Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did our second Oil Change this weekend (12065 miles) and while checking everything else found that the coolant rezzy was almost empty (cold). There was about 1 inch of coolant in the bottle and it's very narrow at the bottom. I filled it with Dex-cool and will keep an eye on it (and maybe pull a plug or two) but don't see any signs of coolant leaks. Any Ideas? Is this normal for 1 year of driving? It wasn't in my 5.3l truck.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I check the coolant reservoir often and I do notice the level fall. I have done oil analyses and verified that it isnt going into the sump and I never see any sign of it on the driveway. I am not sure if there is evaporation or maybe some overflow.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I received mine from the at the time of purchase with it low like yours. I topped it off and it's been fine.

Did you check it before this as it seems to me the are delivered this way sometimes.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
I also check my level often- when I check the oil level- I check the coolant level.
This is about every 2 weeks- when I wash the car- I pop the hood- and check fluid level.
Also- UOA for me--- has also shown- no coolant in the oil.

Since youve refilled- I would monitor it for loss-- way more often.

Did you refill with the premixed 50/50 mixture?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
I received mine from the at the time of purchase with it low like yours. I topped it off and it's been fine.

Did you check it before this as it seems to me the are delivered this way sometimes.
Yes, the factory does the "fluid fills" on the "low side", when the dealer performs the PDI ( pre delivery inspection) the fluids should be brought up, topped off, but are sometimes, missed, overlooked, etc.

Bob

A

·
0 Posts
Might want to check the coolant level at the radiator cap itself every once in awhile

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigBlueTraverse said:

I can't say i've ever noticed it before. I would assume that i checked it last oil change at least but that was January in the adirondacks so i may have been rushing a little ;)

I'll keep an eye on it now. It's not my DD (wifes) so i don't really get into it much. my 2010 silverado Z71 5.3 on the other hand :blob:

·
Registered
272 Posts
It happened to mine as well. I did the first OC at about 2500 mi and it was really low. Brought it to the dealer, pressure tested and filled. No problem since. They said it might have been an air bubble in the system that needed to work its way out.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Just to make you aware of a possible trouble spot, check your water pump. Many times they will leak and not leave a noticeable trace of coolant. Very close inspection is needed if you do have a small leak there.

I found this post on the Acadia forum, where he just had a water pump leak which left no puddling or pooling of coolant on the ground. I also remember several posts over the last several months about bad water pumps, even with low miles.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=7637.msg110434;topicseen#new

·
Registered
129 Posts
The same thing has happened to me on a few occasions and every time I have the dealer check it out but there is no leak. I wonder where the coolant is going?

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Time for you to have a Used oil analysis-- that may show if coolant is making it into the oil....

·
Registered
994 Posts
mrw803 said:
The same thing has happened to me on a few occasions and every time I have the dealer check it out but there is no leak.
As I had posted earlier in this thread, I do check the coolant level regularly and I do notice a slight fall but for sure it is hard to be unequivocal as coolant level in the overflow tank is so dependent on the ambient temperature. Anyways I was in the dealership yesterday getting the latest transmission flash for an 09 and I asked if they could do a pressure test at the same time. It came back negative i.e. no loss of pressure :confused:. So at least I know there is nothing terrible happening i.e. water pump failure or worse an intake manifold gasket issue.

·
Registered
465 Posts
There normally is a slight loss due to evaporation of the water in the coolant system from heating up and then cooling down.
I have seen this alot with semi-tractor equipment and it's normal to a small level decrease every week . Just top up with GM coolant and monitor the level.
I check my levels twice a week in my vehicles just to be on the safe side. :thumb:

·
Registered
994 Posts
2LT AWD said:
There normally is a slight loss due to evaporation of the water in the coolant system from heating up and then cooling down.
For sure. But a small intake or water pump leak cam look similar (i.e. slow decrease in the coolant level) and given that the dealership was willing to do a pressure test free of charge I did take advantage of the offer.

I had a 2000 Montana which TWICE had the infamous head gasket issue :mad: so I am paranoid when I see coolant fall :eek:hno:.

·
Registered
465 Posts
copperbeech said:
I had a 2000 Montana which TWICE had the infamous head gasket issue :mad: so I am paranoid when I see coolant fall :eek:hno:.
If the shop did a free coolant pressure test then it helps with a peace of mind

Oh yes the old GM 2.8 / 3.1/3.4/3.5 liter engine problems , i would be paranoid as well with coolant levels falling.
Those engine back then didn't have the tight tolerances like todays engines , they had problems with the molds/ casings not matching up prefectly
to each other leaving a small web of matereial and not providing enough material to make a good seal..... :sosad:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ours was slightly low at delivery of our Traverse, but I had some on hand and added it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My coolant used to disappear a little between oil changes for the first 18,000 miles then it suddenly stopped. So, who knows?

·
Registered
150 Posts
The system for sure was/is low from the factory, likely air pockets. As the vehicle is driven and heating/cooling cycles, some of those air pockets get "burped" out. Keep an eye and top up the overflow when the system is cold. I've topped off my system and became somewhat worried about it. After topping a few times, the system seems to have settled and is "full" proper. It took a good long while (somewhere between 15~25K miles). I'm at 30K miles and haven't noticed any further loss either. Approximately 1 Qt (or a bit less than 1L for you Canadians) has been added to the system thus far. YMMV.

Over time the overflow may end up having some water evaporate. This could look like "loss" from elsewhere within the system. But like any other fluid, you need to actually check on it routinely and top-off when necessary.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
bigtallvandy said:
The system for sure was/is low from the factory, likely air pockets. As the vehicle is driven and heating/cooling cycles, some of those air pockets get "burped" out. Keep an eye and top up the overflow when the system is cold. I've topped off my system and became somewhat worried about it. After topping a few times, the system seems to have settled and is "full" proper. It took a good long while (somewhere between 15~25K miles). I'm at 30K miles and haven't noticed any further loss either. Approximately 1 Qt (or a bit less than 1L for you Canadians) has been added to the system thus far. YMMV.

Over time the overflow may end up having some water evaporate. This could look like "loss" from elsewhere within the system. But like any other fluid, you need to actually check on it routinely and top-off when necessary.

Every quart NOT INSTALLED upon assembly saves GM a big hunk of change.
Dealers are SUPPOSED to "top fluids" off with their P.D.I. procedure.
Bob

·
Registered
150 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
Every quart NOT INSTALLED upon assembly saves GM a big hunk of change.
Dealers are SUPPOSED to "top fluids" off with their P.D.I. procedure.
Bob
Agreed and true enough.

But they may not notice the loss if the overflow appears at a 'normal' to 'full' level at the time of inspection. It can take considerable time for the system to work these pockets of air out. Then again, could also be the dealer did notice it and doesn't want to absorb that cost either and pass it onto the unsuspecting consumer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts