Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to disable Onstar? I'm driving down the road when my radio mutes, Onstar appears in the DIC, and I get a commercial telling me the benifits of subscription. Already aware, Thanks. I don't know how long the come on is, so I hit the Onstar button to tell them to restore my radio. I get the come on again. Just make my radio work again!

Internet searches lead to "how to" other vehicles, but not the Traverse. Does anyone know how, or where the unit is located? Thanks, Dave C.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think it's time to go to the dealer to have it checked out . Or the easiest thing would be to push the Onstar button and talk to the rep on the other end and ask if they can give you some guidance. One thing you should not do is try to disable the Onstar unit I know of one person (a mechanic) working on his vehicle and apparently he did something to the unit , next thing he knew the PD was in his driveway because it sent a signal that someone was tampering with the car or possibly stealing it. After seeing the police response he decided it would be a good thing to have in the car and decided to get the Onstar service after that. I have had Onstar in two p/up's since 2001, I've only needed it a few times but when I did it was worth the cost plus it can save on trips to the dealership with the on-board diagnostics, and insurance . Good luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm led to believe that I would have to pay the dealer to disable the Onstar, after I westle with them about if they could or would even do it. Removing the antennae from the unit shouldn't be too big of a task. I don't have a problem if the police show up while I'm working on this. I can tell from my internet search that many people love Onstar. I'm not one of them, however. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
odypilots said:
I'm led to believe that I would have to pay the dealer to disable the Onstar, after I westle with them about if they could or would even do it. Removing the antennae from the unit shouldn't be too big of a task. I don't have a problem if the police show up while I'm working on this. I can tell from my internet search that many people love Onstar. I'm not one of them, however. Thanks for the response!
If you have a wife, children ...whatever ...... and an emergency arises, you'll thank OnStar for being there.

Bob

·
Registered
860 Posts
As I posted on the other forum:

Since you have it free for a year, I think I would leave it hooked up. I would also suggest pushing the OnStar button and talking to a rep about seeing if they can assist with getting rid of the ads (unless there's another problem with the system).

Best of luck.

I'm with Bob's suggestion here, too. I have a wife and two boys that haul other kids home from school every day in the Traverse. Any additional measure of safety or notification to emergency services should the unthinkable happen is worth it to me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just because you get commercials doesn't mean your gonna get the member benefits of them notifying emergency services in an accident, BUT I hope you never have to find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
Just because you get commercials doesn't mean your gonna get the member benefits of them notifying emergency services in an accident, BUT I hope you never have to find out for sure.
Are the commercials coming because the 1 year free period has elapsed and the owner has not subscribed?? Not clear on his situation.

Bob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bobg1951chevy said:
Are the commercials coming because the 1 year free period has elapsed and the owner has not subscribed?? Not clear on his situation.

Bob
The commercials are coming because I haven't signed up for the free year. I don't really want to get into the reasons I chose not to sign up, but in a conversation with my salesman days after the sale, he says to me "Do me a favor, sign up with Onstar, would you?" like it would be doing him personally a favor. Why would it make any difference to him if I don't sign up? I had already decided not to sign up, and that request only added to my resolve. I did press the button and talked to an operator to stop the commercial, and wonder if that was enough to put me into thier system, hence my desire to deactivate it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Didn't realize you didn't sign up for the free year. And if you don't want to that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
551 Posts
odypilots said:
but in a conversation with my salesman days after the sale, he says to me "Do me a favor, sign up with Onstar, would you?" like it would be doing him personally a favor. Why would it make any difference to him if I don't sign up?
Now that you menition that, our salemens went out of his was to sing up for us. In other words he went out to our traverse, pushed the button, and walked through the steps for us to make sure we signed up. We were planning on it so I never thought twice about it. They MUST be getting some kind of kickback from onstar or chevy if their customers sign up because our sales guy was a moron with everything but he got this done....

·
Registered
201 Posts
You get a free year, why not use it. I ,as many know, am a Chevrolet Salesperson and we push the button because it is part of the delivery process. When I sign my customers up it is because I care about the safety benefits for them. I personally get nothing out of the process, except for one less person complaining to me about not during my job. OnStar is the only service of its kind that will send someone if you are unconscious after an accident when you rely need them. More insurance companies are seeing the benefit of the service and giving discounts. If you have seen the commercial about the stolen Tahoe it is true in the Detroit area a person had his Tahoe stolen and it was recovered very quickly and without personal injury to anyone. I am not a fan of big brother and don't think of it that way, think of it as insurance for the people you care for most.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes, but you don't run around with foil on your head so that the gov't doesn't intercept your brain waves.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ody - Your reasons for not wanting to sign up are your business. I understand that.
However, because this forum is about more than facts and figures, but also extends to likes, dislikes, and personal opinions, let me ask you on behalf of posterity and my own curiousity---and speaking as a big fan of OnStar---why didn't you want the service? :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
andylibby said:
Ody - Your reasons for not wanting to sign up are your business. I understand that.
However, because this forum is about more than facts and figures, but also extends to likes, dislikes, and personal opinions, let me ask you on behalf of posterity and my own curiousity---and speaking as a big fan of OnStar---why didn't you want the service? :)
The "Big Brother" thing. I realize that there are real benefits to having Onstar, but to me it's just another step onto the slippery slope. To carry it to an extreme, I can see the day when "they" say, "If you just put this chip in your arm, we can tell when you have a heart attack, and send a reponse team to you". Some people may LOVE that idea, not me. Each to their own.

Oh, and Zman, I think the tin foil hat brings out the color in my eyes! ;D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ody - Well stated. I can't imagine very many people being more opposed to government involvement in our lives than I am. But, if you have a cell phone, if you have a credit card, if you have a mortgage, if you have an email account, they pretty much got you already.

As for Big Brother, I work with the Amber Alert (missing children) team in my area. Did you know that police can ping your cell phone and locate you within 30 feet anytime your phone is on and you have cell service? They have to have a good reason to do it, but I have a beautiful young granddaughter and I sleep better knowing that technoogy exists.

OnStar will be in her car when she starts driving if I have to buy the car and pay for the service myself.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
andylibby said:
Ody - Well stated. I can't imagine very many people being more opposed to government involvement in our lives than I am. But, if you have a cell phone, if you have a credit card, if you have a mortgage, if you have an email account, they pretty much got you already.

As for Big Brother, I work with the Amber Alert (missing children) team in my area. Did you know that police can ping your cell phone and locate you within 30 feet anytime your phone is on and you have cell service? They have to have a good reason to do it, but I have a beautiful young granddaughter and I sleep better knowing that technoogy exists.

OnStar will be in her car when she starts driving if I have to buy the car and pay for the service myself.
I know what you're saying. However, none of those can disable my vehicle. And the reason I was reluctant to discuss my reasons for disabling Onstar was I knew it would end up with this discussion. No offense to anyone, and I realize the responses are well meaning, but could we stick to the topic of this thread? :cheers: :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
odypilots said:
And the reason I was reluctant to discuss my reasons for disabling Onstar was I knew it would end up with this discussion. No offense to anyone, and I realize the responses are well meaning, but could we stick to the topic of this thread? :cheers: :)
And that's one of the things that makes this country great. Choices. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
danthechevyman said:
You get a free year, why not use it. I ,as many know, am a Chevrolet Salesperson and we push the button because it is part of the delivery process. When I sign my customers up it is because I care about the safety benefits for them. I personally get nothing out of the process, except for one less person complaining to me about not during my job. OnStar is the only service of its kind that will send someone if you are unconscious after an accident when you rely need them. More insurance companies are seeing the benefit of the service and giving discounts. If you have seen the commercial about the stolen Tahoe it is true in the Detroit area a person had his Tahoe stolen and it was recovered very quickly and without personal injury to anyone. I am not a fan of big brother and don't think of it that way, think of it as insurance for the people you care for most.
Very well stated, but sometimes folks don't understand the benefits and attempts to keep their lives safe.

Bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
andylibby said:
GEEZ, if the guy didn't want to speak of his dislike for OnStar ... and certainly made it a point to tell folks that very statement, why try to push for an answer? :banghead:

His question was one of disabling the unit, not sharing his personal issues online.

Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts