Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interesting issue...

It rained the day after I took delivery of my '15 Traverse almost 2 weeks ago, and I noticed a little bit of condensation build up in both headlight and both tail light lenses.

Now, having many years of auto part selling experience, I know that this is not a good thing, and I am afraid that if gone untreated, I could start blowing bulbs prematurely.

Is this an issue anyone else has encountered, and what was done about it? It's obviously a sealing issue between the body of the truck and the lens.

A search on the topic yields nothing in the forum here. If Chevrolet Customer Service reads this, what can be done?

:cheers:

·
Registered
241 Posts
You need to ensure that the lights are properly sealed. Either take it to the dealer or you can do it yourself. It's the same procedure as changing a lightbulb, but instead of changing it you're checking to make sure the light bulbs are seated against the assembly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

It's not really the bulbs themselves that are the issue. It's the actual head and tail light assemblies themselves.

I'll just wind up going back to the dealer to see if they can be reseated or tightened down more

·
Registered
538 Posts
67hvymtl said:
Thank you

It's not really the bulbs themselves that are the issue. It's the actual head and tail light assemblies themselves.

I'll just wind up going back to the dealer to see if they can be reseated or tightened down more

What he's trying to say is if the bulb sockets are not properly locked down and sealed moisture can get into the housing

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK,

In any event, I have a whole week off from work next week, so I'll just see if they can find out what the issue is.

We shall see... :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Hi 67hvymtl,

It's probably best you visit the dealer so they can inspect your head/tail lights. Let us know how everything turns out, and we'd be happy to contact them if necessary.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Amber,

Thank you for looking at this post.

I will definitely post what they inspected and how they resolved the issue.

The only thing I'm thinking is that they will want to see the vehicle with the condensation in the lights, and not after its dried out.

You can call and see what they suggest if you like and let me know here

Multi Chevrolet
Rt 22 West
Union, NJ

Thank you :cheers:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the exact same issue and I thought it was Ok. Well, it seems I was wrong. I'm gonna wait for another rainy day and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chen5317,

I see I'm not the only one this happened to, so I'm not crazy...

What do you mean you thought it was ok, but you were wrong?

Please go into detail if it got worse, bulbs blew prematurely, etc..

·
Registered
616 Posts
Take it to the dealer and get documentation in case it reoccurs, don't try to fix this yourself it's under warranty anyways.
I had this happen to me with the Montana SV6, and the steering wheel emblem had popped off and you could see the airbag, all this with the warranty 3 months past its due, I took it to the dealer where I purchased it, they told me nothing could be done.
I later took it to a dealer near me and they took care of it right away, first thing they said was " moisture within a headlight or taillight is a safety issue, not to mention potential electrical problems, and that they will cover it under warranty somehow", normally its a rubber seal that gives and most likely not a loose bulb socket, according to them.
They also showed me moisture in the taillight which I had not seen and replaced both with new ones, no charge.
The steering wheel cover was also changed at no charge.
Needless to say, I bought the 'verse from that dealership.

·
Registered
124 Posts
67hvymtl said:
Chen5317,

I see I'm not the only one this happened to, so I'm not crazy...

What do you mean you thought it was ok, but you were wrong?

Please go into detail if it got worse, bulbs blew prematurely, etc..

I mean, I thought it's normal to have some condensation but now I realized that should not happen.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thak you rau_d...

I will definitely have it looked at on monday

·
Registered
124 Posts
You said you saw a little moisture? I'm wondering what amount is little? And what area did u see it? I just noticed mine is surrounding the lens, not in the middle of the lens. Although it does not affect the lighting or the color in a noticeable sense, I do worry about the safety issue someone mentioned in the post.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took pics yesterday of the condensation in the tail lights lenses. There wasn't any in the headlight lenses. The areas where it collected was where the tail light comes to a sharp point and bends around to side of the truck. Right in that area there.

Too bad I can't post the pics

Dealer can't see it until Thursday.

·
Registered
616 Posts
post the pics in a album in the gallery section of the forum, then attach the link on one of your comments, here in this thread.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. Should I be worried?

Head lights
[smg id=1041]
[smg id=1049]
[smg id=1057]
[smg id=1065]

Tail lights
[smg id=1073]
[smg id=1081]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chen5317

That's exactly what I have.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I called the dealer and schedule a maintenance this Friday. They said they gonna pour some water onto the headlight assembly and see if any of the water gets inside. If so, they will repair it. Otherwise, the fog is normal.

I never saw such fog on my Ford Focus, so I don't believe it's normal. Anyway, we'll see.

·
Registered
616 Posts
it is not normal, if it was, every car on the road specially GM vehicles would have this issue, and its a safety[/color] issue, don't let them tell you otherwise.
My trailblazer needed a new taillight after I back into a tree, I bought an after market taillight over the net, and that one developed moisture or condensation after rain falls, I called the place I got it from and they sent me a new one, indicating the rubber seal between the lens and the housing must have a small crack allowing a bit of water in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know it's definitely not normal. I never had an issue with this with any of my other vehicles, despite make or model.

Definitely sounds like a seal issue.

Watch...a recall will come out somewhere along the line. LOL!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts