Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer installed a factory hitch on my 2011 Traverse. I know I can't haul more than 2000 pounds. I'm may use it for a bike rack or to haul a scooter. When I picked up my Traverse I found a small plastic panel that they had removed from the bottom (middle) of the rear bumper to install the hitch. This panel does not fit in place with the hitch. My question is, does Chevy make another panel that will fit and cover the hitch receiver when it is not being used? My salesman assured me the hitch would look factory installed and I'm wondering if they shortchanged me on a panel that hides the hitch. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Re: Dealer installed hitch

The factory installed hitch gets hidden behind the cover. Is the after market one bigger and doesn't get hidden? That's kinda odd...

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
My guess would be there are two kinds of covers... one to cover the area when no hitch is installed and one to cover a hitch. So I would think you need a new cover... this is just a guess so it may not help. I can take a picture of my hitch cover when it is light outside so you can compare with yours.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
No the cover is the same. Your dealer has installed an aftermarket hitch. The aftermarket hitches tend to stick out to far to use the cover.

I'm not even sure you can buy the OEM hitch that comes from the factory. I think aftermarket hitches are the only thing you can get.

So far I have only heard of one type of aftermarket hitch that sits in enough to keep using the cover but I can't remember the name of it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is only one panel, unless they changed something for the 2011s.

I would agree that they installed an inappropriate hitch. I did a lot of searching for an aftermarket hitch for my 09 Traverse and found that Curt was about the only aftermarket one that fits behind the panel.

It is possible to get the OEM hitch from a dealer. I had it quoted at one point in my search. The part number the dealer gave me was 20781543

To see pics, here is mine (an aftermarket Curt hitch) installed. There are pics with the panel in place and one from directly underneith so you can see how far it sticks out compared to yours.
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1148.msg10149#msg10149

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
yes- sure sounds like you got an aftermarket hitch.
If it was factory- that cover would close no problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks like you have your answer... glad someone else had pics already, as it was too rainy for me to take any today.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
this is what the factory hitch looks like from the bottom (2010).
note that the hitch has the tab that allows the electrical cable to be mounted.
note where the hitch receiver ends (square opening)- and where the bumper edge begins- thus allowing the cover to close

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I got an aftermarket hitch. There is a sticker on it that lists the towing capacity, but it doesn't have the name of the hitch manufacturer. I'll have to whine and complain to the salesman the next time I see him, maybe I can get him to throw in some free oil changes or something since I only agreed to let them add the hitch if it looked "factory".

·
Registered
202 Posts
MrScience2008 said:
Yeah, I got an aftermarket hitch. There is a sticker on it that lists the towing capacity, but it doesn't have the name of the hitch manufacturer. I'll have to whine and complain to the salesman the next time I see him, maybe I can get him to throw in some free oil changes or something since I only agreed to let them add the hitch if it looked "factory".
??

What about the hitch doesn't look factory? Does it function as a hitch? I would think that the dealer did what you asked him to do considering the circumstances you described. If the filler panel doesn't fit, that's okay, many have said that those cheap flimsy plastic "screwtabs" don't last that long anyways, so you have saved yourself the hassle of complaining when those little tabs break off and your filler panel doesn't stay on for that reason.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh, but you wanted a hitch. That's what you got.

Trailblazers (2002-2008) had "exposed" hitch parts under the bumper. At least you can tow something up to 2k pounds now... whereas before you couldn't.

I would focus on the more important things... :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
IMHO I think the panel fitting is part of the factory look. I would just go back to the dealer and have them put on an OEM one or a Curt. They wouldn't be out anything but the labor so I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to them.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I agree that a factory style / type hitch, would include the ability for it to be completely hidden. Now, I doubt that the dealership is going to exchange the one they put on your Traverse, for another one that will be hidden, without throwing quite a fit. They will be out the hitch price they paid, as they won't be able to return it. Maybe they would be willing to do so though, as they may have one come in some day used, and choose to add your current hitch to it. ???

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
there was someone here or the acadia forum- same thing happened..
they complained-- and the dealer agreed to swap for another one that allowed the cover to fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got underneath my Traverse and found "U Haul" stamped on the electrical connector. Called my salesman this morning. He told me the service manager said they couldn't get a factory hitch, they were unavailable. My salesman usually sells Nissans, was helping out in the Chevy department when I came in, didn't know that the panel would fit over the factory hitch. I told him about the Curt hitch. Service manager was not at work today, my salesman will talk to him on Monday. If they paid U Haul to put on the hitch, I can see that they may be reluctant to change it. If I start using the hitch (bike rack or cargo carrier) I can see where taking the panel off and putting it back on would be a pain, I would probably just leave it off. I'm going to try to get the service manager to give me some free oil changes, tire rotations, whatever. If he changes the hitch, that's ok too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts