Traverse Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've concluded that I don't think that the head lamps are bright enough. I want to replace the bulbs with something else, like Silverstars, or whatever. Does someone have a recommendation? I don't want super blueish looking lights, I don't mind a nice bright white.

I know rbarrios had a post on this a while ago. I am open to all here some comments. By the way, I'm not interested in HID. Just want a simple replacement bulb.

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have good luck with PIAA bulbs , xtreme white plus 4000 Kelvin gives me a bright white light , used them in my 05 Malibu

Don't know if they make them for the traverse .

·
Registered
465 Posts
PIIA makes low beam H11 Intense white 4100K or Xtreme white 4000K

High beam 9005 blub and only in Xtreme white

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Yeah, I like my Silverstars.
I recently changed mine out--- as one burned out.
The bulbs lasted about 14,500 miles.
I always replace Silverstars in pairs.
Took me about 20 min the replace both lamps- knowing what has to be done to get to the rear of the lamps..
THe high beams are also Silverstars--- though I expect those to last a loooonnng time---

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: I would say go wit the Silverstars as well. I have had the in my last 2 Truck's and they worked well

8) Steve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just a word of warning to anyone who think "silverstars" or "HID Conversions" are too rich for their blood and they're considering the cheap "blue lights" from ebay.

DON'T DO IT!

I made that mistake several years ago in my 2002 Trailblazer... bought some of those ebay "hyper-white" bulbs real cheap. Well, the wattage for a rated 9007 or whatever it was was too much for the stock wiring. I luckily found this out the 'easy' way --- one of these new headlights seemingly "burned out" one day, so I popped the hood to see if it was a loose connection. What I found was that the plastic housing of the back of the bulb where the wires were had melted and fused itself to the mating end of the plug in the truck, along with melting the wires and almost causing a fire. :angryfire:

Luckily I learned my lesson on this one, went to the parts store and replaced both lowbeam headlight pigtail wiring harnesses, and put back in the stock bulbs, and all was well again. Never had another problem with stock bulbs and replacement pigtails, for another 40k miles.

So let my misfortune be a lesson, do NOT purchase "cheap" headlights from ebay .... they're cheap for a reason, they may be a fire hazard or mislabeled or not up to the official ISO spec that bulbs are published under for performance and life.

On a different note, Silverstars.
I have had silverstars in the past. They are slightly brighter (overdriven by 5w, which is considered safe to your headlight wiring) and have a special coating on them for appearance.... but for my money, having to replace headlight bulbs every 14-15k miles is a waste of money. Especially since Silverstars retail for a pair for like $25-35 a pair. To each their own.

Just wanted to share my story to protect others from making the same mistakes as I did way back when...

That being said, I'm considering converting our refractor style 2011 headlights to the Projector style headlights which give a focused and more precise beam pattern to the road. That mod, plus stock bulbs, should make a big difference in light quality and output.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I will throw my $0.02 as well. :)

I test drove a 2011 Traverse when we were looking to buy, and it had the regular reflector style headlamps. Light output was okay, but not nearly as good as the Grand Prix that we were intending to replace. Then we drove our 2010 Traverse, with the projectors, and WOW, what a difference. I have never had projector low beams before (only had projector fogs on the GXP ) and I can tell you that just the projector itself is a big step up IMO on light output. If your Traverse doesn't have them, you could always consider the projector style headlamps, although this would definitely be the most expensive headlight replacement option.

Secondly, I had Silverstars on my 2002 Grand Prix, and had to change the darn bulbs every 7,000 - 10,000 miles. Not cool. The factory headlamps on my Silverado have 195,000 miles on them, and they still work great. I think I'lll stick with factory, or HID's.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i would recommend replacing your stock bulbs with the brightest possible replacements...NOT the projectors....check out my thread and issues with horizontal cutoff

·
Registered
202 Posts
staciesbaby said:
i would recommend replacing your stock bulbs with the brightest possible replacements...NOT the projectors....check out my thread and issues with horizontal cutoff
to clarify and merge with what I just posted....

"... with the brightest possible replacements, within 5W (no more than that) of what the factory bulbs are rated for."

That's what I was posting about.

·
Registered
186 Posts
thats cool....my post was geared more toward GXPweasel's opinion

·
Registered
465 Posts
How much are a set of projector headlights for the Traverse , they sound like the solution . :cheers:

Did notice a only got ten months life from one of the PIAA blubs in the Equinox :eek:

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
headlamps with projector...
$371 each MSRP...
$232 each- at gmpartsdirect.

·
Registered
465 Posts
And alot of PIAA headlight blubs too. $68 a set ya about nine sets of blubs. :eyebrow:

·
Registered
202 Posts
rbarrios said:
headlamps with projector...
$371 each MSRP...
$232 each- at gmpartsdirect.
And $100-150 on ebay, if you are daring enough to go that route... :confused:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You could try an automotive recycling yard for the projectors. I'd bet they're no more than $150 a piece, and they come with warranties too.

As far as the cut off goes for the projectors... I actually like that part, really easy to tell what you are lighting up, and what someone else is, or not.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Up here even the LTZ model doesn't have projector head lamps, parts guy said can get the projector version for 285 per lense

I had to believe HID is a better opition , consumes about 15-25 watts , doesn't run as hot as regular halogens and can get a wide range

of colors . Would after market installed HID void the GM warrenty shouldn't. :eyebrow:

G

·
2LT AWD said:
Would after market installed HID void the GM warrenty shouldn't. :eyebrow:
I think you would be at the mercy of the dealer should a problem arise as a direct result of adding aftermarket HID's.

On the other hand; I have heard good things about Xenon Depot (a forum sponsor here)

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I went with the Silverstars. They are the easiest to find, easiest to install, and for $39 a set, you can't beat that. Its pouring rain here tonight. I very quickly swapped out one of the head lamps, in under 10 minutes....it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I just took out the two philips (star) screws, pulled back on the splash guard, and viola, fairly easy access.

I was hoping to do a comparison test, on the road, but since its raining, its hard to judge the difference. In my garage I can notice the difference. The Silverstars are much more white colour, instead of the yellow hue the stock bulbs give off.

I think this will solve my issues with the night time vision.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts