Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so, lets start by saying that "yes, these vehicles have a bad rap and quite frankly most of you seem to hate your traverse". However! Lets get some things straight about some of the "crappy engineering" or "horrible vehicle" posts found on this forum.

Without insulting any forum members, lets take into consideration that most posts lack technical knowledge of a possible problem as well as a lack of technical information and actual knowledge in the answers provided. I have read about 9pgs of different issues on this forum can thus I made the conclusion that some of these problems are just a lack of understanding basic automotive tech. Let me list a few samples in a nut shell:

STABILITRACK/TRACTION CONTROL: Complaints include, service light comes on, loss of power & vehicle won't accelerate.
- Accused source of problem - "crappy engineering, GM recalls, Failed sensors, pos vehicle etc etc.
Reported causes after findings: hitting pot holes, cacked up dirt in encoder ring, steering wheel removal w/o proper reinstall (inexperienced or untrained DIY mechanics), improper alignments etc etc.

*** these problems were caused by drivers hitting pot holes, or excessive dirt in sensor encoder rings or people attempting repairs that they are unfamiliar with. These are complaints found in this post that ended up not being the vehicles fault.

ALTERNATOR VOLTAGE COMPLAINT - Many people complain about the Alternator not putting out enough power or falling below specs etc. But little is understood about the power management system in this vehicle. The alternator puts out more or less power as needed. The owners manual MENTIONS this voltage fluctuation.

TOP END TICKING - Also see many posts and complaints about ticking noise from top end of engine. Many forum members (not just traverse forum) advising to use sea foam, thicker oils or advising on potentially bad lifters etc etc.but not many know or remember that this is NORMAL for DGI engines.

MPG COMPLAINTS - many people are not resetting the fuel/trip meters thus seeing Avgs of about 12.4 mpg city 16hwy as over all Avgs. Resetting the values will allow you to see more recent #s. And its not as bad as we see or hear. Although I do agree, it could have been better on mpg but this v6 can very easily move this 5klbs vehicle with no hesitation at al. You gotta be willing to negotiate a little, good power for little less mpf. Im ok w that because with 6speed tranny and this engine hitting max torque at pretty much all shift points ... does out a smile to your face :)

K&N FILTER - Many members state LOOSING mpg while using this filter in place of stock. Cotton vs Paper filter, hmmm... I have no idea how they assume or figure that a paper filter is better than cotton (k&n) which CAN flow lots more air as needed with much less restrictions. That will without a doubt increase MPG/HP. Won't turn it into a Corvette but you'll feel it. Anyone stating loosing power or mpg because the "mass air flow sensor will calculate and add more fuel" needs to do a little more reading....

Anyways these are a few of the issues that I've seen throughout this forum and like I said many seem to lack technical details of the problem or the possible solution. But this is what a forum is about, for common fellow people to meet and chat bout their Traverse concerns. Just please dont jump to conclusions about it being a crappy vehicle becuase lets be honest, you go to any other vehicle forum and you will also find a sh*t load of "common" problems with any given car or truck.

Wife and I own a 2010 Traverse, bought used w 60k miles and it runs strong, smooth, & very perky on accelerations :). We hear no noises from steering rack (hope never do), no visual leaks, no indicator lights of any sort etc etc so.... so far we love this vehicle.

I am a new member, I love cars, and have 17yrs experience in learning bout cars and repairing them (not a mechanic by trade tho). I would be more than happy to answer or share my thoughts with any of you that may have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Johnny (new member).

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Johnny:

I’ve had my 2011 2LT, bought used with 17K, for over 2 years and I’ve been reading this forum for that long. I am not going to pass judgment on the Traverse being a crappy car or not, as personally, the only problem I’ve had is the zip noise in the steering.

However, it appears to me that you need to read more than just 9 pages of the forum before you comment on the “common” Lambda issues. Most of the items you mention are rather superficial (e.g., mileage, K&N filter). There are quite a number of issues that you have not addressed, even though GM has fixed some of them over the years. Here are 10 just off the top of my head:

1. Timing change failure
2. Steering pump failure
3. Steering rack failure
4. Ignition coil failures
5. HVAC actuator failure
6. Gas tank vent valve failure
7. Transmission wave plate failure
8. Failure to start (numerous reasons)
9. Engine failure while on the road (numerous reasons)
10. Flash drive always plays from the top

I don’t believe most of these have anything to do with the person “lacking technical knowledge.” You don’t need technical knowledge to know something’s not right when the car stops getting you from point A to point B, or the A/C isn’t working.

As I said, I’m not going to comment on the quality of the car, and I know that forums only tend to attract people who’ve had problems. However, that being said, there are definitely a lot of issues with the Traverse that GM has NOT yet addressed, although I'd say we haven't seen a lot people complaining about the 2014's and 2015's yet.

I’m sure others will be chiming in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True. The things I mentioned are superficial but nonetheless they get people into the "yea, mine is defective too" mindset when in reality nothing may be wrong. I see quite a bit of these Lambdas on the road.

Maybe its just me since I havent had any issues mine. But like I said, you go into any given forum of any brand model etc and all you see is "the bad" and as you stated its because forums attract users w problems. Such examples are Audi's w timing chain issues, BMW w VANOS issues, etc.

If I had the money, personally I would have gone w a Toyota Sequoia but looking under the hood of my Traverse, all I see is quality manufacturers on components like BOSCH & DELPHI. These components are not of cheap "DELCO REMY" of yesteryear. In any case, im new to the forum and will consider myself part of this pack... just hopefully im here to help rather than to share bad experiences.

·
Registered
145 Posts
MotorsportSpecialties said:
True. The things I mentioned are superficial but nonetheless they get people into the "yea, mine is defective too" mindset when in reality nothing may be wrong. I see quite a bit of these Lambdas on the road.

Maybe its just me since I havent had any issues mine. But like I said, you go into any given forum of any brand model etc and all you see is "the bad" and as you stated its because forums attract users w problems. Such examples are Audi's w timing chain issues, BMW w VANOS issues, etc.

If I had the money, personally I would have gone w a Toyota Sequoia but looking under the hood of my Traverse, all I see is quality manufacturers on components like BOSCH & DELPHI. These components are not of cheap "DELCO REMY" of yesteryear. In any case, im new to the forum and will consider myself part of this pack... just hopefully im here to help rather than to share bad experiences. op
Can I add my 3 cents? Most of the problems that people are having are the years 2009 to 2012, give or take... these models were poorly engineered and have had several recalls. The engineering has changed on the rack n pinion because it would not make sense to keep replacing defected parts with new, defected parts. Besides the 10 items, my 2010 traverse has had the struts replaced twice with in six months (prob because it's the rack n pinion, not the struts however, rack is not covered under warranty) The previous owner had the steering gear replaced, seals and pump... the previous owner had the vehicle over heat and HVAC issues... as the current owner, I had HVAC issues and I am losing antifreeze fluid however, no visible leaks that I can see only a low reservoir after the dealership supposedly, flushed and filled... brought to another dealer, they topped of the reservoir and now its low again... I hear the grinding in the steering and I have had the steering problems at low speeds. Check out the Class Action Lawsuit against GM for the steering issues here... General Motors named in class action lawsuit over faulty steering system in GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, and Chevrolet Traverse vehicles.

I have owned a 96 Chevy S 10 Blazer (lemon) 99,01,07 Tahoe, 02,04,05 Crew Cab Diesel... and the 2010 Traverse.... I bet this is the last Chevy unless someone takes this hunk of junk back and shows good faith! This vehicle is a LEMON! Thanks for letting me voice my concern and opinion.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Other than #10 - Flash drive always plays from the top, most other concerns have been fixed on 2013+ Traverse models....

We have a 2013 LTZ FWD with over 26,600 miles, and other than a NAV update have had no issues nor complaints...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have found that if I use cheap flash drives they always play from the top. If I buy an expensive one with fast memory it doesn't do that. Playing music from the usb can be finicky at times. Sometimes you will have to try several flash drives to find one the stereo likes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys, I truly hope im not "jinxing" myself here cause like I said we just bought a used 2010 Traverse w 60,000 miles on it and runs amazingly strong, smooth and quiet.... no odd noises no fluid leaks no chassis squeeks or squeals etc. But again, its new to us I just cross my fingers and hope this bad batch of lambdas has passes. Mine is a late 2010 Lansing, MI built. Hopefully timing chain issue is long gone....

I will however, say that the milage could have been better for being a DGI motor.... but nontheless I like a little bit of power too and these engines do give good little feeling while giving it some gas.

Since no one has yet posted statistics about the K&N Filter vs Stock I will document my experiences w it as I am looking to getting one for it soon... stay tuned!

·
Registered
42 Posts
DVelasco68 said:
Other than #10 - Flash drive always plays from the top, most other concerns have been fixed on 2013+ Traverse models....
I recently purchased a 2014 LS, and I was curious, did GM admit it fixed issues, or are forum members assuming because 2013/2014 aren't having some of these issues that they were fixed?
Did part numbers change? was there any official confirmation that things were fixed? I know the timing chains were changed mid 2010, and the wave plates were an issue until mid 2010, but what about the water pump and power steering and AC issues? was there any confirmation of changes?

I am hoping that my decision to buy a 2014 was a good one (buy the vehicle with good parts and a warranty), but I would sleep better knowing if GM has acknowledged any of these changes, because when I asked the dealership, the salesman said 2012 to 2013 were cosmetic changes, not mechanical (which almost pushed me to a 2011 or 2012 to save some bucks).

If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With respect to car salesman (on the job aspect), many are just that. Salesmen, and many will bullshit their way into a sale while knowing little about the car in terms of performance & specs. I have not looked into the newer models but I am sure GM has addressed the issues. As of now, there seems to be no recalls on the new lambdas and US News Best Cars & The Auto Connection have ratings and reviews of 8/10 stars for the traverse. The only complaints are the weight of vehicle, mpg and a tranny that is a bit reluctant to downshift - not sure if an actual problem of what.... but you shouldn't have to worry bout these issues as much as the 08 & 09 owners.

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
cmcclive said:
I know the timing chains were changed mid 2010, and the wave plates were an issue until mid 2010, but what about the water pump and power steering and AC issues? was there any confirmation of changes?

Thanks
2010 chains-- only seen a couple of cases on here.
2010 wave plate- only seen a couple of cases on here
2010 water pumps- yes- they have the extended warranty 120,000 or 10 yrs.
2010 power steering- yes- varies.
2010 AC- varies

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=9793.msg109593;topicseen#new

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the info, I don't mean to stir the pot, I just want to get a feel for if the any of the claimed gen1 problems are carrying over into gen2.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
the salesman said 2012 to 2013 were cosmetic changes, not mechanical
How do you know when a salesman is lying? His LIPS ARE MOVING!!!

Seriously, anyone who's done even a little bit of sleuthing on the internet on any car he's interested in buying almost certainly knows more about the vehicle than the salesman.

The dealers spend their resources on teaching the salesmen HOW to sell a vehicle to the unknowing, rather than having them actually learn about the vehicle so they can correctly respond to questions.

This actually makes perfect sense (unfortunately), because 90% of their customers will believe anything they tell them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
MotorsportSpecialties said:
...As of now, there seems to be no recalls on the new lambdas ...
There are two recalls on the 2013s: Front passenger airbag service light, and front seat belt anchors.

Other than having both of those fixed (which only cost a little time at the dealership), our 2013 1LT has just turned over 25,000 miles with no problems.

But -- How many people want to read posts like "I drove my Traverse to work this week, all week, and it ran like a fine watch."?

Bad news always sells, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this forum. We purchased a 2013 Traverse with the All Star Edition package with 24901 miles on it. At purchase, the recall issues were fixed and so far have had no real issues. I'm glad I found this forum as I've learned about some of the problems encountered with earlier model years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi .. i just bought this chevy traverse 2010 lt model it has 170k on it and it looks like awesome to me.. yes when you start the engine in the morning sounds like ticking sounds but after a while it will gone... my problem now is the sway bar bushing and the dealer will change it tomorrow... and also i have a problem in my Bluetooth pairing because is on French i dont know how to change it into English... about the K&N filter my previous GM vehicle has that filter and more power to the engine... i might buy and put it also in my Traverse but its to pricey ...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have a 2017 model and nothing so far except that the heating in very cold climate is very poor. Under car antifreeze lines not insulated and by the time the antifreeze reach the back heater it is not hot anymore. Otherwise this vehicle has been perfect so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 Traverse AWD with the LT trim. Now with 185,000 miles, there have been ~$10K in repairs (failed parts, not routine maintenance) over the lifetime of the vehicle. Just did the math on whether to buy a new car, so wanted to share my traverse history here. I've been a happy user of the site for troubleshooting and repairs, and wanted to contribute.

-water pump - replaced twice under warranty (first two failed and left me stranded)
-steering rack - replaced twice (~$1500 each time)
-front struts
-front lower control arms
-timing chain at 160K (~$3000)
-throttle body at 140K
-transmission control module rebuild at 180K
-oil pressure sensor
-front wheel bearing
-rear lift gate shocks - under warranty
-rear washer fluid pump
-engine mounts
-vapor purge valve

As a comparison our 2007 Honda Odyssey has had two major repairs - steering rack on my dime, and two power door motors on warranty.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
  1. This is one of the reason I prefer to buy the last of the model year built. I did the same with my Chevy Uplander 2009 and in both cases i did not regret. I know very well that my Traverse 2017 is depreciating much faster than the new Gen2 2018 but I dont care. Buying a new model just introduced to the public is always a challenge. At least my 2017 has never give me any problems so far. It was the same with my last year Uplander production and if I dig deeper in the past my 1984 Chevy Citation was far more reliable than the first production X Cars from the year 1980. ( Buick Skylark, Oldsmobile Omega, Pontiac Phoenix and the Citation.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I must have gotten lucky with my 2009 Mazda6 (1st yr of 2nd gen)?? (I don't think so) 104K miles. Other than normal scheduled maintenance, NO repairs except for 2 exhaust clamp bolts about 5 years ago. I can live with that!!! Best car I've ever owned. My daughter has a 2015 Mazda3 (3rd yr of 3rd gen) with a lot of miles that's also had zero maintenance issues.

That being said, our 2011 Traverse (4th yr of 1st gen if you count the Outlook) went 100K without any real issues (cleaned TB once) in the 5 yrs we had it. Our 2017 (10th year of 1st gen) has about 55K; I've replaced one O2 sensor and the purge valve in December.

But frankly, I think the Asian manufacturers have done a better job overall with their 1st generations than the Big 3.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts