Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, they are all the same. But they don't have the same part numbers due to the different instrument lighting used in each car.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
tim said:
Yes, they are all the same. But they don't have the same part numbers due to the different instrument lighting used in each car.
Ah, good point. Chevy's is a more whitish green now, Saturn is orange'ish, and Buick Green, GMC Red.

Man, I wish that is something we could change with a flick of a switch. I miss my Pontiac red lighted guages. :'(

·
Registered
551 Posts
tim said:
That is not true. The Traverse has two different models. I know this because my Nav will not play DVD's on my nav screen because I have the dual headrests screens, while an overhead dvd player will play in the front nav. Crazy i know, but they are different part numbers and different nav units. Now, what are the differences other than that, I have no idea!

A

·
0 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
That is not true. The Traverse has two different models. I know this because my Nav will not play DVD's on my nav screen because I have the dual headrests screens, while an overhead dvd player will play in the front nav. Crazy i know, but they are different part numbers and different nav units. Now, what are the differences other than that, I have no idea!
The dual headrest system isn't wired to the NAV as the overhead system is; remember the overhead system is installed at the factory while the headrest system is installed after the fact at the dealer

·
Registered
551 Posts
AA/78U said:
The dual headrest system isn't wired to the NAV as the overhead system is; remember the overhead system is installed at the factory while the headrest system is installed after the fact at the dealer
So does that mean they are the same unit? I could have swore they had different model numbers, but I could be totally wrong.

I understand if I put in a dvd in the nav it wont play on my dual screens because they do not connect. But if I put a dvd in general in the nav it wont play while in park, where as the other unit will? I wouldnt think that has anything to do with wiring. ???

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
As stated they very based on the lighting color in the dash but it's the exact same unit and they are cross platform compatible.

You will need to go to GM to have the Radio code added to the BCM or it will not work. This is a security feature that basically makes your radio worthless. If someone steals it.

Yes they do keep stolen radio ID on a database you just have to report it to them if yours is stolen. This at least gives you the satisfaction of knowing no one will use your hot radio ever again :)

A

·
0 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
So does that mean they are the same unit? I could have swore they had different model numbers, but I could be totally wrong.

I understand if I put in a dvd in the nav it wont play on my dual screens because they do not connect. But if I put a dvd in general in the nav it wont play while in park, where as the other unit will? I wouldnt think that has anything to do with wiring. ???
I'm not sure either; we need someone to look up part numbers to confirm ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
As stated they very based on the lighting color in the dash but it's the exact same unit and they are cross platform compatible.

You will need to go to GM to have the Radio code added to the BCM or it will not work. This is a security feature that basically makes your radio worthless. If someone steals it.
You mean stolen like these! No wonder some dealers take the units out while on the lot, you wake up one morning and 10 units are missing!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-Acadia-Navigation-Radios-20792734-OEM-GPS-NAV-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf4bc9856QQitemZ330523514966QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo#ht_4137wt_1167
Are they really asking $3,800 for ONE unit, that seems really high no?

Notice they mention the part number, and the fact that those nav units do NOT play DVD's. I still think there are different models other than simply the color.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought the difference in the numbers were for the RSE support. So, the nav units have a CD player or a DVD player in the slot on the face. Of course, the navigation dvd is placed behind the face in both.

A

·
0 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
You mean stolen like these! No wonder some dealers take the units out while on the lot, you wake up one morning and 10 units are missing!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-Acadia-Navigation-Radios-20792734-OEM-GPS-NAV-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf4bc9856QQitemZ330523514966QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo#ht_4137wt_1167

Notice they mention the part number, and the fact that those nav units do NOT play DVD's. I still think there are different models other than simply the color.
That sale was posted by Schram who happens to be an Acadia forum sponsor and that price is for all 10 I think

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You beat me to the punch, AA/78U!

I was going to mention that Schram is a sponser on these boards and has several salvage yards in the Michigan area. I know over the years they have always had a huge selection of late model GM cars and parts. He has posted on these boards before, and is a pleasure to deal with.

I have purchased from him years ago before these forums existed, and they are a class operation!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tiestosteele said:

While that price may seem like a steal for 10 units, I can assure you you are violating no US law by taking advantage of our offer! And if 10 isn't enough, I have more!

·
Registered
16 Posts
kuhldip said:
I thought the difference in the numbers were for the RSE support. So, the nav units have a CD player or a DVD player in the slot on the face. Of course, the navigation dvd is placed behind the face in both.
I'll clarify for everyone a little bit.

For 2007+ SUV's / Trucks there are two main types of NAV units with many subdivisions, all of which work with each other if programmed correctly.

All types have a main break down: With rear seat entertainment or without. The main difference here is that the front disc play in the RSE unit will play DVD's when in park, or while in motion if you have the rear seat entertainment option. The non RSE unit will no play DVD's in the front drive. I believe every version of the radio has both of these options available. The following excludes Denali, Escalade, and H2 models.

Denzo makes the units that come in your standard truck and SUV (Excluding Escalade, Denali, and H2) and have blue lights. 2007-2008 do not have any serious differences that I am aware of. 2009 is compatible with Bluetooth (it does not control the blue tooth, that's the VCIM, but it is compatible). 2010-11 have an option for a USB drive. Any of these will work in a LAMBDA model as well but did not come stock from the dealer and you may confuse them when you come in for programming, but they 100% will work. These require the Denzo discs, so make sure if you install a Denzo unit that you order a disc for a Silverado Tahoe Sierra ETC.

Delphi makes the unit that comes in the LAMBDA models. They are all the same except have different colored lights. Acadia has red, Outlook is kind of whiteish-yellow, ETC. 2007-2008 seem to be more or less the same. 2009 are compatible with Bluetooth but do not control the Bluetooth (this is in the VCIM) 2010-2011 have an option for a USB port. Any of these will work in a LAMBDA model (or a standard NBS truck model) but again, your dealer may look up the part number and get confused, but they will absolutely work. These require the Delphi disc, so make sure if you install a Delphi unit that you order a disc for a Acadia, Outlook ETC.

All of the above will also work in some other models, but I’ve only personally tested them in SUV’s.

If you are putting any unit into a LAMBDA, you will require the head unit, NAV Antenna, and disc. If you are installing a 2009+ unit and want Bluetooth, you need a VCIM as well. If you are trying for USB, you need a little bit of custom wiring for an input and the USB wire. No VSS wire is needed, it already exists in your vehicle.

If you are putting any unit into a NBS Truck / SUV, you will require the head unit, NAV Antenna, and disc. If you are installing a 2009+ unit and want Bluetooth, you need a VCIM as well. If you are trying for USB, you need a little bit of custom wiring for an input and the USB wire. A VSS wire is not required, but is recommended.

Any used unit you purchase should be theft-locked, and will require the VIN from the previous vehicle for the dealer to unlock it.

Any NEW unit shouldn’t need to be unlocked unless someone unfortunately powered it up in another vehicle for some reason.

The install is relatively painless. The unit will work without programming, but you may experience some… Unpleasantness, as your door chimes and turn signals will be very loud, and not all of your features (XM, steering wheel controls) may not work. This can only be solved by taking it to a dealer and having it programmed. The problem is some dealers simply don’t know how to do this. For this reason, I recommend that if you are going to do the upgrade, use Google, get a list of a few local GM dealers (doesn’t need to be your make, any GM dealership will do) and ask their service department “Have you upgraded a truck without navigation to one with navigation before?” if you say no, call the next one. If they say yes, you should feel somewhat confident about taking it in to them.

If you take the unit in and they tell you it won’t work based on the part number, they’re technically correct (their system may indicate that it doesn’t) but the reality is they do work. Take it somewhere else if they won’t do it. If they do the programming and can’t get it, they’re programming wrong and don’t know how to do it properly. If they do the programming and it doesn’t work correctly (or the chimes are still loud) they did it wrong and need to do it again and be more careful entering your options.

If you still are having problems, e-mail me at [email protected] . I have step by step directions on how to do it, but even with these some dealers still fail. I have no explanation why, but usually the best (and only solution) is to take it somewhere else.

If you want to avoid this, I know there is a company out in California that does the programming on a bench. He charges about the same as a dealer would. But from what I understand, he cannot program a Denzo unit for a Delphi vehicle or a Delphi unit for a Denzo vehicle., so if you’re going to go that route be careful.

I think that about covers it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One small thing to add. There is the idea out there that bose / non bose vehicle can only take bose / non bose units. This was the case in the old GMT800 trucks, but not in the NBS (2007+) vehicles. The idea carried over somehow, and I was even guilty of thinking it until we tested it locally.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Great information here Schram.

Maybe we could get a moderator to post your bit of info. as a sticky, to answer more questions quickly. :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you Schram for the wealth of info.
I have a 2011 1lt with Personal connectivity and overhead RSE. Can i use a Nav radio from a 2010 Traverse/Acadia/Enclave? Any suggestions on order of preference?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: Do all Lambdas share the same nav system?

No. It's the bluetooth handsfree package.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts