Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove the catalytic converter on a 2009 chevy traverse and not get a CEL.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Depending where you live I am sure that if you remove the converter and connect direct your Traverse will not pass the CEL ( certificate) .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending where you live I am sure that if you remove the converter and connect direct your Traverse will not pass the CEL ( certificate) .
Will the Check Engine Light come on if i delete the cat, not worried about emission, i live in the Cayman Islands, no emission laws lol, once we have a muffler there is no problem, or will it cause the engine rough idle or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The engine light may come on. Beside that I dont think there will be any issues beside pollution the air. If you would live here we have to pass the emission test every 5 years and in the US every year. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine light may come on. Beside that I dont think there will be any issues beside pollution the air. If you would live here we have to pass the emission test every 5 years and in the US every year. Good luck.
Dont think i am going to remove them, in the Cayman islands we are so small there is always a cross wind taking the pollution out to sea so no laws for it as yet.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Unless they are blocked I would leave them alone.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Your welcome.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would say most likely the CEL will come on cause the computer will not be getting the information it needs from the O2 sensor. There are O2 sensor simulators that you plug into the connector that will fool the computer.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, you will get cat inefficiency codes from the rear O2s seeing the exact same values as the fronts.

<----- few cats removed from OBD2 vehicles :)

O2 sims are hard to find these days since they were made illegal a decade or so ago. You could pay someone to tune out the codes, though I have to check if HP Tuners supports the Traverse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My CEL goes on and off randomly, always the catalytic converter code. Check out this video I found. I plan on trying it soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts