Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved from a Tahoe to a Traverse High Country (With the tow package just because the High Country comes with) because we travel from DFW TX to Sarasota FL area regularly and wanted a car w/better gas mileage/road handling but still storage—
we have enjoyed our Traverse—had one problem that was taken care of by dealership software upgrade....but CoVid has put a crimp in our travel...

My husband does not want to drive straight through and it would be all him because I don’t like to drive that car and have bad night vision anyway. He wants to buy a small teardrop style camper—like a NuCamp lightweight to pull...

I have read comments on other threads about weight of trailers plus contents plus cars weight—
we are going to look at RV dealership tomorrow (with our masks)
for those of you with experience towing what would be the size/weight of a trailer you would feel safe pulling.
My husband is excellent driver and not type to push limits and has experience driving larger trucks. We had a boat in the early 80s and he hated to pull it W/car we had then...one reason he doesn’t want to get larger/heavier trailer...

I understand he will have to get the towing electrical plug connected—will he need anything like transmission cooler—there are hills and some pretty tall overpasses on the route we use to drive back and forth to FL...but no real mountains...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I believe Chevy puts all of the weight ratings on a sticker in the door jamb now. But if you do have the factory tow package you are good up to 5,000 lbs, any teardrop camper should be half or less.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I pulled a 2012 Forest River Roo 19 hybrid for one season. It weighed about 4000 lbs loaded. I wasn't a happy camper. It would run in 4th gear at around 3200 rpm on straight and level interstate at 65 mph. Any slight increase in slope would drop it down in 3rd gear. Never went into 6th gear unless it was a really steep down-slope. I bought a decent pickup truck and was a lot happier. It's not the weight so much as the drag of the huge sail you're pulling down the road. A tear drop would be a lot better; it will be lighter and more aerodynamic. I wouldn't go over 3500 lbs, though.
Note that while your tow capacity is 5000 lbs, your payload might be more limiting depending on what all you want to take along. The payload is on a sticker on your drivers door frame with the tire pressures. It will say something like "occupants and cargo should not exceed XX lbs."

When you shop for a trailer, ignore the UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight), aka "dry weight." The trailer will never weigh that. Instead, look for the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) on a sticker on the front drivers side of the trailer and use that. Assume that 13% of the GVWR will be tongue weight on your hitch.

Now subtract the trailers tongue weight from the payload number. Then subtract your weight, your husbands weight, and the wieght of anything else you put in the Traverse. If you have anything left over, you're good to go.

Popups and teardrops shouldn't be a major issue. Full size trailers are a whole different thing. That being said, there are people here pulliing full size trailers and are happy.

Finally, ignore any RV salesman who just looks out the window at your car and says, "Oh, your Traverse can pull this trailer" if he hasn't done the math.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks—I emailed your weight comments to my husband...he is looking at a teardrop design—NuCamp TagXL specifically—-light and low—basically a bed on wheels w/outside camp kitchen Under a clamshell cover...

·
Registered
154 Posts
The AWD Traverse with the towing package is rated for a maximum trailer weight of 5,000 lbs (trailer fully loaded with water and gear etc.) and a Gross Combined Weight Rating (weigh to Traverse with its load and the trailer with its load) of 10,250 lbs.

Another possible limitation is on the rear tires with the load from the trailer tongue combined with any load inside the Traverse. The side of the tire provides the maximum load rating and double that to know the load the rear tires can support.

Public CAT scales (find in yellow pages or online) charge about $15 to do a full weigh of the tow vehicle and the trailer and the print sheet they give you has the weight on the front wheels, the rear or drive wheels, and the weight of the trailer. With an RV I do the weighing before loading gear and again when fully loaded for a trip.

Another consideration is air drag and a teardrop or Burro type proved relatively little wind resistance. But air drag increase with the square of you speed so at 70 mph the drag is 4x as great as at 35 mph. With so many people switching to smaller and more fuel efficent tow vehicles there are many lightweight trailers available like the [email protected] 400, Scotty S14/RB, Palomino Palo Mini, and Jayco 145RB. These all weigh under 3,000 lbs.

The websites devoted to RVer's are a good place to find owners experiences with particular manufacturers and their trailers, including post sale customer service.

A used trailer would save a fair amount of money as the new lightweigh trailers use a lot of aluminum and the Trump tariff jacked up the price of Canadian aluminum by 25% and the trailer manufactures have passed that along to their customers. A pre-Trump tariff cost the original owner thousands of dollars less.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What @greentraverse was towing is essentially worst case scenario within the tow rating. That thing is 3,383 pounds dry, so at least 4,000 pounds loaded (it can hold 750 pounds of water alone) and is rated up to 4,770 pounds. More important is the front surface and that thing is a few degrees from a brick. Trying to tow that at highway speeds is just too much for any crossover SUV, other than probably a Durango with the Hemi.

The Traverse would be fine towing a pop-up, smaller teardrop, or even a boat that's around 4,000 lbs or less when fully loaded simply because they are all aerodynamic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts