Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 will not pass TX state inspection and when we check the codes we get two codes. P0008 and P0017. Can anyone out there explain to me what these codes mean and what it will take to get my car ready to pass inspection with these codes. Please be as detailed as you can. I have a 2010 Traverse LS 2WD 172,000 miles. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
oh no.
Unfortunately--- these codes are pointing to your timing chain.
You MAY be able to change the oil--- and have the codes dissapear for a little bit. (in case the sensors are gunked up)... long enough to get the state inspection.
(how long has the CEL been on?)

But unfortunately the 09-10 have a history of these codes-- pointing to the chain being worn.
In the 2010- it may be due to low oil levels- or extended oil changes.
The bad news is-- that if it is the chain that is the problem-- it can be a $2000- $4000 job to repair.
Most shops will drop the engine/transmission cradle and repair.
A few shops may do it with engine in bay.

Search the forums--- a few had luck changing the sensors--- and the CEL went away but came back.

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
here is someone doing it in their garage-- with engine in bay

here is a time lapse of dealer doing the removal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh no.
Unfortunately--- these codes are pointing to your timing chain.
You MAY be able to change the oil--- and have the codes dissapear for a little bit. (in case the sensors are gunked up)... long enough to get the state inspection.
(how long has the CEL been on?)

But unfortunately the 09-10 have a history of these codes-- pointing to the chain being worn.
In the 2010- it may be due to low oil levels- or extended oil changes.
The bad news is-- that if it is the chain that is the problem-- it can be a $2000- $4000 job to repair.
Most shops will drop the engine/transmission cradle and repair.
A few shops may do it with engine in bay.

Search the forums--- a few had luck changing the sensors--- and the CEL went away but came back.
It has come on then gone off for almost a year. It would go off after an hour or two on the freeway but its now been several months since it has gone off.

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
yeah... you can try an oil change to see if that clears up possible debris or gunk on sensor-- long enough to get it inspected...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts