Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to resolve these codes for a while now. Both converters have been replaced as have all coil packs, plugs, intake gasket, O2 sensors, MAF meter, a damaged intake duct from air filter housing to TB, fuel injectors, the evap valve on the intake manifold and the gas cap. I am aware that the 497 code concerns the purge/evap valve near the tank so my question is this : Could this be causing the 420 and 430 codes after all the other replaced parts? Car has 210,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do not reply to often to post . so here is my reply the purge/evap valve will not cause the codes P0420 and P0430. with 210,000 miles my question is why did you not run a compression test on all six cylinders . instead of throwing parts at this vehicle it is not going to solve the problem . I am not going to get into what it can be. After 40 years of being a certified GM trained tech and holding 8 ASE certification's . I just retired this year. And yes i do own a chevy traverse . So good luck

·
Registered
537 Posts
Can you confirm if the car was a Cali/Northeast emissions car originally? And what cats did the shop/place use, OEM or aftermarket? Believe there are two types of cats for these cars, a cali spec and a federal spec. I recall some folks have issues with cat inefficiency codes putting a fed spec cat on a Cali car.

Reactions: Plymouthcranbrook

·
Registered
2020 High Country
562 Posts
2x nhra . Underhood sticker needs to be looked at to see if it has Cali. emissions. Very few aftermarket cats are Cali. certified / compatible and Federal cats will set a po420 after a short while when installed into a Cali. vehicle.
My brother went through this in a Impala and big brother had to sort out his ''mechanic's'' screw up of putting the cheaper Federal cats in.
California emissions vehicles can only be sold in NJ and NY states I know that for sure and many other states so Cali. vehicles can appear anywhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well , that seems to be the problem. The car is indeed a California emissions car as it came down to NC from New York prior to our purchasing it. That being the case who makes CARB compliant converters for this car? Everywhere I look I only find EPA versions. And to answer jbarr10536, there was a compression test done when the injectors were done. The repairs listed have been done over the past 3-4 years of my ownership of the car(bought in 2015 with 58K miles on it). These codes have been popping up since the replacement of the original bank 1 converter around 3 years ago.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
562 Posts
Many CA cats are dealer only parts. Aftermarket has tons of Federal (EPA) compliant but very few CA compliant.
Check online at a GM factory parts site for pricing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts