Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a set of replacement tires for my 2015 Traverse....There are 2 i like and I'm looking for a tire that will do well in some sloppy snow...I live in a far suburb near Chicago...I dont off road but I appreciate an aggressive tire . What I am deciding between are Continental terrain ht or Continental sure contact LX...will either of these b good enough in snow? How do i choose the one that fits me best??

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'd start by reading reviews/tests, like on TireRack.com
This... check Discount Tire, Tire Buyer, etc. to get as many reviews as you can.

I'm gonna need new tires in the spring and I'm strongly leaning towards the new Uniroyals since they will be hundreds of dollars cheaper and are getting rave reviews... figured in 6 months if people still love them through the winter and after putting some miles on them I will take the dive.

·
Registered
480 Posts
@cintocrunch, which Uniroyals are you referring to? I'd like to look into them myself. Thanks
I believe this is the one...

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/uniroyal/tiger-paw-touring-a-s/p/style/767450

The BJs wholesale stocks them near me. Most sites I've been on have them highly rated. But consumer reports gave them bad ratings (whatever their opinions are worth nowadays, I've been losing my faith in them for car related items and their clear favoritism). That's why I figured I'd let them go through the winter and see what people were saying. My second choice is probably the new BFG Advantage Sport LT, it's getting great reviews as well and has the 3 peak rating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree

consumer reports gave a thumbs up on rge firestone destination le tires, I continue to love these tires over others
I have not had good luck with Continentals. They seem to get hard and spin in wet once the first soft layer wears off ~ 15-20,000 miles. In my opinion anyway. I've taken them off every car I bought which had them. Ive been replacing them with Firestone / Bridgestone. I have Deuler's on my 2017 Traverse and I really like them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
On my 2018 I went with the Continental Crosscontact LX20 tires that are an all-terrain 4 season tire. Sold the factory tires on Craigslist. I went with the 255/55R20 that on paper should have been a good fit but are actually 1/4 inch too wide and hit at the rear of the wheel well when doing a turn with the steering wheel all the way over.

·
Registered
480 Posts
On my 2018 I went with the Continental Crosscontact LX20 tires that are an all-terrain 4 season tire. Sold the factory tires on Craigslist. I went with the 255/55R20 that on paper should have been a good fit but are actually 1/4 inch too wide and hit at the rear of the wheel well when doing a turn with the steering wheel all the way over.
Which part exactly? If it's the plastic splash shield, hit it with a heat gun and deform it slightly to provide the clearance... I don't like cutting painted parts but some people don't mind. At that point I'd be going one size narrower.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting, Uniroyal Tiger Paw's are what came on my 2000 S10 and wife's 2001 Impala. They all needed replaced before 30k.
My 2004 Silverado and her 2018 Traverse came with Bridgestone Duelers and they will slip and engage the ABS if you hit a drop of spit on the ground.
So I'm not impressed with any tires that came OEM and wouldn't buy any like them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not really an great comparison, but I had Bridgestone Duelers on my Hummer H3 (This car's predecessor). I liked them. Lots of people did not. Now the Duelers are on Rev2 and the reviews and not so good. I ended up putting Firestone Destinations on my Wife's Durango and on my H3. I liked them and would consider them for the Traverse. I kind of like the Continentals for dry and can figure a way to deal with them slipping in the rain, so I hate to swap them out prematurely (only about 1500 mi). For snow, I have not tried the Snow Mode. Maybe that will help some (though I doubt it). I should have stuck to my guns and got a AWD version.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not really an great comparison, but I had Bridgestone Duelers on my Hummer H3 (This car's predecessor). I liked them. Lots of people did not. Now the Duelers are on Rev2 and the reviews and not so good. I ended up putting Firestone Destinations on my Wife's Durango and on my H3. I liked them and would consider them for the Traverse. I kind of like the Continentals for dry and can figure a way to deal with them slipping in the rain, so I hate to swap them out prematurely (only about 1500 mi). For snow, I have not tried the Snow Mode. Maybe that will help some (though I doubt it). I should have stuck to my guns and got a AWD version.
Which Duelers? Dueler is just their way of saying SUV/Truck tires. The H/L Alenzas have always had good reviews and they were a very good tire on my dad's Denali. I've had the A/T Revo and Revo2 and they were both excellent on my Pathfinders, I am probably going to have my mom upgrade her Wrangler's mud terrains to the Revo3 in the next month.

But there are probably 10+ tires in the Dueler family I have no experience with that could be crappy tires.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If you want a good snow tire get the Firestone winter force2. You wont regret. We live in a place where the snow is really what we call SNOW. The tires are top in the worst snow storms. And my Traverse is only a front wheel drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts