Traverse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Traverse is coming up to its first anniversary of service (approx. 13k miles in this first year). If I remember :-[ I change the air filter on my vehicles once year. I know this is for sure much more frequent than is indicated in the owner's manual but it is my understanding that a clean air filter is just or more important than a clean oil filter. Anyways I am just wondering for you who have more miles on your Traverse (or even maybe similarly to mine), if you have changed out the filter? Was it 'dirty'?

I see that there are...6 screws to remove. I am just wondering what is the least amount of clamps(s)/connector(s) (in addition to the 6 screws) that *must* be removed to be able to remove and replace the filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I replaced my air filter with a FRAM for $33.00 which is expensive compared to the other cars I have owned. But the procedure was easy by unscrewing the few screws that you mentioned. My filter was slightly soiled after 12 months and about 13,000 miles.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
doesnt the manual have a fairly long interval? Ill do mine at 1 yr also... which may be about 20,000.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rbarrios said:
doesnt the manual have a fairly long interval?
If I was guessing it would be something closer to 50k miles ???

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
orlandjoe said:
I replaced my air filter with a FRAM for $33.00 which is expensive compared to the other cars I have owned.
Just curious why you went to a FRAM rather than staying with the OEM?

·
Registered
381 Posts
The air filter maintenance interval is 50K miles. Mine was barely dirty at 30K. I will let it in until later. There is some internet suggestions that a clean filter doesn't trap as small a particle as a used one, but eventually you get too clogged and restrict air flow.

As for Fram, what do they look like and how long are they good for?

If you paid $33 for a Fram you paid way too much. I paid less than $20 from Amazon (free shipping on my order because I also got some wipers). Even if you had to pay shipping, unless your from Canada it would be less than that for a long lasting filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used FRAM because it is a brand name that I trust. I also did look at Amazon.com but with shipping the cost would be the same. My used filter was not that dirty so I will inspect it next year before buying a replacement.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
medicrxdoc said:
The air filter maintenance interval is 50K miles. Mine was barely dirty at 30K. I will let it in until later.
I changed out mine yesterday (1 year and 13k miles) and yes it was barely dirty. (See attached picture). I will now change it every *two* years. (I see that the OEM is made in Korea)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
copperbeech said:
I changed out mine yesterday (1 year and 13k miles) and yes it was barely dirty. (See attached picture). I will now change it every *two* years. (I see that the OEM is made in Korea)
I'm thinking we should feel "fortunate" the Traverse is not made in Korea.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts