Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our LS Traverse '09 since last January I think. The dealership said it was previously GM executive driven. With all the snow outside the store, I didn't get to do a complete detailed check. My wife was also very excited to have it.

To cut the story short...

I had a detailer check her out to have a job estimate. He noticed that some body panels had a slightly different color compared to the others. In fact, the right front fender appeared to have been repainted because it had a different white and the finish was a bit grainy. Strange enough, the carfax did not mention any accidents. I'm a bit disappointed. Shame on you my dealership for carrying Chevy's name in a bad light...

Unfortunately, I was not able to notice all of this because the vehicle is my wife's daily commuter to work. Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
post your VIN... maybe something shows up on history

G

·
Carfax is only as accurate as what is reported, I bought my 07 Acadia used and I didn't see anything wrong. Well a few months later; my wife was rear ended. When I arrived at the accident; I could see that the rear liftgate had been bondo'd :angryfire: :angryfire:................that wasn't on the Carfax for that vehicle. If a previous owner doesn't report something to insurance etc; it won't make it to any kind of reporting agency.

What color is the Traverse? Unfortunately the only thing that you could do is make a complaint with GM Customer Service or talk to you dealer :-\

You could also post your VIN and someone can run it through GMVIS to see if anything shows. I'm thinking if this vehicle was in an accident and repaired but not reported to you; you might have a legal stand since they sold you the vehicle as new I would assume.

·
Registered
38 Posts
bought my wife a 2010 traverse1lt a month age with 100 miles on it. just last week i was detailing it and found touch up paint on the front bumper :banghead: their solution repaint the bumper until i'm satisfied and trust me, me and the sales manager went round and round. if it is not to my liking will be going to arbitration!!!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You bought the car in January, it is now the middle of July ...... did you just see this damage now? Seems to me the dealer could now point the finger to you, as the source of the damage.

Depending on the state in which you reside, the dealer may or may not be off the hook, if the car was damaged. Dollar amounts, regarding dealers reporting damage to customers, is affected by state laws. Same thing applies to "transportation damage"....... a car could take quite a knock during transportation, and still not need to be reported to the buying customer.

Once again, do NOT list your complete VIN to an open forum, such as this one, not ever. From a VIN, an unscrupulous individual can obtain your vehicle key codes and your address, etc.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I wonder if you have a leg to stand on with your buying contract? I wonder if the verbiage on it states "New" any where on it? I my self wouldn't consider Repaired as New, regardless if its been titled or not. Good luck.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before I thoroughly read all your responses, I bought it used with around 19k mileage. I did not notice the difference in colors of the body panels. I trusted my dealership when they said that it was "GM executive driven".

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
I think if they really want a Traverse- they can walk up to any and copy the vin from the parked car amd go from there-- and write down your license plate and now they can make keys and know where you live.
Unless your traverse is loaded with lots of stuff--- like aftermarket rims and radio and flashy tv's - then maybe they can become interested .... but I think its just easier to find one on the street- than it is to find one on the net.

Its possible it was an executive car- and it was damaged... I mean- they get into accidents too...
Could have been as simple as someone dented it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
littlebadboy said:
Before I thoroughly read all your responses, I bought it used with around 19k mileage. I did not notice the difference in colors of the body panels. I trusted my dealership when they said that it was "GM executive driven".
With 19K on the odometer, it is a used car. I have not seen a demo go beyond 6 to 8K before being turned in. I don't think you have any chance to recover anything, based on your specific scenario.

Bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
I think if they really want a Traverse- they can walk up to any and copy the vin from the parked car amd go from there-- and write down your license plate and now they can make keys and know where you live.
Unless your traverse is loaded with lots of stuff--- like aftermarket rims and radio and flashy tv's - then maybe they can become interested .... but I think its just easier to find one on the street- than it is to find one on the net.

Its possible it was an executive car- and it was damaged... I mean- they get into accidents too...
Could have been as simple as someone dented it.
No matter what you're trying to say here, Roberto, it is NOT a good or safe practice to list VIN's on a sight, such as this.

Roberto, Want to test the system? List your complete VIN and / or address on the sight, let's see if anything happens..

Bob

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
A used car with 19000 miles, either "GM Executive" or not, is still a used car. It really is your responsibility to check for any damages or paint issues before you buy it as a USED car. If the previous owner was GM, it should state as such on your title. What does your title show for previous owners? It might have been a GM leased vehicle, or part of a GM fleet for employee use. The Car Fax should also show when the car was first titled, and if it went through any auctions or resales.

If there was damage to the front fender caused by an accident which was not reported to the police, it may not show on any Car Fax reports. If any damage was repaired without going through an insurance company, it may not show on any Car Fax report. Depending when you ran a Car Fax report, it may not have had time to be noted in the data source. I say Car Fax, but there are also other companies which provide the same type service. Many times one will have information which the other does not have. Have you checked more than one of them?

Sorry to hear of your concerns, but it really sounds like you did not do everything you could have when you bought the car to avoid just such an issue. Sounds like you really didn't even know of anything wrong until just recently when you had a detailer look at the car for other work to be done.

Even if the dealership did the body work before you bought it, there is nothing that says they have to tell you about it since it was a used car, unless it was a rebuilt salvage or totaled vehicle. The dealership may not even have known about any paint repair if they didn't do it themselves.

I don't see how you can blame the dealership at all, or question their integrity at this point.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that I have read your comments, here is what I have to say...

As some of you are saying, the only one to blame is us (me and wife) because we did not thoroughly check the vehicle. However, if we are new buyers and don't know the ins and outs yet of buying a vehicle, are we still to blame? I am a new immigrant here with no experience in vehicle purchasing - new or used. My wife is not much into such too. And, this is the very reason why we chose to buy at a Chevy dealership because we thought that they would be trusted even with used Chevy vehicles.

"It is less than a year old with only 19k mileage on it."

"It would be difficult to find a used Traverse in this condition."

"This was GM executive driven only."

“Together with this very nice vehicle with AWD, you will have xxx miles and xxx years warranty!”

These are very convincing and entrusting words that we new buyers like to hear aren’t they? Well, I think they should have lived up to it. Perhaps they should have been honest about it and showed us the cons of the vehicle.

How come I did not see the slightly different colors of the body panels?
Well, here was the situation… we used to have a Hyundai Santa Fe that we wanted to trade in for a Traverse because our family was growing and its amenities fit our needs. But after visiting a few dealerships (we looked at the Chrysler T&C and Nissan Quest too), we lost hope after learning that aside from having a low trade-in value and problems with the previous financing. When this Chevy dealership called us persistently that they can help, we went just to stop them from calling anymore without expecting a positive outcome. It was late afternoon in winter, hence it was dark. Since I wasn’t expecting that we will be going home with it, I just half-heartedly quick checked the exterior for deep scratches just to get it over with but the interior was good except for a few blemishes. Being a newbie, I still would not have noticed the slightly differently colored body panels anyway. The sales rep took us inside, did some paperwork if we were legible… waited for forever… and to our surprise, he came back with the good news that we can now take home the Traverse!

How I found out of the defect?
Since then up to now, I don’t get to go out and notice every detail of the Traverse because I am in school and working at the same time. It is also my wife’s daily commute to work, so I don’t get to check, see, or drive it often. Since it is summer and winter is just around the corner, I thought of having it detailed at a professional detailer friend of mine. Since he’s very meticulous, he started to run his hands around the vehicle feeling every detail of it and found an area on the front right fender that was a bit grainy than the rest. He stepped back and observed it better at different angles and found out that some body panels had a different color which was evidence that it had some paint jobs… bad quality ones at that.

I have a carfax form the dealer and an autocheck that I had run myself and both says that it did not have any accident reports. So much for carfaxes and autochecks huh?

My point is, I would have appreciated the honesty.

Can I file a complaint with GM? I will not expect anything but I just thought that this should be reported.

By the way, if you guys are in the Chicago area or suburbs and want quality detailing work right at your home by a guy who does unbelievable quality work, let me know if you want his number.

Lastly, we love the Traverse because it totally fits into our lifestyle and serves us well. I just had to rant about our dishonest dealership.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The dealership has a responsibility to you, if the problem is known to them, in the first place. Being an immigrant is no excuse here, you seem to be attempting to take your lack of responsibility in this case and make yor dealer the bad guy. You had the vehicle since January, you looked the vehicle over ( I presume ) when you took delivery of the vehicle ....now, 7 months later a defect is discovered and you want to point the blame on the dealer. That does not work, in my humble opinion. You need to be responsible for your actions or lack of actions.

bob

G

·
bobg1951chevy said:
The dealership has a responsibility to you, if the problem is known to them, in the first place. Being an immigrant is no excuse here, you seem to be attempting to take your lack of responsibility in this case and make yor dealer the bad guy. You had the vehicle since January, you looked the vehicle over ( I presume ) when you took delivery of the vehicle ....now, 7 months later a defect is discovered and you want to point the blame on the dealer. That does not work, in my humble opinion. You need to be responsible for your actions or lack of actions.

bob
They trusted their dealer and if the dealer knew of the existing problem then the dealer should have said something period.

Not everyone is "car savy". If the repair was even average at best; some people might not even notice.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
No matter what you're trying to say here, Roberto, it is NOT a good or safe practice to list VIN's on a sight, such as this.

Roberto, Want to test the system? List your complete VIN and / or address on the sight, let's see if anything happens..

Bob
Actually my vin is posted on another GM related site.
As are hundreds more- people go to the site- and people there- gladly run the vins.

link here..

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f73/gmi-vin-build-sheet-thread-74113/

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bobg1951chevy said:

bob
C'mon Bob... I'm not using "being an immigrant" as an excuse. I mentioned it just to emphasize that I am not yet acquainted to how things are when buying a used car here in the US and thought of going to a Chevy dealership to be safe. AA/78U mentioned that I am not "car savy" which I think is the correct description. Is not being “car savy” considered as having a lack of responsibility?

Whether it was recent, 7 months later, or more… the fact is that they gave us a unit that had body issues. In my opinion, this dealership was being dishonest and we just found the issues now through the help of a professional. Having body panels with slightly different colors compared to the others only means that the vehicle had body damage that was repaired… with poor quality. Unfortunately, for some reason, it did not show in the carfax and autocheck. I am sure they would have noticed it being the better guys in this trade, with all the manpower, and information. They said it was “GM Executive driven” so I am sure they know the real history. If we were informed about it, we could have at least give it a thought, perhaps bargained, or waited for a few more time until we get a good one with no history.

I’m sorry but I cannot accept your post that I lacked the responsibility in this case and make my dealer the bad guy because I think I’m not the bad guy either. I was expecting more from them as a Chevy dealer. And what I was expecting was pretty much simple, to be honest. After all, I’m the one who paid $xx,xxx for this. Like I mentioned, I am not very much “Car Savy” and that is why we chose to go to a Chevy dealership. I repeat, i s not being “car savy” considered as having a lack of responsibility?

Again, I’m not ranting about the Traverse. I am just ranting about our dealership.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Again, I’m not ranting about the Traverse. I am just ranting about our dealership.

OK, have you contacted the dealership and expressed your concerns to them? You might be pleasantly surprised, or you may be even madder, but I would at least let them know about it. You never know.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bottom line is this ..... if you are not a 'car savy" individual, well, that covers many individuals out there.

However, not being from this country and uncertain of procedures, etc, it would have been to your advantage to take someone with you to the dealership, when the transaction was to take place. Being that a sizeable amount of money was to be spent or loaned to you, it would have been in your best interest to have someone with you who understood transactions.

Remember, you brought up this immigrant issue ...... I have heard all the excuses before as to why one was 'bilked" one way or another from being a minority to being an illegal alien, etc ... am tired of hearing all the B.S. when things don't work out right for the ones who feel they are at a disadvantage in our country. The door swings both ways .... use it.

Never once have I heard one individual, such as yourself, admit you should have done your homework by displaying a more responsible attitude, when something has not worked out.

You can't go through life, blaming others for your poor judgements or misfortunes., even if you are an immigrant.

My grandparents were immigrants, they did just fine .... but they always accepted their reponsibilities, as well.

End of story.

Bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
Actually my vin is posted on another GM related site.
As are hundreds more- people go to the site- and people there- gladly run the vins.

link here..

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f73/gmi-vin-build-sheet-thread-74113/
I was asking you to post your correct VIN on this site, then let's see how much I may discover .....about your Traverse and you, then post back to you and the members here.

Point of all this is ...... we had a situation in Cleveland, Ohio .... an individual working WITHIN a dealer ship got VIN numbers offline. NOTE: he did NOT obtain numbers from his dealership, where he was employed..... too close for his own safety and comfort. After obtaining addresses, key codes, etc., the car was lifted, a part of a large theft ring in Ohio, a few years back.

Thus my warning about VIN numbers online. I would NEVER post a VIN on here, way too vulnerable a situation.

Bob

1 - 20 of 44 Posts