Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Chevy Traverse and lately we will be driving and the circulation button on the ac shuts off by itself. it happens often and then last week we were driving and noticed the circulation button shut off and then the whole car shut down and then came right back on. We took it to our local chevy dealer and they said that they couldnt find anything wrong and we asked about the ac and he said that was normal and that all cars circulation buttons shut off to let the old air out and then comes back on. i have never heard that and never noticed it before. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

A

·
0 Posts
jbo002 said:
I have a 2009 Chevy Traverse and lately we will be driving and the circulation button on the ac shuts off by itself. it happens often and then last week we were driving and noticed the circulation button shut off and then the whole car shut down and then came right back on. We took it to our local chevy dealer and they said that they couldnt find anything wrong and we asked about the ac and he said that was normal and that all cars circulation buttons shut off to let the old air out and then comes back on. i have never heard that and never noticed it before. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
What model is your Traverse?

You mentioned the whole car shutdown; are you saying the engine stopped running and then came back on?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Not to thread jack... but we have a similar, but not the same issue.

I will almost always run the Max A/C (recirculate) once in the Traverse for a while. Then we will get out, go into the store, and it is literally a crap shoot when we get back out to see if the recirculate button is back off, or on. It doesn't appear there is a rhyme or reason, it is just off sometimes, and on sometimes. At least on the GXP, I knew that it was always going to be off as soon as I started the car, and with my truck, it is always on. Seems they can't make up their minds. :)

A

·
0 Posts
I have noticed this as well if I shutdown my vehicle with the HVAC in a manual setting. I will say that if I shutdown with the HVAC in AUTO (for those with Tri-Zone HVAC) the HVAC comes back on as previously set. I think in manual; the HVAC starts cooling using outside air as a default and then you can set recirculate after the system has cooled the inside air

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AA/78U said:
What model is your Traverse?

You mentioned the whole car shutdown; are you saying the engine stopped running and then came back on?
i believe it is an LT but im not sure its a manual ac unit. and yes the engine stopped running and we came to a sudden stop and then everything came back on.

A

·
0 Posts
jbo002 said:
i believe it is an LT but im not sure its a manual ac unit. and yes the engine stopped running and we came to a sudden stop[/color] and then everything came back on.
if this were me I would drop it off at the dealer and demand a fix (and a rental); something is definitely wrong if the engine stops

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AA/78U said:
if this were me I would drop it off at the dealer and demand a fix (and a rental); something is definitely wrong if the engine stops
we did that they said that they couldnt find anything wrong with it and they said that the ac is supposed to cut off the recirculation by itself to get old air out

A

·
0 Posts
I can't answer to the recirculation issue-I guess it's plausible that this would occur

The engine shutting down is another story-is there another dealer in your area?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Ours does this with the Automatic setting. Still the recirculation will sometimes come back on, but not always. Not a big issue, as the A/C works great in these 100+ * days, just a curiousity.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
GXPWeasel said:
Not to thread jack... but we have a similar, but not the same issue.

I will almost always run the Max A/C (recirculate) once in the Traverse for a while. Then we will get out, go into the store, and it is literally a crap shoot when we get back out to see if the recirculate button is back off, or on. It doesn't appear there is a rhyme or reason, it is just off sometimes, and on sometimes. At least on the GXP, I knew that it was always going to be off as soon as I started the car, and with my truck, it is always on. Seems they can't make up their minds. :)
On the Traverse, the recirculate button will default to the off position each time the vehicle is shut off and then restarted.

bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
jbo002 said:
we did that they said that they couldnt find anything wrong with it and they said that the ac is supposed to cut off the recirculation by itself to get old air out
After 8500 miles of trips this summer, I can tell you the recirculation button never shut down to allow old air out. Mine stays on recirc. all the time, due to my desire to want it that way.What a statement for the service folks to make. My unit is manual, there is no need to vent air out.

Bob

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2009 with climate control turns the recirc button on and off in auto mode, never shuts down the engine.

·
Registered
312 Posts
09 LTZ stays on recirc all the time unless the button is pushed to turn it fresh air. I, too, leave it on recirc most of the time. Automatic climate control, if that matters.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It would seem that maybe those of us with the automatic climate control have varying outcomes when it comes to the recirc button. My thinking is now this.... The Auto climate control knows whether the system will be most efficient to bring the passengers temperature setting down with the A/C using either fresh air, or the recirc setting. My guess is, the hotter it is inside the vehicle, when compared to outside, the better chance that the system will use the fresh air feature, until the air inside is then cooler than the outside temperature, then switch to recirc. After all, this is what a person is supposed to do when using the manual setting anyways. If our Auto temp control units are smart enough to know this, then I'm just going to quit touching my recirc button, and see what happens.

I should have a good test coming up this weekend as we are taking a mini road trip.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If the vehicle is hot inside the cabin, the recirc feature will recycle and cool the air within the cabin faster, rather than bring in hot, fresh air from outside the cabin.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts