Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had gone to my local Chevy dealer a few weeks back and asked about the Traverse. I might as well have tried to buy a Corvair :). I eventually was told the order date was 7-16.

Today I called & they can order, but still no option prices. I don't care to order in the blind.

Now the news of another strike (reported elsewhere in this forum), this time the company that supplies seats & consoles.

I found the ordering workbook (link in another post of mine) and in this, I find that if you want a blue Traverse, you can't order until the week of October 16 (limited) or October 23 (free flow). This is not a "special" paint like the black (September 18 & 25) or red (November 20 & 27) extra-cost paints. The only colors available as of now are Summit White, Silver Ice Metallic, and Cyber Gray Metallic. This is like the original Model T, you could get any color you wanted so long as it was black. This is basic color stuff, GM- red, green, blue. Everything else comes from these.

This is not the best way to operate a car company in my opinion. It is no wonder their stock is in the basement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OL_Shopper said:
I had gone to my local Chevy dealer a few weeks back and asked about the Traverse. I might as well have tried to buy a Corvair :). I eventually was told the order date was 7-16.

Today I called & they can order, but still no option prices. I don't care to order in the blind.

Now the news of another strike (reported elsewhere in this forum), this time the company that supplies seats & consoles.

I found the ordering workbook (link in another post of mine) and in this, I find that if you want a blue Traverse, you can't order until the week of October 16 (limited) or October 23 (free flow). This is not a "special" paint like the black (September 18 & 25) or red (November 20 & 27) extra-cost paints. The only colors available as of now are Summit White, Silver Ice Metallic, and Cyber Gray Metallic. This is like the original Model T, you could get any color you wanted so long as it was black. This is basic color stuff, GM- red, green, blue. Everything else comes from these.

This is not the best way to operate a car company in my opinion. It is no wonder their stock is in the basement.
Congrats we don't even have the ability to order them yet and the red I want isn't available till Oct and I need the truck by Oct 10th to go on holidays. I am not even that picy all I want is a base model with trailer package and cross rails for the roof rack to hold our roof top cargo box.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sadly, this is pretty much par for the course on any new vehicle just being introduced to the market, I've watched it on each of my forums as each new Lambda has become available. I also watched it on the G35 forums when I was first shopping for my G coupe. Unfortunately for you guys, you got interested in a vehicle right from the beginning. Try not to blame GM too much since it's industry wide. The stupid parts strike notwithstanding...

·
Registered
24 Posts
admin said:
Sadly, this is pretty much par for the course on any new vehicle just being introduced to the market, I've watched it on each of my forums as each new Lambda has become available. I also watched it on the G35 forums when I was first shopping for my G coupe. Unfortunately for you guys, you got interested in a vehicle right from the beginning. Try not to blame GM too much since it's industry wide. The stupid parts strike notwithstanding...
No blame to GM from me I would rather them start taking orders when they have the parts suply for the vehicles running correctly rather than placing an order then being told there are delays etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DSNY FN said:
... all I want is a base model with ...cross rails for the roof rack to hold our roof top cargo box.
Sorry, that is not an option on the LS. You'll have to step up (option steering) to the 1LT or retrofit it onto the LS! The only options for the LS are the actual spare tire and trailer package :(. They may have added remote start like GMC did, I haven't checked the guide lately.

Any wonder why Chevy says only 10% of their Traverse sales will be LS?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made a post on Acadia Forum illustrating the cost to order/equip either an Acadia or Traverse with certain options/equipment. The Traverse is the better deal until you factor in the unobtanium blue paint (same color as the Saturn/GMC?) delay (Mid October).

Here is a the information:
I am looking at either:
1) A 2009 Acadia SLT2 with 8 passenger seats, Nav, trailer tow, convenience, cooled seats, and HUD in Deep Blue/Ebony Leather OR
2) The same year/colors Acadia SLE OR
3) An existing 2008 Acadia SLT1 model OR
4) A 2009 Traverse 1LT

I did not consider the LTZ since you can't get the 8 passenger seats in it. For the 2009 SLE and 2008 models, I would have to retrofit the nav unit and camera (2008 model) or nav unit (2009 SLE). I have purchased a pair of GM DVD headrests in black cloth.

The SLT2 with options has an invoice price of $38,357. I used $100 over invoice for ordered vehicles for this exercise.

(All models are FWD) :
Option 1- order a 2009 SLE
Summary for the SLE-1 Front-wheel Drive MSRP / Invoice
Base Price $30,950 / $28,938
Destination $735 / $735
Colors Deep Blue / Black cloth
Options
QD6 17" Compact Steel Spare Wheel $75 / $62 (we're splurging :), plus you have to get it for trailer tow package)
V92 Trailering Equipment $425 / $353
VBS Advanced 2-Way Remote Vehicle Starter $260 / $216 (have to add regular convenience PDD for this)
PDD Convenience Package $275 / $228
PCM Preferred Package $640 / $531
PCI Visibility Package $695 / $577 (buying it for the camera)
UVA Radio: AM/FM Stereo w/MP3 Compatible CD/DVD Player INC INC
U42 Rear Seat DVD Entertainment System $2,055 / $1,706 (buying this for dual zone AC, improved audio, & easier nav install)

Total Price $36,110 / $33,346

My SLT2 invoice price with nav was $38,357, so this reflects a savings (invoice to invoice) of $5,011. I can install the nav for under $1,500 since I will have a camera, plus I won't need my DVD headrests recovered if we go with cloth seats. With the lockpick installed, I'll have 4 screens for 3 occupants. Maybe we can rent it out as an alternative to Blockbuster :D. My price below figures a sale price of $100 over invoice.

Cost-to-Benefit analysis compared to above-optioned 2009 SLT2:
PRO-
Saving money (about $3,500, see below)
Cloth seats
Seats match the headrest DVD units I have

CON-
Have to install nav unit & figure out how to make use of camera
Loss of other cool/wanted stuff like HUD ($500), memory seats, etc.

Total estimated cost to equip: $34,946.

Option 2- buy a leftover 2008
This will be impossible to do in Deep Blue, since all the blue/black ones in the SE USA are 7 passenger models. The closest thing to what we want is a white SLT1 in Central FL, with an invoice of $35,194. On the downside, it has a sunroof/19" wheels that we don't want. Best case scenario, if we get it for $500 under invoice with the $1750 in incentives we are looking at $32,944 , plus another $1,800+ for the nav/cam setup & $200+ for recovering the headrest DVDs.

PRO-
Saving money (about $3,500, see below)

CON-
Not the desired color
2008 model, lacks improved motor & transmission
Have to install nav unit & camera
Loss of other nice stuff like memory seats, etc.

Total estimated cost to equip: $34,944.

Option 3- 2009 Traverse 1LT
UPDATE- NOT an option anymore thanks to the option gods

Option prices based on Edmunds & Acadia!
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
MSRP / Invoice $30,810 / $28,807
Optional Equipment
U3R Touch Screen Navigation Radio w/CD Player $2,355 / $1,955 (OUCH!!!)
U42 Rear Seat DVD Entertainment System $2,055 / $1,706
VBS Advanced 2-Way Remote Vehicle Starter $260 / $216 (EDIT- NOT an option for the 1LT, have to step up to the 2LT. Forget it, for that much $ I'll buy an Acadia with a HUD :))
PDD Convenience Package $275 / $228
V92 Trailering Package $495 / $411
Destination Charge $735 / $735
Total with Options $34,880 / $34,058

PRO-
Saving money (about $4,300, see below)
Cloth seats
Has nav/camera option from factory, no extra install needed
Can use the DVD headrests I already have
Really only a pro for me, but it would be really cool to have an "LT1" (Edmunds term) since that is the engine code for my Trans Am!

CON-
Cannot get the desired color until October (Traverse only issue)
No HUD or memory seats, etc. (SLT2 goodies)

Total estimated cost to equip: $34,158. ($100 over invoice)

Summary
Cost of 2009 SLT2, no add-ons needed: $38,457
Cost of 2009 SLE, w/ nav added: $34,946 (savings of $3,511)
Cost of 2008 SLT1 w/nav/cam/DVD added: $34,944 (savings of $3,513)
Cost of 2009 Traverse 1LT, no add-ons needed: $34,158 (savings of $4,299)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just downloaded the July 25, 2008 "Print Book" PDF from here.

Thanks to the cruel option gods, the advanced remote start I want for the 1LT is "-", which means it is on the same truck as that pretty blue paint, only that it fell off the truck and won't ever get here.

Looks like this helped me to decide in favor of the Acadia. I'll update the above post.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You're definitely putting a lot of thought into this, that's good. Unless you REALLY find the absolute perfect '08, I'd advise against that option. The change to DI in '09 will make those owners much more happy in the long run, I believe. That extra power greatly increases towing capacity and will most likely play nice with the newest, most aggressive transmission flash for a much better drivetrain experience right from the factory. You'll also get a bit better gas mileage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OL_Shopper said:
Sorry, that is not an option on the LS. You'll have to step up (option steering) to the 1LT or retrofit it onto the LS! The only options for the LS are the actual spare tire and trailer package :(. They may have added remote start like GMC did, I haven't checked the guide lately.

Any wonder why Chevy says only 10% of their Traverse sales will be LS?
LOL could be we actually put in our order today for an LS with trailering and roof rack and crossbars no pricing as of yet though. We also may change colour based on availability come our Oct delivery date we are shooting for red not the grey we put on the build sheet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts