Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my way to work- im heading north at about 35-40 MPH in the right lane.
Up ahead I see an elderly lady- probably about 80 something- step off the curb-
as Im getting closer to her- she begins to cross- I STILL HAVE A GREEN LIGHT!!!!
and I press on the brakes and I end up halfway out of my lane. (no car next to me)...
She continues to slowly walk-
On the southbound lanes--- theres a pack of cars coming- I dont know if they can see the little old lady.
shes still slowly making her way----
So I flash my Highbeams at the oncoming cars.
All I know is that they saw her and they came to a stop-- (some of the vehicles were heavy delivery trucks).
Im glad I didnt witness her getting hit....
I dont think she had any idea.
This caused me to replay the scenario below.
One day on one of my runs-- I was running and I was 1/4 block away from a bus- an elderly lady got off and for some reason she went back to the bus as it was departing- she somehow was thrown to the ground- and ended up getting run over by the bus...
as I approached ----the bus stopped and people were getting to her--- a good samaritan just happened to drive by- he was a paramedic- and took out his gear box- and started to tend to her- (using those special scissors to cut away clothes)- while giving info the the 911 operator-
The bus tires had torn away her skin--- muscles exposed etc.... she passed away. My run home was depressing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is definitely a Yes. You did excellent!
Look how bad it could be even the drivers were not blamed:

(3w).wtop.com/?nid=598&sid=2073545

The last sentence: "Last year at the same time, police reported 10 fatalities involving pedestrians"

·
Registered
551 Posts
who knows if you saved her or not, but you couldn't have done much more :cheers:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes, in such a case there is not a control group wherein no attentive driver such as yourself exists to warn oncoming traffic. Under the circumstances, judging purely from the result, I think it's safe to say you rendered a life-saving service to someone's mother and grand mother.

Well done, lad! :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts