Traverse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these are controversial and in all likelihood don't work, but I have put those cheap deer alert whistles on all my vehicles for some time now and I've never hit a deer(knock on wood.) I live in the PA wilds and we have deer coming out of the wazoo. In any event, I picked up a couple whistles for the Traverse and found the perfect mounting spot. Note that the whistles don't interfere with the folding of the door mirrors. I also threw in a photo of the step tubes I installed. ;D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Nice install. I'm glad that we don't need them around here though. But whenever we drive to Florida, we are always counting the number of dead deer along the side of the highway!

I think that I would want to have a more discrete spot for those whistles, but I have no idea where they'd go. But if they save you from an accident, they are worth it!

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: Nice job almost looks stock. Heck you never know when a deer will pop out better safe than sorry.

8) Steve

·
Registered
551 Posts
They look high tech, like some kind of spy camera or baby missiles! You are like James bond :cheers:

Not sure if those things work or not, but it cant hurt to have them I guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Narg said:
Yeah, I've read that one and I said they are controversial. But, for three bucks(no pun intended) what the heck. As I said, where I live there are as many deer on the roads as there are vehicles. I have seen a lot of dead ones but in 35 years I haven't hit one. Dumb luck? Maybe, but I.m the superstitious type and now I'm afraid to not use them. Now if I go out and hit a deer tonight I'm going to be really pi**ed not to mention embarrassed. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm not going to say those things do or do not work. However, I will say I live in a rural area in western PA and have never used those things and have never hit a deer. I've come close a few times, but I have never hit one. If someone wants to buy them, fine. If someone refuses to buy them, fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
And since the wind going from the front of the vehicle to the back goes in the whistle, and if the sound is weak, there's no way the airwaves would get that sound in front of the vehicles, especially with the noise of the vehicle's engine running, wheels touching the road and the vehicle "breaking" the air.

But if it makes you feel better, why not?!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello! I too live in a deer infested area in Upstate NY. I have found the whistles do work, yet you still have to be cautious and look for the "Eyes" while driving. I installed my whistles on the top of the Traverse at the back end of the roof rails in the channels. You would never know they are there and seem to do the job. My concern with the mounting of the whistles by the mirrors is obviously the whistle noise itself, but sooner or latter when passing through the Car Wash, those swinging mops will tear one off. So as an alternative, try the rail method, it works for us. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
okay, okay, enough about the whistles...i'm digging the tubes! i've seen some diff. ones online for around 180-250...which ones are those? they look great...are more pics possible? How much $$$ ? I know the factory ones are like $550 and not even all that attractive. are yours nice and sturdy? sorry for all the questions, but the websites tend to hype everything...it would be good to hear some honesty. thanks! ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts