Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car in the shop way to many times to count. This past time, I took it in because if you telescope the steering wheel all the way in with any type of force, the horn honks. Come to find out there is a spring behind the airbags. The spring makes contact with the horn with any force. They can not fix it because it would be to tight or loose and the air bag won't deploy correctly. They tried it on new Traverses sitting on the lot, they all do it. The loaner Traverse I was giving does it also. Just a bit of information, if you haven't done it yet, then try it.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
interesting... ill have to try it...
I telescoped mine today-- and no horn... then again I didnt use force.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. Please, try it with some force to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
So was this something found by accident? I mean, do you typically shove the wheel forward with enough force that it honks the horn? I would think that it wouldn't need to be pushed forward that hard in order to work correctly, but then again, I can't think of a time that I actually moved mine in. I've pulled it out for my wife and I, but can't recall pusing it back in.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This does it while using the rim of the steering wheel, or by pushing the center of the wheel? I would never push the center of the wheel to move it, I always use the rim.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
tried mine.. no honking.
You pulling/pushing REALLY hard?
I moved mine in/out --- with what I think is hard-- and no horn

·
Registered
312 Posts
jr - yours and mine have very similar build and delivery dates. I've had very few problems which may mean I'm just lucky. What issues have you had so I can be on watch for them? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use the rim. I found it by accident since I was having trouble with the steering noises and they changed out the whole column. You don't have to use much force at all. I have to go really slow for it not to honk.

Here's a short list of what I've had wrong.

Timing Belt
Molding coming off rear passenger side door
Clicking in Steering
Coolant leak
Front passenger air bag replacement
Ac lines rubbing against heater lines (blame the tech that put the motor in from the timing belt issue)

Current issues:
Rubbing noises (however they won't even look at it since they said it was normal) ::)
Popping in the front end (they said it was a body mount binding up, which did stop some of the popping)
Ac/heater lines
Tons of rattles in the dash from them trying to fix the steering noises (I blame this on the tech, not the car)

I currently have around 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tried this on my 2011 LTZ and I shoved it in hard and no honking. You need to be careful letting a dealer do repairs and then having another issue in the area they worked. I had a 2009 GMC denali that had work on the dash. Had GM deny a claim for work to fix the rattles because they said the dealer did not put it back together correctly. So as you could expect the dealer denied there wrong doing. So in the end I brought it to another dealer and traded it in 6 months later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts