Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
{new forum software-if picts can't be seen let me know how to make them public in the gallery}

My blue hair state of Florida has always been a little slow. Whether that be 10 mph slower in the left lane or being one of the last states to pass a law requiring “Hands Free” cell phone use (in construction/school zones). Wasn't going to drill the console of my 2016-LS Gen 1 and I use my cupholders, so I installed a phone floor mount today and took some picts.

IMG_5467.JPG

I didn't want a windshield/AC-vent mount to invite a meth-head to smash my window looking for it. And I wanted to keep it low so I could still scroll the screen cruising down the turnpike without drawing attention. I picked up the Arkon floor mount ($30) and cut off the fork on the metal bracket so it mounted flush. The solid rod inside is a soft aluminum so it bends then holds any angle/shape

Arkon_mount.jpg

Inside of the center console kick panel is a heavy duty steel welded mount that I drilled 2 holes in, so it provided a super strong mounting point. Before you remove the side kick panel you have to remove the black under-the-steering cover. It's just expand & remove 3 easy plastic rivots and it drops right down.

20200114_171721.jpg

Then on the kick panel, pop off the 3 inch square air duct vent cover with a flat screw driver. Use your fingers inside the vent hole and pull gently outward to pop the 5 clips out of their holes near the seat cushion. The panel removes easily by pulling it out from the bottom 2 inches and when loose, slides backwards and straight up. P.S. There's all kinds of room and stuff under the center console too-maybe tuck a small 120v inverter??

20200114_162723.jpg

Pre-measured my drill points near the floor to align with the steel mount and then exactly measured the plastic kick panel and drilled 2 holes in there also.

20200114_162230.jpg

Now here is the cool part. I didn't want to use self tapping screws because I wanted a stronger holding bolt I could torque down hard so the phone holder will last for years. I also wanted some adjustment wiggle before tightening everything up. But once the kick panel is in place you can't really get back there to hold a bolt. I used a pair of M6-1.00x45 bolts and put them in 'backwards' into a standard M6 body hardware 'speed clip' you can find at any auto parts store (Needa #454110, $4).

20200114_184931.jpg

Pushed the speed clip over the drilled hole, backwards screwed the M6 bolt like in the picture above and got it lined up ready to re-install the drilled kick panel.

20200114_162244.jpg

The kick panel with the pre-measured and pre-drilled holes let the threaded bolts come thru very easily and because the speed clip is flexible, the bolts can wiggle around before tightening to make it simple to align with the holes on the phone mount's metal bracket

20200114_162921.jpg

With everything installed and rock solid. I might grab some cheap bolt caps and cover the threads just to make it look nice, but being low on the floor you really can't see it. Lastly the other reason I wanted to do a floor mount is if I ever change my mind and want to remove it, the holes in the carpet are so small, I can hole punch a circle of excess carpet that's folded underneath to glue in and the area is back to the original look.

20200115_102645.jpg

When it's all done, I have a “down-low”, hands free holder that can accept a charging cable. It doesn't draw unwanted attention with window shoppers passing by and it's easy to insert or grab.

IMG_5468.JPG

Just trying to share tips and tricks for working on your Traverse. Hit the like button if you enjoyed this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..But didn't the bolts still want to spin ....
Since the speed clip has M6 threads inside, I just grabbed the bolt threads with needle nose pliers and tightened the head against the clip. Nice and solid and the clip is spring steel and allows some angle flexing to line up to the mount. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Gave it a like... creative solution for your problem that could work well for others.

Not for me unfortunately, I'm a larger individual and my knees would be banging against that constantly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts