Traverse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last oil change done at 28k changed oil yesterday and it was down a full quart. I have been changing my own oil for 22 years and never had anything like this happen. When I was putting the old oil in the container I saw all kinds of debris in the oil. Looks like high temp gasket material, most of it was orangish looking. Some looked like little metal fragments. Could not find a post on here about this. Anyone else have this issue. Gonna call my local dealership when they open this morning. No visible signs of oil leaks
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Fluid

Liquid Water Ingredient Fluid Cuisine

Fluid Bottle Gesture Liquid Finger

Water Liquid Automotive lighting Hood Amber

·
Registered
2019 Premier FWD
129 Posts
Please note I am not trying to scare you, just passing on an observation.

I've seen some similar pictures from failed engine analysis by GM. The oil filters were sub-par, and came apart and scattered orange rubber/nitrile material in the engines, plugging various oil ports leading to the engine failure.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10053866-5182.pdf

Have you always used high quality oil filters in this vehicle?

-RandyMan

·
Registered
2019 Premier FWD
129 Posts
Was it a Delco oil filter?
I think the bulletin was recommending that ONLY AC Delco filters from a known good supplier are used. There are some counterfeits in the market for these filters.

Another note from the bulletin:
Orange silicone rubber is not used in the assembly of the High Feature V6 as well as most GM engine applications.

That note seems to imply that if you are getting orange silicon material in your oil it is not from the manufacture/build of the engine. It is coming from somewhere else (bad aftermarket filters in the bulletin).

I think the bulletin is for the older Traverse V6s, so maybe they started using it for the newer gen? I doubt it, but possible.

-RandyMan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts