Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost purchase a 2010 Traverse today. I said "almost" because my wife pointed out that the second row head rests do not appear to be adjustable and that their fixed position seems to be a perfect height to break the neck of an adult passenger during a rear end collision. Is there something that I'm missing that controls the head rest height? I'm not kidding about neck injuries. I'm 6 foot and my son is 6'3". When either of us sit in the second row, the head rest starts between the shoulder blades and ends below the base of the skull. I really like the Traverse, so if anyone has a solution to this issue let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
No the 2nd row headrests are not adjustable. I consider this a design flaw in the Traverse. I'm also very tall (6'8"), but I couldn't find another vehicle that suited are needs as well as this one. You may consider looking at the Ford Flex. I believe they are adjustable.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine do adjust. Well, they do now. Let me explain.

With a degree of effort and sore fingertips, I was able to back off the "circlips" on the rear headrest posts that hold the headrests in the fully inserted (lowered) position. Now I have about 1-1/2" of smooth up and down travel with--in my opinion--no apparent loss of function, safety, or integrity.

You might try the same procedure. You just worm your way (painfully) under the hard plastic collars to find the retaining clips and push them off.

:thumb:

·
Registered
551 Posts
andylibby said:

With a degree of effort and sore fingertips, I was able to back off the "circlips" on the rear headrest posts that hold the headrests in the fully inserted (lowered) position. Now I have about 1-1/2" of smooth up and down travel with--in my opinion--no apparent loss of function, safety, or integrity.

You might try the same procedure. You just worm your way (painfully) under the hard plastic collars to find the retaining clips and push them off.

What holds them in place now? In otherwords if you pull up will they fall off? If you raise them up an inch and you hit a bump do they stay? Without notches in the metal to hold them in place it seems they would slide around? no?

I can not understand how they could overlook this. My jeep also does not adjust and our child seat will not fit. Thankfully they do in the Traverse, but what do people do when they dont and they cant go out and spend money on a new child seat. Poor though process on their part, guessing to save money.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If there is only a "smooth shaft" on those head restraints, what would hold those restaraints in a "locked position" upon a rear end impact?

I don't understand why the 2nd row is not adjustable, there has to be some reasoning :crazy:eek:n GM's part that we have not heard.

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
The headrests are still snug and require both hands to slide them up and down. They don't move when you hit a bump and I think they would even stay put in a collision - at least for the initial impact which is likely satisfactory.

I also removed the driver's headrest and notched a higher position into both rails with a sharp little file. This keeps the headrest from pressing against the back of my neck/shoulders while I'm driving.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
andylibby said:
I also took the driver's headrest off and filed a higher position into both rails. This keeps the back of my neck/shoulders from rubbing while I'm driving.
That maybe something I will consider doing too! I have no complaints yet, but at least I know its an option!

·
Registered
24 Posts
andylibby said:

Did you manage to take the clips all the way off? Trying to figure this out as they are a pain and I only have 2 sore hands atm lol

*edit* I took a pair of wire pliers to it and found out that YES you can pull these horseshoe pins out. One side of the pin is contoured to go around the bar and the other side is straight since it apparently acts as the click lock for the bar. When I pulled the headrest out it was NOT smooth bar it had 2 notches in it, they did not look like dremel marks either. I have a 2010 Traverse with second row bench seat if it matters. Using the pliers with was an easy pull from the back side of the seat and allows some adjustment. For me the adjustment isn't so much as for tall people as most of my passengers are under 6 feet in height. I was attempting to install a baby mirror so I could keep an eye on my daughter in her rear facing back seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts