM finally installed middle seat head rests adjusters on it 2011 models? I have adult children and I simply will not buy a Traverse until GM gets its act together on this issue. If they don't, I will wait and see what the new Explorer offers since it will be out this fall. Thanks
So you will not buy a Traverse because the second row headrests won't adjust...........apparently you can adjust them with some effort.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
AA/78U said:
So you will not buy a Traverse because the second row headrests won't adjust...........apparently you can adjust them with some effort.
I do understand the OP safety concerns. I am very leery myself to sit in the middle row because the headrests are not high enough for me. I have seen too many videos that show the importance of properly adjusted head rests. That is why I am very satisfied with the front row, even though they are not great for sleeping. :)

If you really do love the Traverse, or any other Lambda, at least you know you can modify the seats to make it work.

You know, even the Dodge Grand Caravans have adjustable headrests. I really do believe this is a design over look in the Lambda seats.

Other than that, I ENJOY every aspect of the Traverse, and would buy the same thing if I had to do it over again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Any particular vehicle can't have every possible option/feature, or they would all cost a ton more than they do. There are just things that manufactures skimp on to put out a different feature that the others don't have. Just like daytime running lights. GM has had them since 1996, but there are STILL other manufactures who don't put them on as standard equipment. This is just a reality of not being able to have every feature on every vehicle, hence...why there's competition, and so many vehicles to choose from. Basically you look at what your absolute NEEDS are, then narrow down from there. For me the list for when we bought the Enclave was this:

NEEDS (in NO particular order):

7 or 8 passenger vehicle
FWD
Cloth seats
Something stylish (which mini-vans are not)
Something affordable (less then $35K selling price)
Safe vehicle (ABS, air bags, stabilitrak, traction control, good crash results)
Automatic trans.
Air, cruise, power windows/locks, keyless remote
Remote start

WANTS:
Something GM (almost a need, but we could drive something non-GM, just have never done so)
Something built in MI (again, not that important, but something to sway us if possible)
Dual (tri-zone) climate
Power liftgate
8-passenger seating
Tow hitch (for hauling a bike rack)

THINGS I WANT IN OUR NEXT VEHICLE THAT THE ENCLAVE DOESN'T HAVE NOW:

Adaptive cruise control
Button for child lock doors on dash (like the Thetas have, Equinox, Terrain)
Push button start
LED tail lights (I know, the Acadia has them)
Parallel park assist, or whatever that's called....that would be cool, but don't need it.

No where on that list did I mention adjustable rear headrests. We almost never adjust our front ones, so this is really a non-issue with us.

(Nice posts, Quantum....that took some work....I don't think people will be spending the cash for front headrests to put in the rear, but still a nice thought just the same)

A

·
0 Posts
twinster2 said:
I have adult children and I simply will not buy a Traverse until GM gets its act together on this issue. If they don't, I will wait and see what the new Explorer offers since it will be out this fall.
This statement is what tweaked me; none of that was actually necessary. The OP was inquiring about adjustable headrests; but adding the part about not buying a Traverse if GM doesn't get its act together and then throw in that they will look at an Explorer.................not needed IMO

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ok What am I doing wrong.Whay can't I see any pictures.What do I have to click.Quantum on your site you say click on pictures but where do I do this.Thanks old timer here.

A

·
0 Posts
I see that you are on 9 posts; try posting one more time; I think there might be a 10 post limit

·
Registered
223 Posts
Great That must have been it ,now I see pictures. Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
AA/78U said:
I see that you are on 9 posts; try posting one more time; I think there might be a 10 post limit
Why would the forum have a limit on the number of posts you have to make inorder to see pictures?! I could see maybe a limit until you can post pictures, but that seems odd to me. Obviously that was the issue, just seems like a dumb rule.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
Why would the forum have a limit on the number of posts you have to make inorder to see pictures?! I could see maybe a limit until you can post pictures, but that seems odd to me. Obviously that was the issue, just seems like a dumb rule.
probably so that people sign up and post to see pics if they really need them..
instead of seeing- and never coming back?

·
Registered
1 Posts
An old thread, I know, but I just bought a 2010 Traverse and had a problem with these restraints. I have a rather tall Britax car seat for my younger son and it didn't fit very well with the head restraint in the second row bucket seats. Quantum's post gave me just what I needed to look for to remove the head restraint. The retaining clips are a little hard too see until you really push down on the fabric (or leather) around the post sockets. Once I saw them, I was able to turn them so the "U" portion of the clip faced forward and then popped them right off. Off with the restraint. Now the car seat sits much better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree, not having adjustable head rests in the middle row is a pain for a baby car seat anchor. I read i need 10 posts to see pictures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts