Traverse Forum banner

Choosing the right after market hitch?

11K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Njtraverse 
#1 ·
Hey. I'm interested in adding an aftermarket class 3 hitch to my 2019. I'm pretty handy and would like to do the install myself... Prefer a drilless installation. Is that feasible? Any recommendations? Any kits that will allow me to hide the hitch behind the plastic cover? Appreciate your thoughts n experiences.

#3 · (Edited)
etrailer has this:
Check out the reviews and pictures. It doesn't seem too difficult to install.

Edit: Amazon has the Draw-Tite for much cheaper than eTrailer at the moment.

You'll also need a wiring harness for lights. One option:

Or you could go with the OEM kit:

#6 ·
Just installed a class 3 hitch from etrailer in March. No drilling and went in per instructions. Easy, but make sure you chase the threads. This will take the most time. Part number from etrailer is 75528N. Wiring harness is 118271. I suggest you call etrailer to make sure all the numbers match your application. Good luck.

#7 · (Edited)
GENE, what year is your Traverse? Part number 75528 looks like it is for the 1st generation Traverse.

For 2nd generation, 2018+, I would suggest the Draw-Tite 76184 or the GM OEM receiver.

Edit: Amazon has the Draw-Tite for much cheaper than eTrailer at the moment.

#13 ·
There are several good youtube videos on the installation of that Draw-tite 76184. A couple from etrailer and one from uHaul. No drilling should be required but you will need to drop the exhaust a little.

This DIY video is worth checking out as well. He mentions that he needed to use a dremel to widen a hole a little bit, but some reviews say their receiver didn't require that and they lined up right out of the box. Just worth noting.

#14 ·
I would buy the Draw-Tite 76184 from somewhere other than eTrailer right now because of the price. They are usually very competitive, but not on this item at the moment.
eTrailer currently has it marked up at $241 while Amazon and a couple other sites have it for $130.

#17 ·
Amazon says it is compatible with the 2018 Traverse but not the 2019, which is incorrect. And like you said, eTrailer shows that part number fitting the 2018, 2019, and 2020. I bet Amazon just doesn't have all the current years added to their compatibility database for this item, and you will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.