Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We've been enjoying our Traverse since mid June, with one exception.

Our check engine light has come one 3 times in the past month. The code states that the car isn't idling properly, high rpms. But it isn't doing so. Dealer says there's nothing from GM on how to solve this issue and they expect GM to send a computer update to fix the problem, but don't know when. They found something which claims that perhaps an oil change could solve it?

Since I get to take the car in tomorrow morning, I'm trying to decide what to tell them. Wife is growing very frustrated with the purchase. Is there someone to escalate the matter to? I'm starting to believe there IS a problem since it's been triggered so often.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
the oil change may do it... it is possible...
On Trailblazers... theres a small sensor that has little screens.... sometimes the screens get clogged and the sensor reports eratic readings... causing somekind of code to be set and I think idle problems too...

many times a change of oil will fix it...
others change the oil and remove the sensor and clean the screens...
Maybe --- just maybe--- this is similar on the traverse

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
the oil change may do it... it is possible...
For sure I am no mechanic but I find this very unlikely that this will 'fix' the CHECK ENGINE light :confused:.

Mcornell, you have had the car for less than 2 months. What does the odometer read?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Since the dealer stated that changing oil may fix the problem-- the Travy engine may have a Camshaft Position Actuator.....
hard to believe... but it is possible... I was surprissed when I read about it... but several Trailblazer/Envoy members have experienced the problem-- and the check engine light and the rough idle....most of them changed the oil- and problem fixed..
If the engine in the Traverse has a similar sensor as the one in the Trailblazer--- this small sensor can cause idle issues...
heres an example...

This below is for Trailblazers and its siblings.... but may be similat to the traverse engines....
From the troubleshooting section in the service manual concerning malfunction of the exhaust cam phaser system:

"Engine oil has a major impact upon the camshaft actuation system's responsiveness. Oil temperature, viscosity, and quality can slow and/or inhibit the phaser's ability to reach a desired phase angle."

Also you might check the electrical connector to the cam phase actuator just below the dipstick.

This is from the April 2006 GM Techlink...

Camshaft Actuator System Debris

This information applies to 2005-06 Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer,
GMC Envoy and Saab 9-7x with 4.2L Engine (VIN S-RPO LL8).

On rare occasions, a rough idle or running concern may be encountered
with a P0014 and /or P0017 DTC. Due to the rough idle, a P0106
DTC may also be stored. This may be due to debris in the camshaft
actuator system, which may be caused by a missing camshaft actuator
solenoid screen or a worn crankshaft thrust bearing.

Follow SI diagnostics and repair as necessary. If the SI diagnostics do
not isolate the cause of this concern, ensure that the screens are in place.

If any of the screens is missing, replace the camshaft actuator solenoid
and change the engine oil and filter.

heres what the sensor looks like on the 4200 engines...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts