Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to take dad to airport- LAX.
Load up- luggage etc. Stop and get gas. And hop on the freeway.
Its about 45 miles 1 way.
We drive there sensibly. I was up to 28.1 MPG.... It dropped a little when we got stuck in the airport traffic.
Then I drive home and snap the pic of the mileage. 27.3 MPG. about 90 miles round trip.... then I have to run an errand and then get to work- I had to take some streets so it dropped a little. But after 109 miles of travel im at 26.6 MPG....

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah-- now I really want to take a trip up to maybe Santa barbara or out to Vandenberg AFB. See what kind of MPG I get doing that.
On a side note... my dino oil currently has 4500 miles on it. 57% OLM.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
my dino oil currently has 4500 miles on it. 57% OLM.
Are you going to send it off at 5k miles or wait till the OLM reads...50% or...?

I take it you will replace this dino with...something prior to getting back the results of this UOA?

What are your plans in this regard?

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning on maybe 5500 or 6000- not sure yet.
I will change the oil at that mileage.
Im basing the 5500/6000 on my previous UOA- where they said I could try 6000 on the next oil.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Awesome. I can am looking forward to the drive to Lansing, MI for the plant tour June 25. Then I will be able to get a tank full or two through with straight highway kilometres. Right now I'm still easily getting 20.5 MPG and higher in combined city and hwy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: That’s great when I go on vacation I need to remember to track mine to see what we get. I will more than likely not do that good because I have a heavy foot. But if I leave it on cruse you never know.

8) Steve

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
I am planning on maybe 5500 or 6000- not sure yet.
I will change the oil at that mileage.
But you will do a complete drain before getting the results of the UOA? So are your replacing it with more dino? Or maybe in the time before you have to do your change you will see someone else post a stellar UOA for this DI engine :-\.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will drain- take a sample mid-drain. and put more Dino back in.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
I will drain- take a sample mid-drain. and put more Dino back in.
Well given your moderate climate and driving routine, if anyone is to get by with dino in this oil beating engine, it is you.
(Your great gas mileage is likely a good indication that your engine is doing well with your choice of conventional oil)

For my situation I wouldnt be able to sleep knowing dino is in the sump ;).

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
rbarrios,

What brand of oil are you using? I'm only at 3400km, so I'm not quite ready for my first oil change. I will do that at 5000km. I ordered my UOA kit from Blackstone last week. I am also planning to use conventional dino for our Traverse. I don't see the need to spend the extra $ on synthetic. That is strictly my own opinion and I have no intention on hijacking this thread. :p

Mark

·
Registered
994 Posts
Quantum said:
I ordered my UOA kit from Blackstone last week. I am also planning to use conventional dino for our Traverse. I don't see the need to spend the extra $ on synthetic. That is strictly my own opinion and I have no intention on hijacking this thread. :p
Continuing the hijack :-[

Mark,

I am glad to see you are planning on doing a UOA(s).

Please know that one can easily find on sale synthetic oil that approaches the price of conventional oil. And you have the added advantage of having easy access to the USA where PCMO is much less expensive than what we find here in Canada. And an oil such as the highly regarded Pennzoil Ultra is for now *only* available south of the border.

If much of your driving routine is mainly HWY miles than possibly a dino oil may be good enough. Stop and go traffic and short trips are very hard on an oil. As such driving in winter is doubly hard (although NFalls is approaching barrios' LA with regards to a moderate climate ;)).

But a couple of UOAs (one covering an OCI of good weather and one for winter) will give you a good indication whether you have selected the correct oil.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I only can wish we had LA weather here year round!! I am not a fan of winter/snow/ice. I don't mind driving in it, I enjoy skiing, but I really just don't care for it to last for 5 months! A couple weeks would be good enough! :)

But then I can't stand HOT HOT weather either. A year round 60-85 degrees would be good for me!

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quantum said:
rbarrios,

What brand of oil are you using? I'm only at 3400km, so I'm not quite ready for my first oil change. I will do that at 5000km. I ordered my UOA kit from Blackstone last week. I am also planning to use conventional dino for our Traverse. I don't see the need to spend the extra $ on synthetic. That is strictly my own opinion and I have no intention on hijacking this thread. :p

Mark
Valvoline 5W-30.

·
Registered
13 Posts
rbarrios said:
I was up to 28.1 MPG.... It dropped a little when we got stuck in the airport traffic.
Then I drive home and snap the pic of the mileage. 27.3 MPG. about 90 miles round trip.... then I have to run an errand and then get to work- I had to take some streets so it dropped a little. But after 109 miles of travel im at 26.6 MPG....
Pretty nice if you ask me!
Come on... you showoffs.... I hate all you guys who say they get 26 and 27 mpg.... :angryfire: :angryfire:
I never got 18+ in city/hwy combined... :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just did a quick trip over the weekend, just 275 miles round trip and did 20.9 mpg with my 2009 AWD

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
samnjinu said:
Come on... you showoffs.... I hate all you guys who say they get 26 and 27 mpg.... :angryfire: :angryfire:
I always get 18-20 MPG combined.... DIC and Hand calc verified.

the current tank- that showed the mpg in the pic above-- well I did more in city driving this weekend with the family-- and as of this morning- its down to 24.1 MPG.

·
Registered
324 Posts
samnjinu said:
If your engine's broke in, just get on a level freeway on a calm day, set your cruise control at 55 mph, reset your DIC's average mpg readout, and I bet you'll do it too.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I gassed up yesterday.
the same tank that showed 27 MPG- once I drove around on city streets etc for a few days...it dropped.
Hand calculation- based on when the fuel pump shut off- I calculated 23.4 MPG.
This is what the DIC showed.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
That's great! :thumb:

I see my mileage increasing now too. Only 3500km on the odo, but I'm currently running 22.8MPG on this tank. And I'm not using Tier 1 gas either. The stuff I'm using is from Sam's Club and contains 10% ethanol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts