Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I’m not loaded like the youtubers who have endless cash to order parts. Just a cheapskate with a project to occupy time while on Furlough

I’m just a guy in Niagara Falls, Canada. I’m a cheap guy but I like nice things that I can repair on the cheap. My other cars are a 2012 Audi A4 and a 2004 Boxster S 550SE. Mostly I’ve been into German cars BMW and recently audi. The only other GM I’ve owned in my 40 years was a 2000 Silverado that I bought to help move between houses. My girlfriend is a loyal Buick owner.
Anyways the reason for this thread is my girlfriend has always wanted a 7seater and we only have 3 children.... Her Buick rendezvous blew the head gasket or intake gasket about 2 years ago and she needed a car. We ended up with her leasing a brand new encore. She wanted the enclave. I wasn’t up for paying that much monthly So the encore is what she got.
I’m always on FB marketplace Or Kijiji( Canadian craigslist). Two nights ago before bed I stumbled onto a listing E1E44954-FE09-42D2-8B73-31D85AAA5E9C.jpeg

now me being the guy I am. Message right away and ask. when can I see it and how much.

owner replied and said $600 but the motor is bad....expected. Timing chain problems hence never buying a used enclave when the rendezvous was alive.
So I went the next day and
248ECB20-F567-485D-B665-B0DAF1D1E45C.jpeg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 1 - Clean truck before diagnosing anything. Get a battery as the sellers removed the battery they purchased to use as a spare. I’m cheap so I’m getting a new junk yard battery from a wrecked car and I’ll find the hubcap I need there also.
24C53CEE-8401-4CAB-B0CE-4DB3A00A5E92.jpeg
Time to clean
6E1A6F80-0F66-4AEA-A93B-7E55CF16F525.jpeg
Looks better without the pollen and leaves everywhere.
Next interior. It’s filthy and stanks like someone Freshly shampood the carpets after being detailed but never dried it out. Something is wrong because it’s filthy
F037145C-CDDC-4CDC-B6F2-3A06E90C2CFF.jpeg 34831725-08C9-4B20-80FD-96FA664F0A45.jpeg 67F1E2CB-EFD2-4759-90D7-C43308D583FC.jpeg

nasty humans. It gets worse

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Got it for $600 with a bad motor. Might I suggest an LS swap with a junkard 5.3 obtained for another $600. Then spend about $5K making it all fit together and run, and you might have the world's only V8 Traverse! Just sayin... :D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Well. You will have a lots of headache installing a V8 on the Traverse. You did a nice job considering the condition it was.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That depends, the Impala was available with the 5.3 for a little while in the SS at least. I can't remember if it used the 6 speed or a different transmission but the pushrod engine will certainly fit "width" wise due to not having dual overhead cams but the additional "length" due to extra cylinders may be difficult. I say give it a try!

·
Registered
480 Posts
That depends, the Impala was available with the 5.3 for a little while in the SS at least. I can't remember if it used the 6 speed or a different transmission but the pushrod engine will certainly fit "width" wise due to not having dual overhead cams but the additional "length" due to extra cylinders may be difficult. I say give it a try!
Nah Impala used a 4 speed, and was notorious for blowing them up. Plus LS4's are somewhat rare.

I was more figuring he should just to a RWD conversion and use a longitudinal LS. Lot of custom fab work needed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nah Impala used a 4 speed, and was notorious for blowing them up. Plus LS4's are somewhat rare.

I was more figuring he should just to a RWD conversion and use a longitudinal LS. Lot of custom fab work needed.
Definitely gonna have to move the firewall to make that one work and install pusher fans in front of the radiator... first gen Traverses have a really short hood and tiny engine bay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I won’t be swapping a v8. Just want to see what can be done with this on a budget Oddly enough the car runs and idles perfectly. She told me once warm it starts knocking. I thought at first probably a spun bearing but it would knock immediately upon start up. I mean this car drives down the street without issue. What I did notice was the oil change sticker(s)
B4848BAA-BBE9-4BF6-801B-8179E4093AA1.jpeg
The currently mileage on the dash which wasn’t working when I bought it. Seems the light sensor on the dash is faulty. When i cover it. The DIs works.
294,000km!!! Could she really have exceeded her oil change interval by 15,000? LoL. Wouldn’t surprise me
So today I removed the front seats. Front carpets and Mouse Mansion(center console)
0441927B-4010-435C-86C6-F0C269529E5E.jpeg 6F99DF7D-458D-4D81-82B9-3763C747681A.jpeg E4038FE2-75C9-492D-A842-28E3B2D720AC.jpeg E0E6EE9F-62DB-4723-857D-6216561595DB.jpeg 0042FB71-DB22-4646-8FC5-BDA02F1BFADC.jpeg 386E7A91-FDC2-49B7-908C-165EA768458F.jpeg 1A45C14B-F709-4158-A685-40A8B71AADA3.jpeg DB92D77E-0D65-420E-93C0-3EA265FCE514.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great project considering your other cars and your probably going to have fun on the cheap. I bought a car like that once and while it's new owner is enjoying it I couldn't live with it. I've done auto detailing in the past and seen my share of stuff but when a car sits so long that mice move in there's really no moving forward unless it's completely gutted. I found a nest in a door that had no way in for mouse and then found another behind the radio when I removed it to upgraded and let's not forget the droppings in the ducts. My advice is enjoy the cheap fixes like detailing, wire repair and minor junk yard part finds but don't keep it especially with kids. BTW pick up a black light/uv light and use it to find the urine and droppings you cant see. Good luck and can't wait to see what else you do in QLD.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All of the interior is coming out and being replaced. once I locate new interior I’m gonna run an ozone generator in it.
This isn’t meant to be a full rebuild rather it’s just something to keep my mind occupied and out of the house and away from the woman and kids before I lose my sanity.
It’s calling for rain the next 24 hours so little will be done As I dare not step foot in there without ventilation.
I have a few questions if anyone is knowledgeable about these trucks And could help out

·
Registered
77 Posts
All of the interior is coming out and being replaced. once I locate new interior I’m gonna run an ozone generator in it.
This isn’t meant to be a full rebuild rather it’s just something to keep my mind occupied and out of the house and away from the woman and kids before I lose my sanity.
It’s calling for rain the next 24 hours so little will be done As I dare not step foot in there without ventilation.
I have a few questions if anyone is knowledgeable about these trucks And could help out
No need to replace the interior if your going to use a Ozone generator and cleaning it. I have a few projects keeping me busy also

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m gonna run the hvac system on recirculation front and rear with the Ozone machine.

can’t seem to open the hood which is bizarre. The release handle pops the hood but the latch feels like it’s binding and when pushed to the right will not release. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
man, I picked up mine for $300 and the interior was in a similar state. cleaning it was a nightmare! I did not have mice, but roaches from it being left to sit for about a year here in South Carolina (place should be the roach capitol of the US). I had to throw a couple of roach foggers in and let it sit for a couple of days. vacuuming everything out was fun after that.... gross.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We have to be very carefull for vehicules that were infested by rodents specially in all the venting system. I know a guy that his car was in infested by mice and got very sick and ended up in hospital with almost terminal sickness because he inhaled the vermine in his lungs through the ventilation system. Not worth taking a chance even after a good clean up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wow man you beat me in price. I thought the owner was crazy when she sold me the car for so cheap. It’s basically scrap metal cost. I figured if it’s too far gone I could scrap it and recover $400 while parting out some things I’d break even.
Back story, the owner has owned it for 5 years she says. She works as a rural Canada post(USPS) mail carrier which explains the mileage. For those that don’t know what that means these people use their personal vehicle and attach a flag to their car and put mail in the mailboxes at the end of driveways in free standing mailboxes. She also drove to Newfoundland to visit family multiple times in a year. I’ve driven en there once and it took me 3 Days with stops. She also had 5 kids which contributed to the mess. Lastly she bought a new caravan in February and the car has been parked under a tree in her gravel driveway since. I think the mice got in while she’d been driving it. Hence all of the air fresheners. They were not put it to sell the car and mask the odour. They’d been in there for months if not years. What some people are willing to tolerate is beyond me.

Today I’ll be removing the middle and third row seats and carpets. Middle row seats are stuck badly and I can’t access the rear bolts. 2 of the 5/8” bolts stripped so I ordered extractors last night. Think I got a good price. Today the rest of the interior is coming out! I did some cleaning yesterday. Scrubbed the front row panels and center console with simple green and let the rain do the rest

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So the rain had been intermittent and I figured why not put some hours in....
Milwaukee m18 3/4” drive
24” 1/2 breaker bar and 18” extensions
15mm impact socket and penetrating fluid
B374CCC5-D58E-4904-9B91-6D90A467DFDC.jpeg
One thing I’d like to mention when removing these seats. The outer bolts are extremely high torque. The inner bolts came out like butter.

To remove the outer bolts I had to 1)crack them loose with the breaker bar +15MM. 2)Soak them with penetrating fluid. 3)Loosen with impact gun. 4)Add more fluid. 5)Tighten with impact gun. 6)And loosen with impact

Third row seats were I believe 3 or 4 18mm bolts and all came out relatively easy with the torque gun.

Lastly there’s a trunk divider I don’t even know what to call it but there’s a stow away bin in the trunk behind the 3rd row there is a black raised partition. 3x 13mm bolts hold this in.

Interior has been removed and the stink is gone. I need to pull the cabin filter but forgot.

AC8FE498-F6A1-4C6E-A0A6-A14DEB509BC3.jpeg AD9D5A97-0DBA-419D-BDF7-B58397C33E86.jpeg 883939F3-5F41-486F-A123-5E6E1DDF49B3.jpeg
Here’s what the trim looked like before and here’s the ones I did yesterday for the after. Simple green. One man and one brush. Two girls and one cup have been removed from the TRAVesty

AE881774-E166-4EA5-B427-4E7966569CFB.jpeg 832729C6-9FB2-4718-9CF0-02D62D3F67FA.jpeg 5E5872E0-D88C-489F-BCC2-168754E27E75.jpeg CCC74C79-CC2C-497E-8B6C-AAD56135AD32.jpeg

1 - 20 of 84 Posts