Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas on after market cross bars? The OEM ones just seem too high.
If not aftermarket.... how easy it it to take the OEM ones on and off for storage when not in use ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
They come with a star key. Two fasteners per side on per cross bar. I took my off as soon as I got home from the dealer. Took 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They come with a star key. Two fasteners per side on per cross bar. I took my off as soon as I got home from the dealer. Took 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks bud.... you took them off because you also agree that they are just huge?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Thanks bud.... you took them off because you also agree that they are just huge?
No likely because they can be removed or installed in a few minutes. You use 'em when you need 'em.

OEM cross bars are that height for a reason...the '18 uses an external sunroof that is the height of the front bar as opposed to the gen1s that had an internal sunroof only half way opened to a slot instead of a fully opened window like the gen2. Use shorter aftermarket crossbars on an '18 with a sunroof and when loaded you either can't operate the sunroof or if you forget and try to open the roof, you will damage it.

What if you don't have the sunroof?....then good luck on the noise factor. First thing I checked was if they were properly installed by the dealer - front bar is lower than the rear so that the loading surface is level when the vehicle is level and facing in the correct direction for the aerodynamic shape . In addition the tops of the bars contain and integral rubber traction surface. Also the bars are installed in fixed positions and cannot be slid forward or rearward, evidently for noise reduction and drag which is a major problem with roof racks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The dealer scratched my roof when they installed my crossbars. Didn't notice till after I purchased though...

Otherwise, I love them. Doesn't seem too high once you throw stuff on them. I used to think that they were a bit unsightly because of the gap between them and the roof, but as soon as I got the vehicle, I decided that the crossbars add extra definition to the overall look.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No likely because they can be removed or installed in a few minutes. You use 'em when you need 'em.

OEM cross bars are that height for a reason...the '18 uses an external sunroof that is the height of the front bar as opposed to the gen1s that had an internal sunroof only half way opened to a slot instead of a fully opened window like the gen2. Use shorter aftermarket crossbars on an '18 with a sunroof and when loaded you either can't operate the sunroof or if you forget and try to open the roof, you will damage it.

What if you don't have the sunroof?....then good luck on the noise factor. First thing I checked was if they were properly installed by the dealer - front bar is lower than the rear so that the loading surface is level when the vehicle is level and facing in the correct direction for the aerodynamic shape . In addition the tops of the bars contain and integral rubber traction surface. Also the bars are installed in fixed positions and cannot be slid forward or rearward, evidently for noise reduction and drag which is a major problem with roof racks.
Gotcha, so you find they do or dont add noise to the ride?.... i dont have a sun roof.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer scratched my roof when they installed my crossbars. Didn't notice till after I purchased though...

Otherwise, I love them. Doesn't seem too high once you throw stuff on them. I used to think that they were a bit unsightly because of the gap between them and the roof, but as soon as I got the vehicle, I decided that the crossbars add extra definition to the overall look.
Great pic, they dont look so bad there.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Gotcha, so you find they do or dont add noise to the ride?.... i dont have a sun roof.
All I know is I can't hear any difference I would attribute to added noise when on vs. off. Any aftermarket with same aerodynamic (wing shaped) cross section should work just as well mounted lower. But from what I know playing with the position on the '15 and previous roof racks the placement on the rails is critical to reduce noise so if an aftermarket I'd make sure it was capable of being mounted to the same screw in positions as the OEM rack.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On my Chevy Tahoe the rack was quite close to the top of the vehicle and it made it a pain to use. No clearance for ratchet straps to secure anything to the rack. I ended up buying Thule adapters and adding Thule cross bars to fix the problem. The Traverse design is much better for those who and to use the rack for more than carrying around ski's.

I have used Yakima and Thule and find the Thule cross bars with their rectangular profile to work better. The Yakima accessory holders tend to rotate around their round bars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased a Premier last week and was also hoping someone had pictures of (or feedback on) aftermarket crossbars because I don't love the look of the OEM bars (to put it nicely!:grin:). For me it is less the height than it is the fact that the ends stick out beyond the mounts. Looking to get a roof box and would love to see what aftermarket Thule or Yakima crossbars look like on the car. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be ordering this later this week and will post pics once I get them.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-Y00435-0436.html

My main concern with going non-OEM is that I use it for a roof box which will now be tilted back ever so slightly, and may need to sit a bit forward to clear the shark fin. I'll post pics of both the rack and rack with box on once I get it going.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

My main concern with going non-OEM is that I use it for a roof box which will now be tilted back ever so slightly, and may need to sit a bit forward to clear the shark fin. I'll post pics of both the rack and rack with box on once I get it going.
The description says:

These low-profile, aerodynamic crossbars clamp to your vehicle's raised factory side rails to create the quietest style of roof rack on the market.

Does your 2018 HAVE raised factory side rails? Or do you have the roof rack and just want to swap out the rails?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The description says:

These low-profile, aerodynamic crossbars clamp to your vehicle's raised factory side rails to create the quietest style of roof rack on the market.

Does your 2018 HAVE raised factory side rails? Or do you have the roof rack and just want to swap out the rails?
It has raised side rails but the 3 long supports for each rail take up over 50% of the total length of the rail so limited spaces where they can be clamped my not be where the owner wishes to place the clamps. Plus if you have the (dual) sunroof the area for clamping is more like 30% of the length of the rail once the roof is retracted and then may not be enough span for mounting a roof box.

The OEM rails are high off the roof, directional and screw in to two specific areas of the rail designed to accept the rails.....cannot be slid, relocated and re-anchored along the rail like gen1s. Height and location are critical to gain clearance for the opening of the sunroof which extends out and over the roof. If you have a sunroof and locate an aftermarket low profile rail too far forward you can kiss your sunroof and/or rail goodbye the first time you try to open it fully.

In addition the roof has raised ribs on the top of the roof probably to keep weight off the long rear stationary sunroof when supporting a flat bottomed object.......I'd be careful about putting 220 lbs in soft packaging directly on top of that rear glass.

And there's a reason why the rails extend past the sides of the mounts...from manual:

If something is carried on top of
the vehicle that is longer or wider
than the roof rack—like paneling,
plywood, or a mattress—the
wind can catch it while the vehicle
is being driven. The item being
carried could be violently torn off,
and this could cause a collision
and damage the vehicle. Never
carry something longer or wider
than the roof rack on top of the
vehicle unless using a GM
certified accessory carrier.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks, Rushman...looking forward to hearing how those worked. I don't have a sunroof and only plan on using the crossbars for a roofpod and/or ski rack, so none of those concerns listed in Thomcat's post above apply to me.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Helps visualize a lot.

The ribs are there for roof strength. A flat roof will bow up and down. The ribs provide strength. Same reason you use angle iron and not a flat bar if you don't want something long to bend. Railroads use ribs on rail cars for the same reason.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts