Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dan I have posted once on this forum about the low pitch noise that I am having with my 09 traverse 1 LT. This noise starts the second you start moving and gets worse. At highway speeds I have to turn the radio up 2/3's of the way to drown it out. It is hard to describe but I am positive it is not tire noise. I first thought it was wind moving across a loose plastic panel but now I am not so sure it isn't drive train related. Has there been any problems with the cv joints or wheel bearings? I am taking the vehicle back to the dealer tomorrow for some minor paint anomolies and I will visit more with them on this problem. Any info or suggestions you may have would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have not heard of any probelms like this. The only question I have is do you have the cross bars on the roof as they will make a noise if installed in reverse other than that I have not heard anything sorry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I Don't know if this applies but I had a vibration in my LTZ with Bridgestones on it. The dealer checked the balance of the tires and rebalanced one wheel. I still had a problem so I went to an independent tire store, with the computerized laser state of the art tire balancing machine they found one wheel was good and the other three were out of balance. Maybe the wheel and tire suppliers or whoever had a problem with the balancing. Still have a vibration between 65 and 70 mph. but it's less pronounced now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I noticed a very slight rumble on mine with the 55-60 mph range. I ran the passenger rear tire over a curb and it went away. I have GoodYear tires on mine. I don't know if it makes a difference. I like Michelin, but I will give GoodYear another try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know the traverse spent the last 4 days at the dealership. They did some minor touchup and then worked on some wind noise coming from the passenger side A pillar, which they seemed to have helped but did not cure completely. My rumbling noise is still there and they say that all of the Traverse's do this. They say they drove 2 others with the same noise. I cannot believe that if all of them do it there are not more forums members complaining. I understand cars are not completely quiet but this car has something going on that in my opinion should not be there. If any of you get the time and your traverse has the extra insulation option would you take the time to look at your frame rails from front to back and look for foam insulation coming out of the holes of the frame and let me know if it appears to be the length of the frame or just in certain areas. Mine is not consistent and appears to be in just certain areas.

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got under mine the first day I had it. I have the foam insulation but only in certain areas. It seams to come from the inside of the car. Like they did it from the interior. But I know I only had the foam insulation in spots not on the length of the frame rails. I would look now but I had the car undercoated a week after I got it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply. Did you notice any difference in the interior of your Traverse as far as noise after you did the undercoating?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Maybe a little less road noise. I guess I would have to drive them side by side to see. I know the manual says no undercoating is needed but here in upstate NY cars are rusting after 4 or 5 yrs.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
anyone have pictures of this Foam?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I realize one post noted "state of the art laser balance..."

I believe that a "Road Force Balance" http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm

is the definitive tool to dianose and eliminate tire / road vibration.

There is a lot on the Web regarding the subject.

Good luck, :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2009 front wheel drive has the same loud noise that you are speaking of. My mechanic said it is the wheel bearings. Going to take it back to Chev. dealer hope I don't have to pay cause I don't have the money for this. Just got 4 new tires and wheel balancing so I know it cant be that.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've had front wheel hubs/bearings go bad before. In my experience, a bad wheel hub/bearing assembly will sound like a crop duster taxiing on the ground. Frequency of the sound will increase with speed of the vehicle, but not always increase in volume as speed increases.

Best of luck getting your issue sorted out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it is a growling like noise that speeds up and slows down as the vehicle speeds up and slows down then it is most likley a wheel bearing. My wifes old torrent used to do that whenever one went bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts