Traverse Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Chevy Traverse is in a carport. The battery is dead. I figured out thanks to YouTube — not the car manual — how to get the key out that was locked in the ignition, but I can’t put the car in neutral to push it back so it can get a jump. This model does not have a shift lock override. Other models seem to have a tiny lever you can press with the key by popping off the plastic etc. around the shift, but not this one. I have to tear the whole consul apart. Thoughts? Seems to be a safety issue on a safety issue. Good thing it’s not an emergency.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
2 options to try:

1. Easiest Get 2 or 3 jumper cables and run them from your starter car to your Traverse; make sure the + and - can't short to themselves.

2. Cheapest: Remove the battery from the starter car, put it next to the Traverse, attach jumper cables.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So there is no work around in the car override the shift lock? solutions are good to know, yet the starter car did not have a set of cables and they had to get to work so couldn’t take out their battery. I had to call State Farm to bring out a portable battery.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
Not a safety issue if a vehicle is parked. More of a big pain in the butt if front end is not accessible.
In today's vehicles batteries have become a 4-5 yr maintenance / replacement item with all the electrically powered features we want and what's mandated.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
the quick was tow truck drivers do---
pop the hood- by the transmission, where the rod from shifter interacts with trans- theres is a screw/ or twist thigy- that you can remove- it woul allow you to move the shift 'rod' to allow you to put it on neutral.

Though it would prob be hard if the car is up against the wall.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
cant find my picture of the part..
but heres a video of the cable connection point and the metal rod from trans.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
Battery is not in the engine...floor of second row.
I did not know that, my '20 is under the hood, I stand corrected.
Jump box or tow trucks extended plug into the front of wrecker jumpers will work just fine then.
I towed back in the '70's, no access then it's winch time.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
went out and took a new picture.
It would be the yellowish twist tab looking part right by the 40583.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Keep a jumper pack in the trunk just in case the battery goes dead. I have the GB70 Noco and i cannot live without it. You can go several months without topping up the pack and this thing really start the engine when you need it. Just place the 2 clamps on the posts inside the hood and voila. This thing can get you in business at any time and there is no fear to have a car that dont want to start even if you are in the booney out of the civilisation. A must to have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2015 Chevy Traverse is in a carport. The battery is dead. I figured out thanks to YouTube — not the car manual — how to get the key out that was locked in the ignition, but I can’t put the car in neutral to push it back so it can get a jump. This model does not have a shift lock override. Other models seem to have a tiny lever you can press with the key by popping off the plastic etc. around the shift, but not this one. I have to tear the whole consul apart. Thoughts? Seems to be a safety issue on a safety issue. Good thing it’s not an emergency.
Mine did the same thing. I simply removed the positive battery cable, left it off for about five minutes to reset the computer and then reattached it. Viola!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also see it as a safely issue and here is why. Here in Nashville in bumper to bumper traffic if your battery dies you are stuck in the middle of a Tornado. I have seen a car stranded in the middle lane with cars going past at 60 mph. I know you can't push it out of the way if in a middle lane, but in an outside lane you could at least get it off the road. Poor design considering all the cars I have had to push just a few feet over the years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the quick was tow truck drivers do---
pop the hood- by the transmission, where the rod from shifter interacts with trans- theres is a screw/ or twist thigy- that you can remove- it woul allow you to move the shift 'rod' to allow you to put it on neutral.

Though it would prob be hard if the car is up against the wall.
Hey so my tow truck driver did this to my vehicle and now that I’m home the shifter is in park but the car says it’s in N so I’m assuming he didn’t put it back how it was supposed to be so I was wondering if you might know how to fix that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.