Traverse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!!

I have 2009 Traverse LS; I purchased the vehicle brand new in June of 2009. I noticed very early on that when my Traverse is idling there is clicking noise from the engine. At first I thought this was normal for a direct injection engine, I heard/read this in some car review. I am now starting to doubt this, yesterday I was standing beside a 2010 Enclave when it was started and it did not make the ticking noise while it was idling.

I’m wondering if any of you have heard or experienced this issue?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Re: Clicking boise at ide in engine bay

mine ticks- its a 2010
I think the ticking is the secondary fuel pump for the injectors-- to get it up to a high PSI to inject the fuel..

·
Registered
551 Posts

Mine clickes but it is not too loud.

It also makes a high pitch whine or buzzing sound coming from the engine bay. If you turn the car off and are listening to the radio or until the car shuts down (i.e. turns off lights, dome lights, etc.) the whine/buzz is quite loud. especially if you were to open the hood. Anyone else?

·
Registered
417 Posts

It is the fuel pump. The pressure needed to push the modern fuel injection system on GM's is very high. Result is great fuel economy, yet power when you need it. The fuel pump also makes a downward whine when you shut off the engine. Many here have called it the "Batmobile Sound". LOL!

·
Registered
11,568 Posts

also--- like jet engines when they power down...

·
Registered
11,568 Posts

also-- when you 1st start your car in the morning---
the RPM's are high-- and about 20 seconds into the high idle-- theres a momentary blip in the RPM's... where you can HEAR the engine RPM's drop...

from a post around here--- someome said thats the secondary pump-- and injectors injecting extra fuel to richen the fuel-- and then it reverts to one---something like that...

I have graphed this dip on my scanner/laptop....
Its quite apparent on the graph--- and audible too when youre listening for it...

·
Registered
11,568 Posts

Tiestosteele said:
Mine clickes but it is not too loud.

It also makes a high pitch whine or buzzing sound coming from the engine bay. If you turn the car off and are listening to the radio or until the car shuts down (i.e. turns off lights, dome lights, etc.) the whine/buzz is quite loud. especially if you were to open the hood. Anyone else?

I have trouble hearing people inside clubs--- with loud music--- I see people talking all the time and think... what the **** are they talking about--- can they even hear each other?????
BUT-- on the other hand--- I can hear the high pitched sounds electronics make..
I can hear the buzzing from under the hood like described above...
and when inside the car-- with no radio and no loud exterior noise--- I can hear the theater dimming lights dim...... they make buzzin sound...
I can close my eyes and tell you when the lights are dimming...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

rbarrios said:
I have trouble hearing people inside clubs--- with loud music--- I see people talking all the time and think... what the **** are they talking about--- can they even hear each other?????
BUT-- on the other hand--- I can hear the high pitched sounds electronics make..
I can hear the buzzing from under the hood like described above...
and when inside the car-- with no radio and no loud exterior noise--- I can hear the theater dimming lights dim...... they make buzzin sound...
I can close my eyes and tell you when the lights are dimming...
Holy Cow .... if you can hear theater lights dimming, there isn't anything you're not going to hear, that's for certain. :happy:

Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah, its the secondary fuel pump. The paperwork I have says it boosts pressure to 1700 psi I think, I can check it tomorrow if someone wanted an exact number. But its normal anyway, sounds like crap but normal.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thank you for this info guys. I've been worried too and thought it would be a pulley bearing. I have a used '09 LS and was drooling over an LT last night.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Also, that as I call it a "skip" or "blip" as stated above when it switches the injector pulses actually smooths out with time. I have 11500 on mine now and the engine gets quieter and smoother over time. I don't notice the transition anymore.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
with about 7xxx miles on mine- I can hear it-- since I usually remote start- as I approach my vehicle- I can hear that dip...
I keep forgetting to post it---
its very visible when you graph the data.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
here are the 2 different startup events.
note the dip at -95 seconds.
the other
note dip at -68 seconds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
And another "Thanks guys"!
My 2009 has never had the ticking noise until a few weeks ago.
I checked the oil and it was a quart low - first time the oil has ever been low.
So naturally I thought it was a lifter being starved.
I then inadvertently over filled the oil by half a quart (golly it talks a long time for the oil to reach the pan).
No change in the ticking noise.
Pulled a trailer for 900+ miles. When I got back it had stopped.
Next morning it was back and still ticking.
My ticking is related to engine RPM.
Is the fuel pump noise RPM related?
I had my injector wiring eaten by mice so all my injectors have been removed (twice because the Chevy mechanic didn't install the injector seals right the first time and they leaked fuel) about a year ago.
Could my noise be an injector possibly damaged by the same all thumbs mechanic?
Car runs very very well - AWD will spin three wheels and I get 20-22 MPG interstate driving at 70-80 MPH. (Yes 80 is legal in SD & TX)

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
the tick in the engine bay is more pronounced at idle.

Pretty much goes away at higher rpms (or cant be heard due to engine noise),

·
Registered
19 Posts
my 2010 has the tick at idle and hiss when turned off. sometimes if i get out real quick i can hear what sounds like flap closing also. anyone know what that sound is?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts