Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a deal for a remote start package @ JC Whitney. I've never had any experience putting one of these in...how difficult is it? Any other tips?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I attempted one many years ago....looked at the wiring and said no way and returned it. I can change an engine...head gaskets...brakes...CPU hard drives....etc. But that looked like pure ****. Your local car electronics shop will do it for less than $250....JC whit can't be that great of a deal.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would not recommend trying to install by yourself, there is enough problems with some installs by so called pros. Ask friends and family, along with your selling dealer who do they deal. I had a friend who owned a shop that installed Compustar brand http://www.compustar.org/ about 5 years ago and have had no problems. We regularly remove the cheaper remote start kits, or have them removed by the shop we trust, on many trade ins to avoid problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JC Whitney was 69 bucks - I've seen my step dad install one, but hes a mechanic by trade.

Maybe its worth the 249 for the dealer installed one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
With all the integrated systems in todays cars it is very easy to make a mistake or weak connection when installing remote starts or any non plug and play accessory. I was a certified mechanic 10 years ago and I personally would not install my own remote start jmop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought one for my wife a few years ago to be installed on her 4-runner. I looked at the instruction, laughed, and drove the car to a local garage. It never worked right and I feel to this day that's why the started went out. WHo know? Good luck in what ever you decide.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I see alot of post about remote starters causing problems. especially with the onboard computers- and the intercommunication.
If I get something like that--- Im getting it from the factory...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts