Traverse Forum banner

Should owners leave the dealers decals /Names on after purchase

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we all pay a decent amount for our vehicles. Do you think we should remove the dealers names that state where you purchased it and the dealers names. Or should we leave them on. What would be the benifit for the customer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd rather not have it. Some are obnoxious. But if they are subdued, it is not a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When I bought my Traverse, there were some very nice looking "diamond" shaped letters on the tailgate for my dealership where I purchased. I considered leaving them there. But I took the Traverse back 2 weeks later to have them detail clean it, which didn't happen the day I bought so they offered to do it later. After getting it back, the nice diamond letters were replaced with the boring old vinyl black lettering. Needless to say, those letters were peeled off very quickly.

As long as the lettering is vinyl, and can be removed easily I don't mind if the dealership just must put them there. I can take them off easily enough with my fingernail.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the ONLY vehicle I have ever left the dealer plaques on was our Nissan Versa which we won.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
ive noticed that states out of california--- dealers put on their names on little plaques--- I can always tell an out of state car because of this...
In california--- dealers dont do this..
instead they use license plate frames with their names...
I take mine off and put on the ones I have....
I think carmax is the only one to use small vinly letters around here..

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
ive noticed that states out of california--- dealers put on their names on little plaques--- I can always tell an out of state car because of this...
In california--- dealers dont do this..
instead they use license plate frames with their names...
I take mine off and put on the ones I have....
I think carmax is the only one to use small vinly letters around here..
In some states, such as Ohio and GA, it is against the law to have a license plate frame on the plate which may cover any "impotant" license plate information, such as county name, plate expiration date, etc.

Bob

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
hmmm, interesting info...
no wonder they use those little plaques....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some cars I've left the nameplates on, others I've had removed at delivery. Dealer plate frames usually go right in the garbage when I get home.

However, I have noticed that it sometimes affects service.
If you always visit the dealer where you bought, you probably won't notice a difference.
But take it to a another dealer with a different dealers nameplate and you may find a different level of service. Some will go farther to please you, so that they take the service business away from another dealer. Some don't do anything extra for you since you didn't buy the car there.
A few years ago, one dealership said to me: "Our loaner vehicles are reserved first for customers who buy their car from us. If we have any loaners left, we'll let you use one." They used plate frames.

YMMV

·
Registered
407 Posts
I know that collectable cars shown on the TV car auctions that have the original dealer stickers on, are thought of as more valuable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think if they waive the delivery fee for a vehicle already on the lot, then I'll leave their name on the vehicle, but if I have to pay the $500 delivery fee, then I take it off....

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
My dealer uses the license plate frame to advertise. Front and back. Needless to say, I took them off in the dealership parking lot and handed them back to the dealer. I told them to reuse them, as I would end up throwing them out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Depends how obnoxious the plate frames are.... I told dealer I would not take delivery of the car if it had a decal on the back - they annoy me....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I asked my dealer not to put their usual sticker and first thing I know the sticker was there.

So first thing I did when I got home was to take it off. If you do it right away it peels off easily, just don't wait for the sun to "cure" the glue because you're gonna have to remove 100 tiny pieces instead of 1 or 2 big pieces!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The last place I bought both of my cars does not do dealer advertising on the vehicles. I bought two vehicles in the past 5 years from this dealer.

I hate the look that it leaves on the car because some of the decals are just ugly.

Before I bought from my current car dealer, I had started with another "well respected" dealer nearer to my house. I found a car that I liked, but it was in transit to the dealer and was not on the lot yet. I told them I would take it, but that I did not want the dealer name on the vehicle. They said that was not a problem. When I got a call from them that the car was in, I came over to sign for it and it had the dealer name on it. I asked them to remove it and they said it would cost another $200 to remove it. I let the manager and owner know exactly what I thought while I was still in the store, then I walked out.

I have sent them post cards of all the new cars I have bought since then.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
rwkillia said:
When I got a call from them that the car was in, I came over to sign for it and it had the dealer name on it. I asked them to remove it and they said it would cost another $200 to remove it. I let the manager and owner know exactly what I thought while I was still in the store, then I walked out.

I have sent them post cards of all the new cars I have bought since then.
:happy: :happy:
Serves them right. What idiots to think they could charge someone an extra $200 for removing a stupid sticker/badge. :eek:hno: :sosad:

Then again, I may have just purchased the car anyway, and taken the badge off myself, since it only takes a minute to do so.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts