Traverse Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Is it possible the dealer quietly made a software update to the OLM? and didnt tell you on paperwork?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is it possible the dealer quietly made a software update to the OLM? and didnt tell you on paperwork?
I did not go to the dealer prior to the DIY oil change, unless they can update it with Onstar without a subscription. Everything seems normal before the DIY! Tonight I got a check engine light, but I don't have a code reader. The check engine light disappeared after three separate trips (2x30KM and 1x5KM). I will try to replace the FRAM oil filter with a Delco PF63e. Crossing my fingers hoping the weather will turn nice so that I don't get numb fingers.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I suspect that changing your filter is NOT going to solve your problem; but at least it will get you looking somewhere else. You can take it to your local auto parts store next time the CEL comes on and they can lend you a reader to see what the codes are.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I replaced the filter today. The OEM filter PF63E from the dealer is cheaper than the FRAM and Mobil1 that I bought! When I try to remove the FRAM XG10575 it was really tight. I hand tighten it myself when I install it and I need all sorts of tools to remove it today. The cover plate sure look different between the OEM and FRAM. The cover plate on the OEM (left) is flat. I don't know that matters or not. I only traveled 1050KM with the FRAM filter and the oil is pretty brown already.
OEMvsFRAM.jpg

·
Registered
480 Posts
Does the Fram have that rubber grip on the top? That is one reason why I Used to buy Frams, they were easy to spin off when the time came. You can get those oil filter end cap attachments which fit into the flutes and then use a ratchet. The clearance on the Traverse should alloy it, on an Equinox it's a different story. The K&Ns have a welded hex which you can use a 1" wrench on, which is helpful, rather, necessary on the Nox.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Does the Fram have that rubber grip on the top? That is one reason why I Used to buy Frams, they were easy to spin off when the time came. You can get those oil filter end cap attachments which fit into the flutes and then use a ratchet. The clearance on the Traverse should alloy it, on an Equinox it's a different story. The K&Ns have a welded hex which you can use a 1" wrench on, which is helpful, rather, necessary on the Nox.
Yes, the FRAM has the rubber grip on the top. I hand tighten the filter myself when I put it on few weeks ago and I can't move it a bit with my bare hands when trying to take it off! The location of the filter has little room to work in. I only able to use one hand trying to undo the filter. After fiddled it for half an hour, I managed to unscrew it off the thread using an adjustable socket type oil filter wrench.
Adjustable Socket-Type Oil Filter Wrench.jpg

·
Registered
324 Posts
Never had an issue removing an oil filter I installed with my bare hands or at most with nitrile gloves on... Couple times I've worked on vehicles serviced by dealers or quick-lubes those filters required strap wrenches or the old screwdriver poke through.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
what is that stuff on top of the used filter?
Is it disintegrated media or did you wipe it with a towel that left behind pieces of towel?

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
yes- post 25

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
what is that stuff on top of the used filter?
Is it disintegrated media or did you wipe it with a towel that left behind pieces of towel?
RBarios, you have good eyesight. That was a piece of paper towel that got left behind after I wiped the top to take the picture.

I am not driving the Traverse often enough lately, so I can't update the result after I switched the oil filter from FRAM XG10575 to AC Delco PF-63E. The temperature gauge on my traverse do came down a little. Now it is right at the half way mark. I will update the OLM percentage after I run the vehicle long enough.

Merry Christmas to all.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts