Traverse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2LT '15 Traverse with ambient lighting, only the two semi silver trim strips glow blue at night when the option is turned on, the silver trim strip around the A/C vent in the center of the dash does not. Shop manual electrical schematic shows three LEDs for this circuit, left, right and center. Can't get a straight answer on this from Chevy or brochures on whether the center trim strip is also supposed to light up with the ambient light option and mine is broken, or if center refers to the LED in the overhead console. None are in local showrooms for reference.

Update - Found one....seems the third LED is the one in the overhead console that lights the lower console area.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2016 LT-2 has the same ambient lighting pattern. The two curved end dash sections light up, but the center does not. Like you, I was wondering if mine was defective, but I guess not.
Just curious, where is the upper center console LED light you refer too? I have the dual moon roof option in mine, and the only light in the console, besides the map/reading lights, is the back light for the moon roof switch.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil12 said:
My 2016 LT-2 has the same ambient lighting pattern. The two curved end dash sections light up, but the center does not. Like you, I was wondering if mine was defective, but I guess not.
Just curious, where is the upper center console LED light you refer too? I have the dual moon roof option in mine, and the only light in the console, besides the map/reading lights, is the back light for the moon roof switch.
There is a small square 1/8" hole located in the center midway between the 2 map light buttons and the 3 homelink buttons......the LED is recessed and not visible from the side when lit.....projects downward onto the console and visible when looking straight up at it or shining on the console cup holders at night. GM can't seem to come up with a uniform lighting system between model lines.......surprised that only the dual moonroof buttons are lit......Homelink buttons in the Avalanche are also lighted. Worse the gear selection is shown only in the driver display, all letters remain white on the console....the Malibu also shows it in the driver display, but the light for the selected gear on the console changes from white to red when the gear is selected.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Thomcat. I'll have to check that location on my console. If the hole is there, I'm sure the LED in my 2 month old car is shot, as I get no illumination on the cup holders area at night. I wish they had left the ambient light rings around the cup holder edges that were present a few model years ago. They used to have back lighting on the HomeLink buttons as well.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Phil12 said:
Found the center LED, and it works. It sure doesn't throw much light, and doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Maybe it you are driving on a moonless night in the country...
the light is dimmable with the dash lights.

But thats exactly where the light 'shines' its best.
In places where there arent many streetlights.
Gives a gentle glow that is great.... No need to turn on map lights when driving on some of those long dark highways.
I give it a big thumbs up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a small square 1/8" hole located in the center midway between the 2 map light buttons and the 3 homelink buttons......the LED is recessed and not visible from the side when lit.....projects downward onto the console and visible when looking straight up at it or shining on the console cup holders at night. GM can't seem to come up with a uniform lighting system between model lines.......surprised that only the dual moonroof buttons are lit......Homelink buttons in the Avalanche are also lighted. Worse the gear selection is shown only in the driver display, all letters remain white on the console....the Malibu also shows it in the driver display, but the light for the selected gear on the console changes from white to red when the gear is selected.
I just purchased a used 2017 Traverse and on the dash the ambient lighting only lights on the drivers side. Is it just a light bulb that needs to be replaced on the passenger side? Is this something I can do myself? I'll probably never find my way back to this website, but it would be helpful if you could email me. Cheryl

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2020 Traverse RS and I had blue ambient lighting on the silver going across the dash and I’d swear I had a light in my glove box. Got my windshield replaced and now those lights don’t work. I went back to Chevy service to get it fixed. They’re trying to tell me those lights never existed. I know for a fact that I had blue ambient lighting. I’m so mad. I can’t find anything online about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 2020 Traverse RS and I had blue ambient lighting on the silver going across the dash and I’d swear I had a light in my glove box. Got my windshield replaced and now those lights don’t work. I went back to Chevy service to get it fixed. They’re trying to tell me those lights never existed. I know for a fact that I had blue ambient lighting. I’m so mad. I can’t find anything online about it.
I think your dealer is correct. I had a 2015 that had ambient lighting that operated off a separate button that was under the headlight switch as someone else has posted. I now have 2020 premier that does not have ambient lighting nor a light in the glove box. And looking at the Chevy site it is not an option you can order on the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you ever get this figured out? I bought my wife a brand new 2020 last year and was surprised at the lack of interior ambient lighting that it has compared to previous models as well as competitors on the market. I would imagine that like many other types of vehicles, the potential to use parts from a higher level of the same make would work. Do you or anybody else know if this is True and I have tried this?
When you get an a Ford explore or something else which is a very nice vehicle, you’ve got ambient lighting everywhere. I’m sure you’re more than aware, you’ve got it from the foot to the armrest to the cupholders, you name it it’s there and with the traverse it’s one sorry light above the cupholders lol
On a side note/question, do you happen to know how to get past the factory amplifier which is what I’m assuming it is up underneath the passenger foot well? I know there is what appears to be an amplifier up underneath there that has I believe three different color plugs that go into it. There is a company online that sells a harness that will plug into that unit based off of whatever color plugs you have Will determine what harness they send you. I just wasn’t sure if somebody else was able to figure out a more simplistic/cheaper way of doing this or what the corresponding plug type is so that you could just order that plug online then print it out accordingly. Sorry I know that was a bunch, I appreciate any help and again definitely curious with your situation with the lights working then getting a new windshield and I’m not working. Sounds like somebody messed with something and of course it’s easier and cheaper for the dealership just to deny or play stupid, sometimes I don’t think they’re playing lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think your dealer is correct. I had a 2015 that had ambient lighting that operated off a separate button that was under the headlight switch as someone else has posted. I now have 2020 premier that does not have ambient lighting nor a light in the glove box. And looking at the Chevy site it is not an option you can order on the car.
I wonder by chance if this is an option and or parts that can be utilized off of a previous model on a newer model like so many different car brands can do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts