Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice for cleaning my new cashmere leather seats. My drivers seat seams to look a little dirty I didn't want to clean it without any advice. I have tried to keep it clean by putting a towel down when I get in with my work clothes. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
There are several great products on the market for this purpose. I personally like to use a product called Lexol cleaner, then the Lexol conditioner. I have also used the Meguiars Lether cleaner/conditioner in one. These products can all be found here at the local auto parts stores ( Autozone, Advance Auto, etc) and sometimes even Wal Mart carries them. I'd say try one of those, and see what you like the smell / results best of, and use that. The main thing is to clean before you condition, and that you do both pretty often. The more often you keep the leather conditioned, the better it will resist dirt and cracking.

You could also try autogeek.net. They have some excellent products on that site as well, which are a bit more pricey, but you may find you like them better.

Good Luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather cleaner/conditioner on my 2003 CTS seats for the 7 years I had it. The leather was black, but they always looked clean and smelled good. I had a friend get in the car when it was 6 yrs old, and he commented that it still smelled like a new car.
The only leather I have to keep clean now is on the steering wheel :-(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T/hanks for the advice. I'll see what's available at my local store and give one of them a try. Do either of you think it"s odd that my seat already looks a little discolored. Like I said in my previous post they are the cashmere. I didn't think I would notice them getting discolored so soon when I have been trying to be careful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had leather interior my entire life. The best leather conditioner/cleaner on the market is 3M. It is in a black spray bottle with red lettering. I have done some research and it seems to have the most conditioner out of any of the brands out there.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
jim8 said:
T/hanks for the advice. I'll see what's available at my local store and give one of them a try. Do either of you think it"s odd that my seat already looks a little discolored. Like I said in my previous post they are the cashmere. I didn't think I would notice them getting discolored so soon when I have been trying to be careful.
I don't think it's odd at all. We got the light gray leather ( probably a mistake with a 7mo. old little one, but we were tired of black leather interior) and I've noticed a slightly dirty haze on the drivers seat only a couple of times. As soon as I use my preferred leather cleaner, it's gone, and is nice and soft. I've only noticed this hazy leather look when I haven't had a chance to clean the seats as often as I'd like, due to weather or other time constraints. The longest I've gone has been about 3 weeks without a cleaning on the seats.

·
Registered
551 Posts
We have the light gray seats (black is not available on LTZ :angryfire:) and they can look a bit dirty.

Question for you guys, do these conditioners make the seats slippery? I have used a couple of leather products on my mustang seats, it helps but makes you slide a bit. I dont mind it, but the wife hates it. Within 2 minutes of driving she is yelling because she is sliding all over!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
We have the light gray seats (black is not available on LTZ :angryfire:) and they can look a bit dirty.

Question for you guys, do these conditioners make the seats slippery? I have used a couple of leather products on my mustang seats, it helps but makes you slide a bit. I dont mind it, but the wife hates it. Within 2 minutes of driving she is yelling because she is sliding all over!
I have run into the slippery issue before with one of the Meguiars products. I think it was the product that was a lotion consistancy, which was only a conditioner, and not a cleaner. I have never had the slick problem with the Lexol, or even with some of the Zymol that I found on a deep discount at Target once. These are both singular products, meaning there is one product to clean, and another for conditioning. I've only used one product that did both, and that was a Meguiars product, came out like milky water, and did a good job of cleaning, but appeared to leave the leather more dry looking. Didn't feel dry to the texture though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
we have the leather cashmere seats, we bought the car new just over a year ago and we have been constantly getting discoloring of the driver seat - black marking coming through the leather. It has been back to the dealer 3 times and we are still having issues.

Any advice? Are other people having problems with discoloring of the leather cashmere seats?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I'm going to tell everyone this one time Eagle 1... is the best leather cleaner/treatment I have ever used. Used in my Cutlass Supreme for 11 years and the leather still looked like new. Th only cracking was on the sides where the plastic touched the leather AKA rubbed the protection off.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have used Megauires leather cleaner and conditioner on my cashmere seat , it's removed the stubborn blue jean color from the seat .

This Zanio leather conditioner / cleaner sounds good , how many times will it do the entire vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
GoPaul,

I have read your post about your leather seats in your Traverse. Could you please, clarify what you have been experiencing? I know that this may sound stupid, but is this something that when you take it to the dealership they can get the mark to go away and then it comes back?

I hope that you have a great weekend!
Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
That article about a vinyl coating on the leather is similar to a couch I purchased from Nattuzzi .
Your can choose between a natural leather or one that has a plastic film on it that protects againist scratches from pet and young kids . ;D

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
ls973800 said:
Although the link I've posted below is from a company selling cleaning products for cars, you might want to check out what your "leather" seats really are, in many domestic cars and trucks. Might change your mind on what to clean and preserve them with.
The 303 Aerospace protectant works amazingly. I use it on my boat seat all the time, and they clean up just as easy, if not easier than the Traverse seats, and they are outside all year long ( although covered most of the time ). I have never thought to use it on automotive leather though, as it leaves a little bit of a slick film on the boat vinyl, and I don't want that on the Traverse's leather seats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts