Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my oil change done at the dealership where I bought the car. It was back in November and at the time I complained because they didn't reset my oil lift monitor and they left a pair of pliers in the car. They told me that my next oil change would be free, so I was fine with that.

So today I pop my trunk to fill my washer fluid. There is no oil cap, just a dirty rag jammed in the hole. I have been driving around with that for almost three months. I am going to the dealership tomorrow morning, but could there be any damage caused by driving around like that? I just want to make sure I get them to check anything that would need to be done.

I bought the traverse LT travelers edition back in April, and this was my third oil change. I thought that by going to the dealer, I would be getting the best service.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Not sure don't think there could be much but ill tell ya what id be extremely pissed.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Okay, I have to ask...you didn't check your oil for three months? I pop the hood and check mine before I start the engine and drive away from where I get the oil changed (to make sure there's oil in it) and then check it once a week.

·
Registered
994 Posts
sineadh said:
There is no oil cap, just a dirty rag jammed in the hole. I have been driving around with that for almost three months.

I thought that by going to the dealer, I would be getting the best service.
Another dealer horror story. I would say that you are more likely to get the simple job of an oil change done right at a quikky lube than the dealership.

Did you check the oil level after you discovered the rag?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't check my oil level ... It is not something that entered my head to do, brand new car, regular oil changes, oil life monitor with onstar notification.

Not something I thought I would need to check on a regular basis.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You guys are scaring me...
I get my first oil change in a couple of days at my dealer. I have no experience with these people, other than a parts guy that no longer works there :-(
I think I'll put a rag in the back so I can check to make sure the oil level is right before I drive off the lot! I've never had any problems with this before, but it sounds like Mr. Goodwrench has left the building!
My dealer (at least the people I've come in contact so far) seem to be really interested in getting a "Completely Satisfied" rating from their customers.
I used to get a survey form in the mail from Cadillac every time I took the car in for any service. Prior to that car ('03 CTS) I'd always driven Chevy Pickups, so I wasn't familiar with this process. Is this something that all GM dealers are doing now?

·
Registered
994 Posts
sineadh said:
I didn't check my oil level
Well check it now i.e. before you go to the dealership. If the level is fine then likely no damage has been done in the previous 3 months. I guess my concern is that as the rag became heavy with hot and then cold oil, it, or parts of it, might have been ingested into the sump :eek:hno:.

If I were you I would take a picture of this situation.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Another Dealer Horror Story

My parents have only bought one "new" car in their entire married life (not counting the Pinto my dad bought just before they got married), a Dodge Mini-Ram (the very first "mini" van). My mom dutifully took it in for a required oil change after a few hundred miles (I guess they had a lot of debris as a matter of course?) and the dealer forgot to replace the oil DRAIN cap! She got a engine overheat warning shortly thereafter and assumed that it must be a mistake since it was a brand new car. Totally fried the engine with less than 600 miles on it! Long story short, after a LOT of ranting and raving by my dad, they refused to replace the engine (or the car) and rebuilt it instead. For the next 10 years, my parents suffered through driving a minivan that averaged 8 mpg (with a lot of highway driving in the mix).

Moral of the story: don't take anything for granted and NEVER assume your dealer will do a better job than anyone else. With few exceptions (in my experience), dealers are the LAST people I want to deal with for repairs. I'll only go to a dealer if a) it's required or b) that's the only place that will honor my warranty. Otherwise, a good local mechanic is probably smarter and will sure as heck be a lot cheaper (assuming you have one you trust).

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
sineadh said:
I didn't check my oil level ... It is not something that entered my head to do, brand new car, regular oil changes, oil life monitor with onstar notification.

OHHH you WANT to check your oil level.
theres 2 cases on the forums. 1- young lady didnt check her oil level in 12,000 miles.... well she took it in when it was knocking. Oil barely came out- it was sludged up. guess her engine was using oil... GM refused warranty.. because she didnt check the oil level like the manual stated.

2nd case- someone on here is monitoring their oil level... he makes it a habit of checking his level. his is new too... but hes detected some oil usage.
the dealer is making notes of it....

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
jamesmyboy said:
but it sounds like Mr. Goodwrench has left the building!
actually he has.... they are phasing out the Mr Goodwrench use.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
by the way.. I checked my oil level last week....
today I checked my air filter... and checked oil level again...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't trust dealer service at all where I got my Traverse.

I had to get a seat cushion (cover) replaced, and they forgot to hook up the passenger seat belt. Annoying... easy fix, but if I was someone who had no idea what to do (or have the right bit), it would have taken a trip back to the dealer.

I got my first maintenance (free), and they didn't reset the oil monitor or (as I found out this weekend putting some air in the tires) update the computer after rotating the tires.

Unless it's a warranty issue or a recall, I'm never taking it back there again. They are just sloppy and seem to rush through things, but they sure take the time to beg you for a great rating when you get the survey.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm going to find out how my dealership is this week... I get my first oil change free, so depending on how they do (and what my impression of them is), they may or may not ever see my Traverse again - other than warranty work.
Before moving to the Phoenix area, I lived in a small Nebraska town for 30 years. All the guys at the dealership were neighbors, or the sons/daughters of people we knew. That made a big difference in the service we got. Now that we're by a big city, it's really hard to find anyone to trust. I hate the trial and error method when it comes to vehicle maintenance!

·
Registered
718 Posts
sineadh said:

OLM doesn't notify you if oil is low, Onstar notification doesn't notify you oil is low. Oil light (low oil pressure) will be your "notification" that oil is low and by that time it may have done some damage. I check the oil on my vehicles weekly at a minimum, our brand new Traverse has used a half quart in 4000 miles since I changed it last so new vehicles can use oil too.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
All of these stories are EXACTLY why I took the time to learn as much about auto maintenance as I could for myself, and also taugh my wife what to look for. I trust people about as far as I can throw them when it comes to normal vechicle maintenance, and if one takes a little bit of time to go over the instructions / procedures for oil changes etc. then they can be done really easilly.

·
Registered
718 Posts
GXPWeasel said:
All of these stories are EXACTLY why I took the time to learn as much about auto maintenance as I could for myself, and also taugh my wife what to look for. I trust people about as far as I can throw them when it comes to normal vechicle maintenance, and if one takes a little bit of time to go over the instructions / procedures for oil changes etc. then they can be done really easilly.
My reasoning as well.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
didnt I read somewhere- that these engines- DO NOT have oil LEVEL sensors.
I think thats one of the reasons I check my oil level often.
(or maybe it was oil pressure)--- im pretty sure I read oil level.

can anyone confirm/deny?

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
thats the issue... many people are used to the oil light flashing or something..
I know my sisters lucerne has an oil LEVEL sensor- as its told her once before... low oil level

But not the traverse....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts