Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while at the dealership I had them flash the transmission with this update identified as P10103 or ID# 2450040. It applies to 2009 Traverse (Acadia, Enclaves and Outlooks). It was released 04/22/10.

·
Registered
139 Posts
copperbeech said:
Today while at the dealership I had them flash the transmission with this update identified as P10103 or ID# 2450040. It applies to 2009 Traverse (Acadia, Enclaves and Outlooks). It was released 04/22/10.
copper, what will this trans flash do for shifting, mpg, etc?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6Sixathome said:
copper, what will this trans flash do for shifting, mpg, etc?
The SA gave the predictable caveat that fuel efficiency will suffer. I was willing to sacrifice that to hopefully get better more appropriate shifting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had that software update applied to my 09 Traverse in early summer - same caveat was given of reduced mileage.

The shift points are much better now - it doesn't hunt for a higher gear all the time causing the high-RPMs. My mileage did go down a little, but overall it behaves much better than before.

·
Registered
407 Posts
DaveD said:
I had that software update applied to my 09 Traverse in early summer - same caveat was given of reduced mileage.

The shift points are much better now - it doesn't hunt for a higher gear all the time causing the high-RPMs. My mileage did go down a little, but overall it behaves much better than before.
I think I know what you mean, but I'm a little confused. You say it doesn't hunt for a higher gear now with the reflash, and so it stays in lower gears longer causing higher RPM's? Am I understanding this right? I would like to hear more comparisons between the non-flashed 09 (what I have now), and the flashed 09. Mileage is somewhat a concern, but not the most important for me. What I don't like is when I want to slow down, when I get my foot almost off the gas completely, it will act almost like I put it in N or put the brake on, then I have to push down again, which causes a downshift and speeds me up more than if I had not done anything. (speaking about when speed zones change, or other traffic is moving slower). Also, when starting up from a stoplight behind traffic, it starts moving forward right after I get off the brake, but if I have to let up on the gas just a little, it dies right down and stops creeping forward, causing me to push on the gas again more, and going too fast behind the car in front of me. I've learned to adjust for this, but just curious if the reflash takes care of these two issues.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've had my transmission flashed but don't know which generation.

The only annoyance I have is pulling into traffic where I've been creeping along at 3 mph and suddenly I need to accelerate up to highway speeds. Too often there's no way to do this in a civilized manner and it drops into a basement gear causing high revs without the accompanying instant increase in forward speed I'm needing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
andylibby said:
I've had my transmission flashed but don't know which generation.
The most recent one is dated April 2010. So if your flash was in May or later it was this one.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
09Enclave said:
Mileage is somewhat a concern, but not the most important for me.
I *just* got this flash late this afternoon so I for sure haven't had time to feel the difference(s) as compared to the OEM transmission software but I would think that if one did mostly HWY miles than you would see less of a hit in terms of gas mileage i.e. at prolonged HWY speed you will quickly move to 6th gear as expected regardless of the software.

But it is at lower speeds that one should notice the difference. I am hoping to get more torque i.e. higher RPM at lower speed so as not to get that...lugging I seem to experience when driving around town.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
When my update was done, the tranny upshifted quicker, but also downshifted quicker ...... by downshifting quicker, it prevented the vehicle from "lugging".

Bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I go to the dealership how do I get them to do this? Where do they get the flash file from?

I'm sure they wont know what I am talking about!

·
Registered
381 Posts
How long did it take to get the update done? Did you wait or leave it their?

My Acadia was at the dealer last week. They looked up the VIN in their GM VIS (Sp?) and saw that there was a tranny flash update available. I was waiting so they hooked it up to their Tech II tool and then "docked" the tool to download the flash. It estimated over 3 hours to download.....I didn't want to wait so I may have it done later.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Gibby said:
When I go to the dealership how do I get them to do this? Where do they get the flash file from?

I'm sure they wont know what I am talking about!
The "file" is in their TSB's .... technical service bulletins. Tell them you need the transmission shift "update" performed due to mushy/sloppy shifts.

Copperbeech stated they wanted to test drive his vehicle to determine the need for update. My dealer simply did the update, as I waited. Each dealer has their own way of dealing with issues, I guess.
Bob

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bobg1951chevy said:
Copperbeech stated they wanted to test drive his vehicle to determine the need for update.
That was the case Bob for the dealership closest to me but the dealership from which I had purchased the Traverse had no problem performing the update with no questions asked.

·
Registered
407 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
When my update was done, the tranny upshifted quicker, but also downshifted quicker ...... by downshifting quicker, it prevented the vehicle from "lugging".

Bob
I wouldn't want it to upshift quicker, it does that too soon already, my opinion. As for the "lugging" I don't have this problem, it's very responsive when I get my foot in it, it does what I want, it's just a little too touchy when I just want a little more gas. Has anyone verified, or heard anything firm about the "fact" that these transmissions "learn" driving behavior when the vehicle is new, or when the reflash has been done? I've heard this, but then seems that I also heard that's not true.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is the Document regarding this reflash.

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on transmission downshift hesitation, delayed shifting or shifting at the wrong time.

Recommendation/Instructions
A revised calibration has been developed to address this concern. Update the transmission control module (TCM) using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest software available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the Service Programming System (SPS) procedures in SI.

When using a Tech 2® or a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.

Important: This calibration change shall be restricted to customers with the described specific concern. Depending on driving habits, fuel economy may be degraded up to 2 MPG using this solution and the customer should be made aware of the possible loss of fuel economy. Be sure to inform the customer of the possible fuel reduction and get their approval before using this calibration.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
09Enclave said:
I wouldn't want it to upshift quicker, it does that too soon already, my opinion. As for the "lugging" I don't have this problem, it's very responsive when I get my foot in it, it does what I want, it's just a little too touchy when I just want a little more gas. Has anyone verified, or heard anything firm about the "fact" that these transmissions "learn" driving behavior when the vehicle is new, or when the reflash has been done? I've heard this, but then seems that I also heard that's not true.
Example; Mine would go into 2nd gear, then hang and hang and hang before shifting into 3rd. Each gear would act much the same in lower speed conditions. This kept RPM's up higher, chewed more gas. Now it shifts quicker through the gears, it is more sensitive to downshifts when I want the downshift. I have "heard" about the transmission learning process, have nothing to document it, though.

Bob

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Ive also read about the trans learning your driving style... all on auto forums- but nothing official.

But it appears to really take place.

This was more evident on my 2003 Trailblazer.
When I would clean the throttle body- Id disconnect the battery for at least 30-40 minutes.
This caused a memory loss of parameters that had been learned by the throttle body to compensate for a dirty thottle body.
Upon reconnecting- and going for a drive....another thing was evident--- the transmission was now shifting different too.
In my case-- the trans stayed longer in every gear. and the rpms went higher before shifting.
After some miles of careful driving (my style).. the trans would soon 'adopt' the gentle early shifts.
It appeared to have learned my early shift points- that come with ligh driving.

Any trans guys on here? that can verify the learning of the trans?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just want to clarify that what this fix is addressing is actually the problem that I have with my 09 Traverse.

The issue I am having has become more noticible in the last month or so. We've had this vehicle for around 5 months now.

I was on the interstate when the last "episode" occured. I noticed that around 75 mph, when slowly trying to accelerate or trying to maintain when starting up an incline there would be a substantial "jerking" of the vehicle. Almost as if it were an engine misfire. This happened repeatedly at this speed. If I mashed on the gas it would gear down and accelerate without the hesitations. When slowed, I noticed it happening at other speed intervals as well. Right before I stopped to get gas, it did it again and the check engine light flashed a few times.

I stopped at the station and filled up with high octane just to rule out a possible bad gas issue or low octane issue (we usually fill up with 87 octane). After filling up with 93 octane, I noticed that the issue seemed to go away. I'm not sure if it was because there was some cooling in the transmission when I stopped to fill up or what. It went away for the remainder or the drive. (an hour or so) Once we got there and drove around town some, the issue was still gone, but then the next day, after some in town driving, I noticed it happening again. Finally when we left to come home, on the interstate, the problem was back and the engine light flashed again.

I'm going to take it to the dealer this week to have it checked out, but was wondering if this update would address the issue i'm having or if this may be some other problem.

Just for your info, my Traverse has 27000 miles on it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
312 Posts
I checked into mine and I had my transmission flashed prior to the April date. Mine still displays an occasional delayed and eventful downshift, but I've gotten used to it. I wouldn't want to give away 2 mpg to maybe solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Josh,

It sounds as if your situation is something other than the trans. update. Hopefully, with the flashing engine light, the tech will be able to find a code stored within the computer and go from there.

Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts